• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If that's a reference to something that's going to happen at the end of the series, I ask that you keep your mouth completely shut about it. No even vague hints. I seriously doubt that I'm the only one who wouldn't appreciate it.

I think he's just speculating based on how many episodes are left and what still needs to be accomplished. Personally I think there's plenty of time.

dragoneyes001 wrote:
since i haven't read any novels or anything else its only speculation but with sales the way they are they need to keep people hooked for the inevitable next season don't they?

That's a completely American practise. Anime rarely does that.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes, please light novel and wikipedia readers, no "non-spoiling comments" which are actually pretty big spoilers, please. Honestly Usagi Drop was almost ruined for me because of all of the "non-spoiling" remarks which were in fact pretty obvious remarks about future content.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
since i haven't read any novels or anything else its only speculation but with sales the way they are they need to keep people hooked for the inevitable next season don't they?

That's not how it works. They planned to cover/adapt a certain amount of material. With sales good enough to warrant a second season, they begin making plans and exploring the possibility for a second season. They do not alter their plans for the first season, there's no guarantee that plans for a second season won't fall through, and unless their planned stopping point was already a cliff hanger, it would be a nightmare to make it one.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote
In my experience, series based on Light Novels don't end on huge cliffhangers very often, because the Light Novel format tends to result in fairly self contained story arcs. Some exceptions are out there of course, such as (vague ending spoiler for another series follows) spoiler[Legend of the Legendary Heroes], but I'm hoping we won't get something like that for Sword Art Online.

Well, even if we do, at least SAO is popular enough where we are pretty much guaranteed to have a second season anyways.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
I agree, Light Novels usually aren't written as ongoing series. Unlike manga or a TV series, they don't just keep putting out new episodes until they're canceled, or at least the stories aren't structured that way. Most of the time you get short arcs that end in such a way that it would be acceptable if the series ended right there. Which is of course also why SAO had an "ending" halfway through the series. They might leave a loose end or two to pick up later (what happened to Kayaba anyway?) but despite what some people in this thread seem to believe, leaving things temporarily unexplained is not a plothole. I think if the series had ended with Kirito waking up in the hospital people would have accepted that as an ending.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
Great episode! We finally spoiler[make it into the tower, and discover what it takes to get to the top]

Kirito and Yui, also, are presented with spoiler[even greater justification for believing that Asuna is in trouble, given the fact that she dropped the access key thingy.]

Asuna is given new hope and motivation.

And, the cat was, finally, let out of the bag, concerning spoiler[Suguha's secret intimate emotions for Kirito (who is not her brother. So, "incest" is completely used out of context). And, it isn't like BTOOM!, in which one character is made aware of the others identity. Nope, both parties were basically simultaneously brought in the knowing. Boy, dinner is gonna awkwaaaaard.]
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:27 am Reply with quote
Definitely one of the better action-packed episodes in this arc.

Sorry dragon695 but that was some mean shiz man. The girl didn't know Kirito was her nii-san. And why would she have asked anyways? She was only just starting to like him and get to know him. Eventually she would have asked, but right now you wouldn't have expected it.

She knew her feelings were wrong and were fighting them off. Kirito was her outlet for those feelings and she was channeling them into someone else other than an incestuous relationship she knew was wrong. Then it turns out that person was actually him? I'm surprised she didn't blow her gasket completely to be honest.
faawks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
God, there's not much that can bring me to tears (I use that word lightly) and I must say, and the end of this episode there were tears in my eyes!

spoiler[I'm so glad she made her feelings and situation clear to him, why can't girls do that in real life? :S]
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Nice episode (22).

Apparently the production committee of SAO do have some balls. I thought that spoiler[dense Suguha was never going to realize that the Kirito on the game was actually his brother]. Thank you.

Key wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:
as powerful an epi it was they really packed in a lot. this is the rush to the finish of this season. get ready for nasty cliffhanger.

If that's a reference to something that's going to happen at the end of the series, I ask that you keep your mouth completely shut about it. No even vague hints. I seriously doubt that I'm the only one who wouldn't appreciate it.

I am with Key on this one. I HATE IT every time someone who has read the SAO novels hints at or outright spoils something coming up.

Clarste wrote:
I agree, Light Novels usually aren't written as ongoing series. Unlike manga or a TV series, they don't just keep putting out new episodes until they're canceled, or at least the stories aren't structured that way. Most of the time you get short arcs that end in such a way that it would be acceptable if the series ended right there. Which is of course also why SAO had an "ending" halfway through the series. They might leave a loose end or two to pick up later (what happened to Kayaba anyway?) but despite what some people in this thread seem to believe, leaving things temporarily unexplained is not a plothole. I think if the series had ended with Kirito waking up in the hospital people would have accepted that as an ending.

I have actually been thinking something along these lines. I would have been less critical (and might have embraced) SAO if the first arc had been beefed up, and have the hospital scene as the ending at episode 25 (of the first season?).

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
With respect to a SAO anime sequel ... man, I dunno. Financially, it makes tons of sense, of course, but how the hell are they going to justify a THIRD wonky game experience? That's assuming the current arc actually does wind up at the end of eppie 25, that is.
drdr48

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
With respect to a SAO anime sequel ... man, I dunno. Financially, it makes tons of sense, of course, but how the hell are they going to justify a THIRD wonky game experience? That's assuming the current arc actually does wind up at the end of eppie 25, that is.

Well if the LN are still on-going then there is many more stories for them to tell I guess.

What I do like about this series is that it doesn't make me depressed.

It's such a fun, colorful show, unlike A1-Pictures other show... From the New World.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:
It's such a fun, colorful show, unlike A1-Pictures other show... From the New World.

Uuugh, that is a cheap shot. I prefer From the New World way, way more because it seems to have been created by people with brains. Sure, SAO is "colorful" (if you are referring to the good looking animation), but it has not much else going for it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Uuugh, that is a cheap shot. I prefer From the New World way, way more because it seems to have been created by people with brains. Sure, SAO is "colorful" (if you are referring to the good looking animation), but it has not much else going for it.
So we can descibe SAO as a pretty bimbo that has fantasies of a prince, and is incredibly popular (plus gaming) while New World is pretty boring with no personality and a message that feels disjointed at times (plus BL). We could describe these series as Kirino Kousaka and Sena Akagi, now we just need a Ruri Gokou. Perhaps the long running Fairy Tail could be the sexy milf Yoshino Kousaka.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was a great episode. I still don't understand how the idea of incest makes it into so many anime titles. It's a bit weird and really awkward when the subject comes up when watching with someone fairly new to anime. The question that usually arises is "Is that common or accepted in Japan?" I have no idea how to answer that. lol
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Some may note that three posts have been removed from this thread. They are gone because they were involved in personal attacks and likely to stir up trouble. The people involved know who they are and should take this as a warning that continued behavior of that nature will not be tolerated. Those involved have been warned before about this kind of behavior, so another offense of this nature - in any thread - will result in at least a temporary stay in Moderatorville, which is also where our spam filter dumps out into. Trust me, it's not a fun place to be; rotten spam really stinks up the place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 164 of 274