• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Are you disparaging us yaoi fangirls?

(Not that I have time for fanfics, fan art, etc. Too busy working myself to death like the rest of us. At least once a week I'm reminded of an old country western song from my childhood-"Another day older & deeper in debt. Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go. I owe my soul to the company store.")

And I was hesitant to say negative. It does seem to be more this site has such a variety of posters, every title has critics waiting to gloat over bad news. Sort of like the Kiss review I read once where the critic whined why was the band still on top when they should be pumping gas? I also learned then that a lot of critics are wanna-bes--it seemed every rock critic had a garage band he was in that never made it big so he started doing reviews
Naru2099

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
LOL. I'm just disparaging yaoi fanfic writers. Besides, I'm still proud that I got my sister into yaoi.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Righto then. because, you know, wanting to watch what you want, when you want, is a wholly stupid idea because Terek said so.

Hey, you're sharper than I thought! Nice.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

Look at it this way- those who wanted to buy One Piece are going to buy it regardless of whether you tell them it's a bad show, or that buying DVDs is a bad idea.

I'm sure that'll be true somewhere, with someone, but I don't think anyone cares about a couple people buying DVDs, right? We want a *ton* of people buying the DVDs, since all merchandising potential out of this series has been killed by 4Kids - no TCG sales, no toys, no games. The manga is molested on a tri-monthly basis by VIZ Media, who has no obligation to pay FUNimation anything, and we still have no idea if VIZ will still be taking a slice of the DVD distro profits.

Unless OP turns into some kind of Family Guy, no matter what absurd hopes you might have, this property is little more than dead weight. I'm probably a bigger OP fan than you are, and I'll be a Navarre investor to prove it - I have no faith in it ever becoming something big.

Of course, if the people who share your views did indeed only care about getting decent DVDs, they wouldn't care either way about the "popularity" of the title; sadly, most of those people just want OP to be more popular than Naruto and be out of 4Kids' hands just so they can justify their own fandom - they don't feel OP is worth reading unless it's the most popular manga in the world, and probably wouldn't have touched it if not for this popularity.

I'll personally testify to that; I was there in 2005, realized the truth and moved on. I'm just trying to point out the same to other people to spare them deep disappointment in the future.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

but it's stupid not to offer people a choice

They already had this "choice", and didn't go for it. If OP needs certain, complex conditions to be met before it can achieve something that even rivals Naruto, it's not a naturally appealing property in America like it was in the UK, Canada, and your own nation. America might be full of spoiled folk but they sure aren't so thick as to not recognize the merits of a title even amidst horrible butchering; just look at DBZ.

DBZ didn't gain recognition because it got a relatively uncut dub, it got recognition by virtue of its network - a network OP has been on for a year with multiple timeslots and yet hasn't gotten any distinguishing ratings.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Righto then. because, you know, wanting to watch what you want, when you want, is a wholly stupid idea because Terek said so.

Hey, you're sharper than I thought! Nice.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

Look at it this way- those who wanted to buy One Piece are going to buy it regardless of whether you tell them it's a bad show, or that buying DVDs is a bad idea.

I'm sure that'll be true somewhere, with someone, but I don't think anyone cares about a couple people buying DVDs, right? We want a *ton* of people buying the DVDs, since all merchandising potential out of this series has been killed by 4Kids - no TCG sales, no toys, no games. The manga is molested on a tri-monthly basis by VIZ Media, who has no obligation to pay FUNimation anything, and we still have no idea if VIZ will still be taking a slice of the DVD distro profits.

Unless OP turns into some kind of Family Guy, no matter what absurd hopes you might have, this property is little more than dead weight. I'm probably a bigger OP fan than you are, and I'll be a Navarre investor to prove it - I have no faith in it ever becoming something big.

Of course, if the people who share your views did indeed only care about getting decent DVDs, they wouldn't care either way about the "popularity" of the title; sadly, most of those people just want OP to be more popular than Naruto and be out of 4Kids' hands just so they can justify their own fandom - they don't feel OP is worth reading unless it's the most popular manga in the world, and probably wouldn't have touched it if not for this popularity.

I'll personally testify to that; I was there in 2005, realized the truth and moved on. I'm just trying to point out the same to other people to spare them deep disappointment in the future.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

but it's stupid not to offer people a choice

They already had this "choice", and didn't go for it. If OP needs certain, complex conditions to be met before it can achieve something that even rivals Naruto, it's not a naturally appealing property in America like it was in the UK, Canada, and your own nation. America might be full of spoiled folk but they sure aren't so thick as to not recognize the merits of a title even amidst horrible butchering; just look at DBZ.

DBZ didn't gain recognition because it got a relatively uncut dub, it got recognition by virtue of its network - a network OP has been on for a year with multiple timeslots and yet hasn't gotten any distinguishing ratings.

I'm having a bit of a hard time realizing why it is you're so negative about One Piece coming out on uncut DVD or being put back on TV. It almost sounds as if you had your way, you'd be the one there stopping folks from buying it, or putting a stop to it airing on CN. Why not just let something run it's course...if it sells, it sells. If not, then it doesn't. You're awfully vehement about this....more so than any one person should be it seems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:

I'm having a bit of a hard time realizing why it is you're so negative about One Piece coming out on uncut DVD or being put back on TV. It almost sounds as if you had your way, you'd be the one there stopping folks from buying it, or putting a stop to it airing on CN. Why not just let something run it's course...if it sells, it sells. If not, then it doesn't. You're awfully vehement about this....more so than any one person should be it seems.

Because Malintex Terek lives in another world, where he thinks since he is putting five grand in to Navaree instead of I dunno, investing that money in having a life makes him automatically the market expert (which includes investing in a series that is not only expensive but a gauranteed failure, relativley speaking).

I'm not expecting it to be a Naruto-esque success because I know it won't ever be. I will admit that One Piece's relative failure in the US market wasn't entirely 4Kids fault, given that OP is a very non-conventional series. As I described it before, it's a rubber boy who wants to be a pirate fighting clowns and people made of electricity with a swordsman, a chef, a reindeer-doctor, bart simpson with a big nose and/or mask and a bunch of sluts. It's never going to reach that sort of pinnacle because a. It's a premise and concept that only can be exectured in countries like Japan, and B. because it's not got SUPER RAD POWERUP NINJAAAAS goku.

However, what choice was given, regards to the show? They had a badly edited dub on TV... and a badly edited dub on DVD. That is not an option, not for me, anyway. Overall, I do not want it to become a breakaway success, and I do know that it is not going to be a breakaway success. Damage done, right? That doesn't mean it can't eventually pick itself back up, and that doesn't nessecerally mean it's going to do badly. Remember, it rated highest with teens and what not, so telling it as more of a teenage based program might actually do it some good. It's a risk- a fairly big one, but it's still a risk that is worth taking.

In the end, regardless, it doesnt matter- it's going on TV, it's coming out on DVD, people will or won't watch/buy it. This is something atleast X ammount of people have been waiting in vain for and it's finally come to fruition. Just let it be, and if you do by any chance invest the money, go and complain directly to them or do it in the 'One Piece: Worth Watching?" thread, because honestly, you will do a lot better there than here.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote
You know, this thread needs some sanity-checks.

First, the only thing that makes a person a "true fan" is loving the series you claim to be a fan of.

Yes, it is a mark of a "good" fan that you buy stuff so that the creator of said series either gets money directly or is seen by companies as profitable, meaning that they will want to license/publish/whatever his/her next series. However, a person doesn't have to be a "good" fan to be a "true fan." It only takes love in my opinion to be a "true fan."

Second, why is there so much gripping and whining going on around on this thread anyway? The worst dub in recent history is axed and slated to be replaced with a superior effort and people are COMPLAINING? I'm not even a big One Piece fan and I'm very happy with this development.

Third, fanfic can be good or bad. Let's judge it on a case by case please. I've written a few non-anime fanfics. Actually plan to write a few for anime but haven't finished them. Gunslinger Girl and NOIR ones if anyone cares to know. Fanfic, being written by non-professionals, trends toward amatuerish but there are some darn good ones too.
HenriettaHaruhi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Hello! Smile

I wanted to say that not everyone who watches One Piece feels the way that some of the posters here feel. I for one am very happy that One Piece has now got a chance to bring more people to the story. I am glad that for the first time in America One Piece will be shown as it really is rather than the watered down messed up version that 4Kids made.

Is One Piece going to be as big as Naruto? Who can say at this time. However if it never is who cares. A lot of shows never become that popular. But they gain fans and make a profit.

Funimation is not a studio that does not put in a great effort to make the products that they have into some form of success. They have time to put a good effort to make One Piece a success.

I have also been reading a lot about the Viz Manga. This topic has nothing to do with the manga of One Piece it has to do with the anime.

Now I believe that One Piece has a chance to get more people now. The story may not have ninjas but the pirates of One Piece are very diverse and interesting especially of they are shown as who they are instead of the constant pun spouting villians and heros they have been made to look like.

So I wanted to say that I am happy that One Piece has a chance to shine finally. I believe that once more people get to see Luffy and the others as they are I believe they will be more impressed by the show.

Now I can not wait to get my uncut DVDs of the show with extras. I am looking forward to getting to see the show without all of the stupid puns. I look forward to seeing who is cast in all the parts because Funimation has some great VAs. I am also really looking forward to getting to have the original score which is amazing.

All I can say is don't count this show out. I has a great potential and in the right hands I believe that it can do something great. Now to some here let those who have fought to save the honor of this show be happy. It is not everyday that something like this happens. Not many shows get to have a second chance like One Piece has now been given. Only time will tell what will happen.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Malintex:
Quote:
Only a clown would actually buy those uncut DVDs; sure, there was an incentive with 4Kids because they went overboard with the censorship, but spending $15 to see some jackarse smoking a cigarette instead of sucking a lolipop?

Considering the thought police are demanding that Hollywood movies which feature smoking be rated R or even banned, I'd say buying the dvds would be a great show of support for free speech. Plus it's a quite bit more than just cigs which have been omitted from the story.

Quote:
From my point of view, the Naruto uncut DVDs are just a way to siphon more money away from stupid fans - the edits in Naruto are so minor, unless someone wanted the Japanese dub it would be a waste to buy it.

It's possible that even Narutards don't have time to watch every episode, you know...

Quote:
I'm sure that'll be true somewhere, with someone, but I don't think anyone cares about a couple people buying DVDs, right? We want a *ton* of people buying the DVDs, since all merchandising potential out of this series has been killed by 4Kids - no TCG sales, no toys, no games.

And FUNimation can reach more people than 4Kids, so there's a possibility Op will be more lucrative under them.

Quote:
The manga is molested on a tri-monthly basis by VIZ Media, who has no obligation to pay FUNimation anything, and we still have no idea if VIZ will still be taking a slice of the DVD distro profits.

I'm guessing Viz didn't make any money on the dvds in the first place. They only agreed to distribute, so they could sell more of the manga. I can't imagine Kahn and Toei wanting a third party to cut in on their profits.

Quote:
Unless OP turns into some kind of Family Guy, no matter what absurd hopes you might have, this property is little more than dead weight.

I'm sure if it does as well as Hikaru No Go, that's all that matters.

Quote:
America might be full of spoiled folk but they sure aren't so thick as to not recognize the merits of a title even amidst horrible butchering; just look at DBZ.

DBZ succeeded, because it's mostly fighting and filler, and the filler was what was removed from the content. OP is more story-oriented, and 4Kids screwed with it to get more action. So I'm assuming what turned people off from it was
that they made it dumber than DBZ, if that's even possible.... Rolling Eyes

While I don't think it would be big, someone must want to buy OP, or Viz wouldn't continue publishing the manga. (At least at its current rate, anyway...)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
One Piece's "salvation" is suredly to come through the uncut DVDs, though the dub I'm sure that even the TV version will sound a lot better than 4kids' version. If anything, we don't have to be so paranoid in translation issues, just be happy that they're doing something about reviving the show.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

First, the only thing that makes a person a "true fan" is loving the series you claim to be a fan of.

<snip>

Second, why is there so much gripping and whining going on around on this thread anyway? The worst dub in recent history is axed and slated to be replaced with a superior effort and people are COMPLAINING? I'm not even a big One Piece fan and I'm very happy with this development.

AMEN. Once again Richard you save the boards from imploding under so much wangst. Smile

I knew from page one this thread would decend into madness -- it really is quite amazing how even the most seemingly positive news can make people go Crazy Complainypants all over everything. Sheesh! Very Happy

The fans actually got what they want! Let's be HAPPY about it, okay? Mr. Green
Drac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
I know I'm happy. I'll be glad to hear things like Arlong's voice without that stupid water effect and Enel calling himself God.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

<snip>

AMEN. Once again Richard you save the boards from imploding under so much wangst. Smile

I knew from page one this thread would decend into madness -- it really is quite amazing how even the most seemingly positive news can make people go Crazy Complainypants all over everything. Sheesh! Very Happy

The fans actually got what they want! Let's be HAPPY about it, okay? Mr. Green

But it's so much fun to argue with SaveOnePiece
Even if we are all basking in the One Piece Glow.
And know none of this is going to affect what Funi's doing
They're patient. Of all the licensing companies, they're one of the most patient or Fruits Basket would have been relegated to the bargain bins ages ago. NO ONE was buying it back when I was pitching it to everyone I knew as an excellent series for 12 yr old girls. Then they boxed it into a cheaper set(than the $35 per dvd I paid for it) & it caught on. ) Sort of the same issue I had with Hellsing, (telling everyone but no one seeming to listen) but that landed on tv which helped it. FB wasn't on any channel I'm aware of for it to catch on as it finally did-it was Funi's patience & support.
Of all the companies, they'll give One Piece a lot of time to show its colors.

And some have been speculating on the casting.

Not that anything said here will even have any influence on that either.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Funny thing, "Gomu" means rubber and last time I checked bubblegum and rubber have some big differences.......

I'm pretty sure that Funimation know better than to misname the main characters attacks and that just how they kept Yusuke's "Rei Gun" on the subs intead of translating it to "Spirit Gun" that at least on the subs it will remain CORRECT at Gomu Gomu No!

If you read Viz slop, please don't argue with the true fans.

I dare you to try and compete with me on One Piece cred.

That said, "Gomu" is NOT a Japanese word, it's a borrow word which comes from the word "gum", as in "rubbery". There's no reason whatsoever not to properly translate it, just as there's no reason for them to pronounce Sanji's Franch move names using Japanese pronounciation (like "esu-kaa-gou" instead of escargot). "Rei Gun", on the other hand, should be left untranslated, as it has a dual meaning, both the one based on the original JAPANESE word "rei", which means "spirit", and the English meaning "Ray gun", both of which are screwed up by the change to "spirit gun".

I also think that Gomu Gomu no Hanabi needs to be changed to Gum Gum Fireworks. Why? Luffy's not Japanese. He speaks Japanese because it's a Japanese show, but he's culturally European, so if you translate his dialog into English, then it only makes sense to translate his attack names as well. With characters like Naruto, Zoro, and Ichigo, on the other hand, they're Japanese, so the Japanese names of their Japanese attacks should be left intact, because they're meant to be Japanese.

If a word is of an English or culturally neutral root, such as Luffy's attacks, or the Going Merry-gou (btw, for those keeping track the proper Japanese pronounciation of Eureka 7's "Gekko" is "Gekko-gou" too), then they should be translated into English, but NOT reinterpreted (ie Going Merry-gou = Going Merry, but != Merry Go). These things are VERY easy to tell appart, since they use katakana rather than hirigana or kanji.

If a word has a definitely Japanese root, such as Onigiri or the various Rokushiki moves (like Soru or Rankyaku), then they should be left intact and unchanged.

If a word has a definitely non-Japanese AND non-English root, such as the French attacks "Diable Jambe", or "Sies Fleurs", then it should be properly converted into that language, as noted above, rather than being left in the raw Japanese "Diaburu Jyamube" and "Shiezu Hiroezu", or being translated into the English "Devil's Leg" and "Six Flowers".
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
So, SaveOnePiece is sick of any westernization, thinks Viz translations are worthless, thinks Gum Gum is a bad translation, hates dubs and only wants subs or raw.

You know, if he's so sick of all that.. Why doesn't he just do everyone a favor and move to Japan?

Really. I'm so damned sick of all these weeaboo Japanaholics that take things to these extremes. Hey, if you show so much hate for American culture and the English language so much and keep saying how great Japan is, please, just go over to Japan and leave us in peace.

Go buy the overly expensive Japanese region 2 One Piece DVDs with no English and let us enjoy our subtitled or dubbed uncut One Piece from Funimation. Quit trying to ruin everyone else's enjoyment of a decent production that you've already passed judgement on.

(And wow. Now I know how all the people felt when I was bitching about Michael Bay's Transformers. (Well, except for that I'm right that the movie is going to suck. Rolling Eyes ))

Ohoni wrote:
That said, "Gomu" is NOT a Japanese word, it's a borrow word which comes from the word "gum", as in "rubbery". There's no reason whatsoever not to properly translate it, just as there's no reason for them to pronounce Sanji's Franch move names using Japanese pronounciation (like "esu-kaa-gou" instead of escargot). "Rei Gun", on the other hand, should be left untranslated, as it has a dual meaning, both the one based on the original JAPANESE word "rei", which means "spirit", and the English meaning "Ray gun", both of which are screwed up by the change to "spirit gun".

See you're completely wrong. Clearly any word in a manga cannot be from an English word. Japanese is the superior language and all cartoons must be dubbed in it. Plus all anime fans need to speak at least some Japanese even if they have no idea what they're really saying. Rolling Eyes

I love it when a manga or anime takes an English word,misprounces it, and then die hard Japanophiles insisit on using the mispronunciation.

Alucard being mistranslated as 'Arucardo' or 'Arucard' and Guts as 'Gattsu' come to mind. I have to admit to insisting on 'Chrno Crusade' until I heard the author himself admited it was an English typo.

edit: Fixed Japanese region to Region 2 DVDs. Yup, we're region 1. Thanks.

Last edited by The Xenos on Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
Hey Xenos, not to sound like a dick, but Japan is region 2.

Just letting you know Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 18