• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Sword Art Online, Blast of Tempest, Magi Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takuku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
If your not willing to fork over the cash, then clearly, the series wasn't that much to your liking and made you think, "the series really isn't wroth it now that i see the price tag." While a die hard fan, will save up the little they might try to get and figure out how to get a hold of it, without making a huge ass scene about it.

Or you could think with your wallet and spend the amount of money you would do on the one show you like, on several shows you like.

Putting people down with the non-sense that spending more money on a show makes you more of a fan.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Takuku wrote:
Or you could think with your wallet and spend the amount of money you would do on the one show you like, on several shows you like. Putting people down with the non-sense that spending more money on a show makes you more of a fan.

And right there...would you rather spend money on 1 series you relaly love or spend that money on series that are "ok" in your own books? I would rather have my money go to that series I really love, instead of a series that's decent. Just because you can spend more towards Funimation or Sentai, doesn't mean you have to.

If you look at a price tab on show and gap at it (any show) like the company is insane, then you weren't all into the series, like you thought you were. Becuase honestly, a really big fan of the series would be more then willing to put up the money for it, but a more causal wouldn't. Clearly, the group that complains about the price are the causal fans.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Takuku wrote:
Or you could think with your wallet and spend the amount of money you would do on the one show you like, on several shows you like. Putting people down with the non-sense that spending more money on a show makes you more of a fan.

And right there...would you rather spend money on 1 series you relaly love or spend that money on series that are "ok" in your own books? I would rather have my money go to that series I really love, instead of a series that's decent. Just because you can spend more towards Funimation or Sentai, doesn't mean you have to.

If you look at a price tab on show and gap at it (any show) like the company is insane, then you weren't all into the series, like you thought you were. Becuase honestly, a really big fan of the series would be more then willing to put up the money for it, but a more causal wouldn't. Clearly, the group that complains about the price are the causal fans.
Pretty much this, if you truly, really, really loved the show, you'd save the money to buy it.

For example, I really love Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. As I've said multiple times on this forum already, I'm intending on sometime importing the series from Japan, and it's going to cost me around $300 a box set, there's 5 of them, and certain episodes never got into the box sets, so I have to get the singles for those, thus increasing the price for this 203 episode Shonen beyond $1500+.

There's a lot you could do with $1500+, and I'd choose to get one show I really, really love over a bunch of other shows, ones I would like to own (It would be nice if I could own everything I liked, but it's impossible), but I feel I don't have to own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
Putting aside the "I'm a better fan" bullcr@p. One set that I think has a good price for what you're getting is the new Serial Experiments Lain set. You get a blu-ray and dvd, the Lain Restoration booklet, a 320 page artbook, and all in a good packaging. You get all that for $90 retail or $67 reduced price.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/prDSvewzyYiwWaP2JP/browse/item/96150/4/0/0

And Funimation has the problem that this is a rerelease of a show thats been out for years and still easy to get ahold of. So I don't think they are going to take the time or money to have this restored then take a big hit to give this away to us "cheap" fans. Unlike aniplex, other companies can't skate by with gotcha by the danglers tactics. They have to put out a quality product at reasonable prices. I could bring up other sets to compare to aniplex but I think I made my point with a set I'm going to be buying.

@Vata Raven
Really? Can you get why "if you bitch about it and say "screw saving"..." is condescending as hell. I don't believe anyone on this thread said anything like that. I know thats your pet peeve but come on. I think most of us here are rational adults who can figure out how to get money to buy stuff we want.

Not wanting to save is not the problem here. What most people are complaing about is the high prices for what little we get. And saying a "real fan" would buy the sets isn't a good argument for why we should be okay with a company fleecing its customers. I would have no problem with paying $150 for the SAO set or any other aniplex US title from sentai or funi because I know thats how much I would be getting from them.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote
Didn't you guys know? You're not a "true fan" unless you're willing to be price gouged! Man, I love this thread Laughing
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:34 am Reply with quote
Good lord what happens if you love more than one series, is that not allowed for true fans?
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
I'm not a real fan of Fate/Zero because I don't want, and can't even afford to, to drop $700 on 2 blu-ray boxsets? Confused

So supporting the official streams, and paying a subscription fee for HD quality, instead of relying on fansubs means dick all. Silly me for pretending to love the show! Anime hyper

Rolling Eyes

Sarcasm aside, that is bullcrap to say you are not a real fan for not dropping close to a grand on a single Anime title. I buy what I can afford and I buy ALOT of Anime/Manga (roughly spend $250-$500 a month), yet I think it is ridiculous to drop so much money on one title when I can buy multiple titles for that price. $700 is how much my own rent costs for petes sake. I bit on the prices for Kara no Kyoukai's DVD set and Durarara!! BD box despite the sets being a little on the high side, but at least I can afford them (plus I get a bit of money from my parents during X-mas so I can consider it a present from them) and KnK is title I desperately want. I consider myself a real fan of certain shows for supporting the official streams and/or releases (if and when I can afford to).

Also gotta say, Vata Raven, how can you hate Madoka when you only watched one episode? Neutral And please stop saying "its crap" as that isn't much of an answer. Plus you need to stop wording it as if what you say about it being "crap" is a fact. It is but your opinion (yet I personally think it is not really much of one since you only gave it one episode....). Plus many many people here strongly disagree with you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
Well, this has gotten even more absurd than I thought possible, but ...

Two more reasons why the amount of money that you spend is not a reliable indication of how much of a fan you are:

There are people who buy expensive things just so they can brag about having them, and prove that they have more money than you do. Those people might not even like the show at all. Spending a lot of money does not make them fans.

There are people who really are big fans of a show but just cannot afford to spend the money for an expensive release. If you spend money that you cannot afford to spend, on any luxury item, that does not prove that you are a fan. It does prove that you are a fool.

And another thing. If you do save all of your money for six months to buy that one expensive release doesn't that prove that you are not a real anime fan? A real fan would have bought more than one thing in six months. (OK, there was a bit of sarcasm there.)

Last edited by Touma on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
manicli wrote:
Because in the real world you have to justify what you say.

If making an objective argument, sure. But not for tastes in commercial entertainment. "I like it" and "I don't like it" don't have to be justified, they are direct reports of person's reaction from the only available source (so long as we lack a mind reading machine).

As the saying goes, there's no accounting for tastes. Some people like their pop cutler fried. Others like it stir fried. Others like it in a casserole.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Seeing as Anipelx is doing mirror releases for most their stuff at half the price. Yeah, only the true fans in Japan buy the anime series they want.

Taking "fan" at its original meaning, short for "fanatic", perhaps.

The logical danger in this statement is the false opposite, that anyone who doesn't pay these prices "is not a true fan".

But obviously, while we could say that most people are unlikely to pay Japanese prices unless they are a serious fans, it is only some of the serious fans who can afford to pay those prices. Someone on a $80,000 a year salary could well be able to plop that down on several series a month as an impulse buy out of a hefty personal entertainment budget, while someone else on a much lower income might have to save up for half a year to pay Japanese prices, and so can only buy their two strongest favorites from that year.

But in the Japanese market the purchase of physical media is the upper end of a much broader commercial entertainment ecosystem, that also includes light novels and manga and pencil boards and a range of other ways to "be a fan" of something in a commercially lucrative way without necessarily buying the BD/DVD. The fact that Chihaya Furu got green-lit for a second series shows that BD/DVD sales are not everything there is to consider, even if it is important and, for some anime series in particular, by far the most important thing.

Quote:
That's what Aniplex is doing, mirroring and using the Japanese market for their releases. Hell, you're lucky the prices aren't even higher then what they could be.

If they are getting the prices at the level that maximizes their profits, then the reason the prices are not higher is the shape of the market.

Since they do sell the BD import releases, they surely have a better idea of the shape of the market at the top end than most (obviously, not all) commentators in an ANN discussion thread.

With the XBox Live movie/TV video content starting to come to a wider audience this Christmas under the Nook Video brand, there's increasing hopes of digital downloads filling part of the massive price point gap between free or dirt cheap subscription streaming anime and expansive to very expensive first release home video. Hopefully Aniplex will be part of that ~ and they have indeed shown a willingness to sell into that market with the Garden of Sinners download release on iTunes.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
manicli wrote:
Because in the real world you have to justify what you say.

If making an objective argument, sure. But not for tastes in commercial entertainment. "I like it" and "I don't like it" don't have to be justified, they are direct reports of person's reaction from the only available source (so long as we lack a mind reading machine).

As the saying goes, there's no accounting for tastes. Some people like their pop cutler fried. Others like it stir fried. Others like it in a casserole.

This is true. However, a lot of the time, people have reasons for their subjective viewpoints. They may be as simple as "I like spicy foods, and this is really spicy!" to "I find the rationale presented in this story to be shallow and trite. It doesn't appeal to my sense of gravitas or the way I think a plot should flow towards its conclusion." I'm just saying that simply because an opinion is subjective, it doesn't follow that there can't still be reasons for that subjective opinion. It's just that those reasons, insofar as they are subjective, cannot really be attacked (nor should they be).

I think what some people dislike is when someone declares something subjective, and doesn't say anything about why. The whole, "I don't like it because I don't like it." I mean, sure that's fine, but it doesn't really add anything for other people, and it gives the impression, rightly or wrongly, that you're not giving the anime a fair shake.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I think what some people dislike is when someone declares something subjective, and doesn't say anything about why. ...

Which is why we have meaningless "fill the reason space" reasons, like "I can't put my finger on it, but it rubs me the wrong way", or "it didn't really grab me".

Its like a study where researchers had someone ask to jump in line to use a photocopier. When they said, "Can I use the photocopier first, because I'm in a hurry?" they were allowed to cut into line more frequently than when they said "Can I use the photocopier first?" ... even though the "reason" is almost empty noise.

Of course, objectively, PMMM is more highly prized by more people than Drrr!, which accounts for why Aniplex could get away with such a premium price point for PMMM. Its a premium product in the minds of enough people, and whether or not somebody in particular likes it or not is entirely beside the point. So for a commercial entertainment medium, the whole question of arguing about different particular individual people's tastes was an entirely beside the point red herring.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Good lord what happens if you love more than one series, is that not allowed for true fans?
Pick and choose, it's something you're going to have to do, especially if you're someone like me who has seen a lot, and has loved a lot of shows.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I think what some people dislike is when someone declares something subjective, and doesn't say anything about why. ...

Which is why we have meaningless "fill the reason space" reasons, like "I can't put my finger on it, but it rubs me the wrong way", or "it didn't really grab me".

Its like a study where researchers had someone ask to jump in line to use a photocopier. When they said, "Can I use the photocopier first, because I'm in a hurry?" they were allowed to cut into line more frequently than when they said "Can I use the photocopier first?" ... even though the "reason" is almost empty noise.

Of course, objectively, PMMM is more highly prized by more people than Drrr!, which accounts for why Aniplex could get away with such a premium price point for PMMM. Its a premium product in the minds of enough people, and whether or not somebody in particular likes it or not is entirely beside the point. So for a commercial entertainment medium, the whole question of arguing about different particular individual people's tastes was an entirely beside the point red herring.

The thing is, even though those sorts of opinions are subjective, sometimes people have the same or similar tastes. And when you learn about a person's tastes and find they are similar to yours, you often become more willing to listen to their subjective opinions about things you haven't tried yet. This is exactly how the subective side of anime reviews works: I tend to put more weight on Key's reviews because a lot of his tastes are similar to mine.

I'm not talking about *arguing* about whether some particular subjective opinion is right or wrong, because of course that would be stupid and pointless. But in giving your reasons (if you have any) as to why you hold some particular opinion, you can show other people what your tastes are like, which is not a pointless thing to do, IMO.

BTW: the reason why giving the "I'm in a hurry" excuse resulted in a worse result than giving no reason at all is because "I'm in a hurry" is a pretty crappy excuse in and of itself. So of course you're better off not using it at all.

I guess we just have different ways of looking at this sort of thing.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Pick and choose, it's something you're going to have to do, especially if you're someone like me who has seen a lot, and has loved a lot of shows.

Yeah no! That's your choice to spend a fortune on one series. It's my choice to support more than one series I love.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 21