• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised by who it is but I think the follow through was a bit lacking. Normally when the culprit is exposed we get more details into their motives and methods. We get some of that but not much before she escapes. And then everything resets back to square one by revealing there's another fake.

Well, a jealous Flamie is fine too~

It was a really good mystery series and coming here to discuss therories and deductions certainly enhanced the experience.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
My guess was wrong, but it was either one or the other and the final clue Chamot and Hans dug up last week proved to be the clincher. Since the novels are still ongoing and the party itself hasn't figured out part 2 of the new whodunnit viewers will have to wait before another adaptation is forthcoming.

One thing they failed to explain at the end was how to get the crest which reputedly only the goddess was qualified to bestow. Perhaps the author hasn't figured this out completely yet so everyone else needs to keep buying the franchise in order for a definitive answer to be given sometime.

Good fun, but unless the Japanese market really takes to this series in a big way there won't be a second adaptation unless the DVDs and Blu-Ray discs sell like hotcakes.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I felt like this episode was the weakest one of the series, unfortunately. The follow-up to the confession/discovery was pretty weak, though it hinted at pretty strongly that this time the Demons mean business. Goldov kept doing exactly bugger all, and I hope he does something in the following novels at least, because geez, dude.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I am calling BS if you watch episode 4 the barrier was activated even before she arrived and broke the tablet. I hate authors who pull this kind of crap just to have a surprise ending. It is BS pure and simple. I am glad I didn't waste my time watching the last 5 episodes I had a feeling he would pull something like this.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Goldov kept doing exactly bugger all, and I hope he does something in the following novels at least, because geez, dude.

My hope is that he is currently coming to the realization that maybe basing his entire personality around devotion to Nachetanya wasn't such a good idea, and that if he wants to live through the story he'll need to start thinking for himself.

That being said, he's my current top candidate for the new Seventh. I still haven't entirely forgiven him for the way he treated Flamie earlier in the series. (I know to him she was just the criminal Brave Killer, but was it really necessary to drag her face first across the floor just to step up to the podium and introduce himself? No, no it wasn't.) I can't see it being cow girl - the outsider would be too obvious of a villain.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
@ Cyberd1: If you'd watched the last 5 episodes you'd know that the barrier wasn't activated before she arrived. What do you think all that fog discussion was about? Very Happy

Well, I guess I laid my bet on the right horse, but I was really waffling between her and Goldie right up to the end. And I got more backup for my Nacho isn't the real princess idea too, so I'm satisfied. As satisfied as I can be with a reset like this and no continuation on the horizon anyway.

I thought it was pretty funny that Adlet hadn't even decided who the 7th was when he's all "The 7th is..."

So I take it the new girl is the Saint who didn't want to be a Saint that Adlet mentioned back in episode 2? I'd been wondering about her lately, so it was nice of her to make an appearance.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Cyberd1 wrote:
I am calling BS if you watch episode 4 the barrier was activated even before she arrived and broke the tablet. I hate authors who pull this kind of crap just to have a surprise ending. It is BS pure and simple. I am glad I didn't waste my time watching the last 5 episodes I had a feeling he would pull something like this.

Are you trolling?
You must be trolling.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I REALLY enjoyed Rokka. This was a pretty clever and unique way of doing a whodunit story, by framing it as an adventure/action story and then pitting the heroes against each other rather than the real enemy. It was very smartly written, and I had a blast seeing each of these characters developed.

True, I started zeroing in on the fake pretty early on but that wasn't due to lack of effort by the writers. It was really just due to audience expectations. They were working with some new stuff here but at the end of the day, they din't take us too far outside of the box, and based primarily on that we all kind of knew who it was. There were a decent number of clues along the way though, and most of those clues were brought up in the forums here, so like I said I think the writers did a good job of setting things up.

This show was at a minimum Very Good for me, perhaps Excellent. I am really hoping to see a second season - am very interested in how the fake was turned and also want to see what that weird bird/alligator fiend meant when he said "My turn."
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I thought it was pretty funny that Adlet hadn't even decided who the 7th was when he's all "The 7th is..."

I'm pretty sure he would've said Maura if he weren't too week to complete the sentence. Then he woke up from the arguing.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Adlet never passed out. He did accuse Maura but did so by looking at her rather than say her name.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Adlet was so shocked by the reveal it knocked the cut right off his face.

And as usual, that was a pretty flimsy excuse to administer the tonic that way. How did they manage to make it seem like a scene from a horror movie? Laughing
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And as usual, that was a pretty flimsy excuse to administer the tonic that way. How did they manage to make it seem like a scene from a horror movie? Laughing

Well, being eaten IS a fetish some people have, so I wouldn't doubt that'd be the reason the scene was framed like that.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Why is the new girl dressed like a cow?!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Laughing I am sorry but Laughing just a question like that after all the talk of events the subject zeroing in on why a character is dressed like a cow feels really humorous to me. It is like the elephant in the room that no one yet stated.

Episode 12 (finale)

So we find out that it is Nashetania who is the fake, and the soon afterwards we find out that there is at least one more fake. Most likely candidate would be the character that just showed up, but come on that is too easy. And it is stopping me to put to bed the theory of Goldov also being a fake, which seems likely since she was unlikely to kill him. Also princess was crazy, maybe she thinks she is doing something for peace, but she is so distant from the worth of human life that she saw 500,000 deaths as small.

Anyway, some good mystery from this show, more than that other detective show. And the setting being heroes going to save the world only for it to be largely mystery as part of world building, that is kind of cool. It was not perfect, I think it was animation wise there were a few trip ups, but generally style largely made up for it. Characters were interesting, I liked Adlet being a different type of hero, and I like Flamie. Caught on quick for her archetype as part fiend, and regardless of her outfit being a bit revealing, she had an interesting personality and went through some character growth.

As a rating I give Very good, it was a very good show with just a few thing putting it down. I would be interested if a sequel might come eventually. Also maybe see some cosplay of the characters, that would be pretty cool.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

I'm probably reaching in my ignorance, but could it be a pun on her being the Saint of Blood? Very Happy

Blood = 血 (chi - though I think she used a different word)
Milk = 乳 (chichi)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 21