• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Give and take time:

The flashback was pretty interesting. I could imagine the fear thespoiler[Didn't really get how someone so close to death could kill three full health looking guys so easily and quickly though]

It's simple. spoiler[None of them wanted to deal the killing blow, and opponents who won't attack you are easy prey.]

I had no issues with any of this, although I do think it's a bit unecessesary spoiler[to establish Kirito killed more dudes. I think what happened with Kuradeel would be enough by itself without adding to it.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Death Gun will be the least of Kirito's problems if Asuna ever catches up to how touchy-feely Kirito has gotten with Sinon.

As for Kirito going off-balance: I think it is pretty clear the unexpected spoiler[encounter was Laughing Coffin] forced Kirito to deal with issues that he had buried. Remember also up to that point he didn't think Death Gun was a real-world fatal phenomena.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
So do these duels have audio as well as video feeds? Because that was quite a conversation to have on a public stage...
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Shikiari wrote:
Kirito spoiler[breaking down after the talk with Death Gun was out of character. How many times has he been in life threatening situations in the past and "held it together"... Unless, maybe the emotional impact of SAO has finally caught up with him.]

This was exactly what SAO1 was missing, and missing in a big way. It was one of my biggest criticisms of SAO1, and the primary reason I thought Accel World was a triumph over SAO1. Haruyuki was a human being, and one that you could feel something for. Kirito wasn't. (Except for one episode, which I discussed at length - the episode where Kirito and his sister have it out in the real world). This time around, Kawahara seems to have decided to make Kirito a person, and the story is 10 times better for it. The PTSD type nature of the flashbacks was pitch perfect. That was great storytelling.

I was rolling my eyes the entire time, it rang hollow for me. It's bad writing to just introduce WHOLE NEW REACTION from a character that he should have AT LEAST shown signs of ages ago.

I feel it's a little too late to bring weight to what happened but I suppose I will take solace in the fact that maybe this arc will make Kirito more interesting...
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So do these duels have audio as well as video feeds? Because that was quite a conversation to have on a public stage...

I'm thinking maybe it has video feed but no audio. I refuse to belief all that went down for everyone to hear.

I swear if they make him get with Sinon after alll he went through in the Fairy Dance arc, I will laugh but while shaking my head...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Ragga Ragga wrote:
I was rolling my eyes the entire time, it rang hollow for me. It's bad writing to just introduce WHOLE NEW REACTION from a character that he should have AT LEAST shown signs of ages ago.

His past actions were literally staring him in the face. His reaction is far more realistic than you're giving it credit for.

But yeah, real life is full of "bad writing."
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

It's simple. spoiler[None of them wanted to deal the killing blow, and opponents who won't attack you are easy prey.]

I get that they didn't want tospoiler[ kill him, that's obviously why they asked him to surrender], but for all of three of them to spoiler[simply stand there and watch as he killed each of them one by one??] No, no, no.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
They simply paid the price for their lack of resolve. Plus, spoiler[killing people is what Laughing Coffin was good at. If that dude couldn't handle that much I doubt he would have last long in that group.]
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
Ragga Ragga wrote:

I feel it's a little too late to bring weight to what happened but I suppose I will take solace in the fact that maybe this arc will make Kirito more interesting...

That's what bothered me, too. PTSD is a real thing, and I'm not questioning that Kirito has it. But for it to suddenly show up and affect him that badly, with that perfect of timing before his next match seemed too contrived for me.

Even further, how badly him doing that threw Sinon off seemed wildly out of character for her, too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:38 am Reply with quote
But it's not like it was only PTSD or that it just surfaced out of the blue. He was directly confronted with his past and threatened with death by someone (who had just watched him play, so not contrived) with a reason to want him dead and who might just be able to do it outside the game. That's a lot to come crashing down on you at once.

I thought his reaction was quite believable, and I thought Sinon's was almost as (until they faced off at least). She could see that he was genuinely shaken and that it wasn't just the game that was affecting him.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:56 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But it's not like it was only PTSD or that it just surfaced out of the blue. He was directly confronted with his past and threatened with death by someone (who had just watched him play, so not contrived) with a reason to want him dead and who might just be able to do it outside the game. That's a lot to come crashing down on you at once.

I thought his reaction was quite believable, and I thought Sinon's was almost as (until they faced off at least). She could see that he was genuinely shaken and that it wasn't just the game that was affecting him.

I don't doubt his reaction at all, I think it was believable but I still think it was bad writing to not ever show us the viewer this reaction before. That's why it rang hollow.
Perfect example would be when he was to log into ALO, why not show a chink in his armour then?
All we got was him logging in and giving a sigh of relief when he saw the log out button.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

I don't know what some of you are on about, Kirito has totally bugged out like this before. Kirito lost it in the incident where Sachi and her friends died, he suffered for a prolonged amount of time, and it seemed to resurface when Asuna and himself almost died. Later Kirito became a mess when he was facing the idea of Asuna being stuck asleep, passed off to some weird guy who smells her hair. Kirito is no spoiler[stranger to being turned into a mess when confronted with things he may consider his fault, and here he was directly reminded of when he killed 3 people he did not even know, for a total of killing 4 members of laughing coffin]. I have actually been watching Breaking Bad lately, so the trauma feels kind of familiar.

Not sure if everyone is getting it, but Kirito was spoiler[going to let Sinon kill him because Kirito already qualified to go on, he seemed to have run out of steam from chaneling his feelings into frustration]. Sinon could spoiler[not shoot him because he was acting like a reflection of the weakness she has been trying to get away from (making her heart race), and it felt like she was getting the fight she needed out of battles to become stronger]. And the point of the dual was not that spoiler[Kirito could cut it, it was that there should be no time for Kirito to react to the lines, he predicted through her eye instead].
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:07 am Reply with quote
Ragga Ragga wrote:
Perfect example would be when he was to log into ALO, why not show a chink in his armour then?
All we got was him logging in and giving a sigh of relief when he saw the log out button.

He was panicing quite a bit when he couldn't open his menu.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:30 am Reply with quote
So the complaint is that the writers fixed a flaw in Kirito's character, but they should have fixed it earlier so it's no good? That doesn't make sense. If you want to complain about bad writing in SAO that's fine, but you have to at least be able to acknowledge when they try to fix something that needed fixing. This was an instance of that.

And as far as the examples you gave DuskyPredator, I don't think those instances worked so well because there was no build-up for them. Like with Sacchi for example, the audience barely knew her at all and her friends were all just nameless faces for the most part. Them dying meant very little in a narrative sense, so we had no reason to feel strong empathy for Kirito. However, this time around, we all know the seriousness of the SAO experience that gave him the PTSD, so there's proper foundation for this type of emotional reaction. Sacchi could have been similarly effective if she was a more long term character who died more at the end of the first show, rather than dying as early on as she did.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
My problem isn't that the issue was fixed. My problem is that the timing was completely contrived, and how badly it threw Sinon off was completely OOC.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 115