• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part 3: Rebellion

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

But that's all that happened. You haven't explained WHY you and so many other fans go from "She regretted not being with Kyouko more" to the utter non-sequitur "she wants to bang Kyouko".

It would be nice if you would argue in good faith, for once.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

But that's all that happened. You haven't explained WHY you and so many other fans go from "She regretted not being with Kyouko more" to the utter non-sequitur "she wants to bang Kyouko".

It would be nice if you would argue in good faith, for once.

I used a slightly hyperbolic phrase for humor, sue me.

But honestly why ship characters if you don't want to see them consumate the relationship? /y/ and /u/ are NSFW-boards for a reason.

And my point still stands. "I regret not being with you more" != "I love you".

God that scene was pointless.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

But honestly why ship characters if you don't want to see them consumate the relationship? /y/ and /u/ are NSFW-boards for a reason.

And my point still stands. "I regret not being with you more" != "I love you".

God that scene was pointless.

I like how you are rallying to the defense of Sayaka's straightness, for no other reason than that you are trying to troll yuri fans. Because...I don't know.

Yes, I want Sayaka and Kyouko to be a couple. That desire does not mean I think that they suddenly became lovers in this movie. Because that would be stupid. What the movie did do (as I have stated, to you, several times) is establish a way for a relationship of some sort to begin between them.

Now, I know the mere idea of two girls being together is utterly repulsive to you, so perhaps you should stop caring.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Interesting, that makes a ton of sense but it's a shame it's wasn't more clear in the movie (or maybe it was, and I was simply too confused to make any sense of what I was seeing).

To be perfectly honest, it wasn't actually that clear in the final version of the original show, and I even mis-translated another interview, leading me and others to believe she always had her bow powers and just never used them, but evidence in the show suggested otherwise (they were talking about how her original character design had her bow from the beginning) and, once I got "The Beginning Story" (the full manuscript for the series, released to the public), I read at the end that Urobuchi put in a note that Homura "gained a bow and arrow" and in parenthesis, "(she loses her time manipulation powers)." So while the show gave us some strong evidence, only the manuscript said it explicitly.
Thus, if you don't know about the side material, I suppose it's not surprising you could misinterpret Homura's ability to use time or not. It's not like the new movie made that necessarily clear, either, considering the thing they did allowed her to use her old powers again, albeit in a fantasy-based world she created herself.

And speaking of outside material clarifying events in the show, can anyone find a link to something that proved Madoka had a "paradise" she brought Magical Girls to? I can't, for the life of me, find it again, but I know it exists somewhere...
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I like how you are rallying to the defense of Sayaka's straightness, for no other reason than that you are trying to troll yuri fans. Because...I don't know.

Oooooooorrrrr maybe it's because I think Sayaka isn't in love with Kyouko. But of course, it HAS to be trolling yurifans. It's UTTERLY IMPOSSIBLE to believe that Sayaka is not in love with Kyouko sincerely.

This is why I hated that scene. It was so short yet here we are arguing about it.

Quote:
Now, I know the mere idea of two girls being together is utterly repulsive to you, so perhaps you should stop caring.

You keep saying this but you never give proof.

And do you have to add an insult to the end of EVERY SINGLE post you make?

Quote:

And speaking of outside material clarifying events in the show, can anyone find a link to something that proved Madoka had a "paradise" she brought Magical Girls to? I can't, for the life of me, find it again, but I know it exists somewhere...

Didn't the end of the movie show her in this paradise as she was about to take Homura (right before THAT scene)
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Oooooooorrrrr maybe it's because I think Sayaka isn't in love with Kyouko. But of course, it HAS to be trolling yurifans. It's UTTERLY IMPOSSIBLE to believe that Sayaka is not in love with Kyouko sincerely.

Ok? I don't care? You can believe whatever you want about the characters?

You're the one mad about other people's interpretation of them. I don't care if you ship them or not. Why should?

Quote:
This is why I hated that scene. It was so short yet here we are arguing about it.

Yes, how dare they include a scene that people interpret differently from you, which means you need to spend multiple posts whining about that fact.

Quote:
And do you have to add an insult to the end of EVERY SINGLE post you make?

You're the one with the massive case of kettle-itis, not me.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
fireaxe wrote:
Interesting, that makes a ton of sense but it's a shame it's wasn't more clear in the movie (or maybe it was, and I was simply too confused to make any sense of what I was seeing).

To be perfectly honest, it wasn't actually that clear in the final version of the original show, and I even mis-translated another interview, leading me and others to believe she always had her bow powers and just never used them, but evidence in the show suggested otherwise (they were talking about how her original character design had her bow from the beginning) and, once I got "The Beginning Story" (the full manuscript for the series, released to the public), I read at the end that Urobuchi put in a note that Homura "gained a bow and arrow" and in parenthesis, "(she loses her time manipulation powers)." So while the show gave us some strong evidence, only the manuscript said it explicitly.
Thus, if you don't know about the side material, I suppose it's not surprising you could misinterpret Homura's ability to use time or not. It's not like the new movie made that necessarily clear, either, considering the thing they did allowed her to use her old powers again, albeit in a fantasy-based world she created herself.

Everything I know on the Madoka lore I got it from the Tv series, I never really got into all the side stuff. So yeah it seemed to me like they didn't do a particularly great job to shape that new universe (the real world) in the movie, and that's probably where most of my frustration stemmed from in the end. But now I really want to watch that movie again, to see if I'll appreciate more now that I have a better understanding of what's actually going on.

Last edited by fireaxe on Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FierceAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Tachikoma1701 wrote:

Firstly: when she talked to Homura, she didn't remembered what happened to her in TV series. It can be argued that a human is ultimately the sum of his/her experiences, if you delete some important information from my memory, I won't be this same person and I won't make this same decisions. Theme often times brought up in "Ghost in the shell" - people implanted with false memories were doing things that they wouldn't normally do, they even committed crimes. Same with Madoka - she didn't even remembered her previous life and why she did what she did, ergo she is not Madoka from the end of TV series, she is not this same person! Secondly: if Madoka would really thought that way, then it is yet another betrayal of Original series - from episode three onwards she always talked about how she wants to be useful for others, how it will make her happy etc. This was her purpose in life. Now undoing this seems like a big cop-out and - as I said - it make her character arc in TV series completely mingless. And no, Homura is not right - needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... this is the only thing on which Madoka and Kyubey would agree. They had different methods but they were both utilitarians - right now Akemi is just selfish and short sighted.

It's true that the Madoka Homura talks to in the flower scene isn't the one who suffered through everything in the TV show. She's more like Madoka in episode 10, when Homura first met her. The point of that scene is that Madoka only made her decision to become the Law of Cycles because of the situation, because she was the only one who had the power to do it and because Walpugisnacht was going to destroy the city. She made the decision because it was the right thing to do, because she saw it as her duty, not necessarily because it made her happy. It was a sacrifice for Madoka. Remember what Homura says:

"I know.. that you are kind to everyone and not afraid of making choices. When you feel that there is something that only you can do, you would not hesitate even if it means hurting yourself."

She knows that this is not the same Madoka, but she knows that if Madoka were put through the same circumstances of the TV show, she would always make the same choices. Homura knows how selfless and caring Madoka is; she'll always sacrifice her own happiness for the sake of the universe. So Homura creates a situation where Madoka doesn't have to make that sacrifice, where Madoka can be happy and magical girls can be saved. It's not a betrayl of Madoka from the TV show, it's delving into the idea that Madoka might not be totally happy as the Law of Cycles or at least not in a way mortal humans can comprehend.

Tachikoma1701 wrote:

But again, that make her character growth in TV series meaningless: she never learned how to live withouth Madoka, she didn't found her inner strength, she never found her purpose in life - even though she had one in the end of TV series. How about her taking care of Kaname family? Her fight to commemorate memory Madoka's memory ended in tragedy, so it was completely meaningless. This: "don't forget someone is fighting for you"... is now completely irrelevant. Does she looks like unhappy person?:
http://avvesione.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/puella_magi_madoka_magica-12-homura-ribbons.jpg

And that mean that her whole character growth happened off screen, and we really don't know why happy Homura from the end of TV series, fall into despair.

I will agree that I wish they had shown us a little flashback of Homura between episode 12 and getting trapped by Kyubey, but she still explains what happens pretty directly in the flower scene. Also, at no point in episode 12 did Homura say she was happy with the way things turned out. Madoka's wish is great for everyone except Kyubey (for obvious reasons) and Homura. Madoka's wish and Homura's wish are fundamentally incompatible. They can't both be granted in the same universe. Homura is unhappy in the new world, thinking it's a cruel irredeemable place. She only fights because Madoka protected this world.
http://i.imgur.com/FVC2iGK.png
http://i.imgur.com/Ccm6cIU.png
http://i.imgur.com/RwTHPz3.png

The point is that Homura failed in her wish. Even though Madoka accepted her own fate, Homura wasn't able to protect Madoka from fate. There wasn't anything she could do about it, so she accepted it for a long time. But the despair of being the only one who knew Madoka and not being able to be with her got to Homura over time till she doubted if Madoka ever even existed. But she accepted it until she learned that Madoka might not be happy as the Law of Cycles. Then when she gets her opportunity, she gives Madoka her happy life with her family. Remember that Homura also gave Sayaka, Kyoko, Mami, and Nagisa happy lives. She's not a monster, she still cares about them.

Tachikoma1701 wrote:
And BTW Incubators experimenting on Homura and wanting to control Madokami is a big plot hole, and I don't know why anyone didn't brought it up? Firstly: if they are willing and able to control people, then why even bother to make contracts Question It's stupid waste of time and effort. I thought that Incubators were logical and practical. Apparently not. Laughing Secondly: Kyubey granted Madoka's wish and then he wanted to undo it? Again, what's the point of making a contract if you are not going to respect it? There is no point in granting a wish, when you are just going to undo it. It's highly illogical. Also undoing a wish is a big waste of time and resources, you can as well, don't grant a wish in the first place!

The Incubators don't actually grant wishes, they are merely the catalyst for it. It's the emotional power of the girls that grants the wish. If Kyubey had control over the wishing power, he would have stopped Madoka's wish. Madoka's universe is worse off for the Incubators because they can't gather energy to fight entropy as efficiently. And they can't control people. Kyubey said that they wanted to understand the Law of Cycles and that long term they wanted to control it. Madokami is a power/force/concept, not a person. Thus Kyubey's actions make sense from his ultruistic perspective.

Tachikoma1701 wrote:
That dosen't change the fact that ideas and messages from The Original show are now thrown into the garbage can. So what was the point of stating them in the first place? And don't worry, those new ideas that you are so excited about, will be also drowned in the toilet in next movie or next season of TV show. So again, what's the point?

You brought up the theme, "You have to focus on the one thing that means to you the most and protect it until the very end." The movie continues that theme, it just takes it to the extreme. How much would you be willing to sacrifice for a person? How far would you be willing to go? In Homura's case, she was willing to rewrite the universe and oppose Madoka's wish in order to give her happiness. I think she's playing the part of the villain because that's her new role. It's like the beginning of the TV show; we thought Homura was cold and heartless but in reality that was a mask to disguise her suffering and love of Madoka. I think we're gonna see that same idea play out here. The question is, how far will Homura go to protect Madoka? Would she fight Madoka for her own good? It's uncertain right now, but my gut tells me it would take a lot for the two of them to come to blows.

Last edited by FierceAlchemist on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:09 am; edited 3 times in total
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Everything I know on the Madoka lore I got it from the Tv series, I never really got into all the side stuff. So yeah it seemed to me like they didn't do a particularly great job to shape that new universe (the real world) in the movie, and that's probably where most of my frustration came stemmed from in the end. But now I really want to watch that movie again, to see if I'll appreciate more now that I have a better understanding of what's actually going on.

Haha. Usually, a lot of people don't care about the side material, but with Madoka, they've been very, very open about releasing nearly everything about what went into the original series and even what the creators interpreted differently about the scenes in the show. That has helped clarify a LOT, considering the show itself was very visual-based and focused on giving the main core, rather than exploring the side elements. So the side material is very worth looking into. Puella Magi Wikia is great for that, as they have a LOT of translated stuff, but most of it was not translated by me, and I have noticed a few mistranslations as well. Nothing huge, though. It's still worth checking out, since some translations go above and beyond giving you a translation, and they provide some very accurate context to help you understand the meaning of things that were said. Once you read a ton about the series, going back and watching the series again is a totally new experience. And you get to appreciate all the attention to detail and respect that went into it.

I think that, once stuff like that appears more widespread for the movie, people will be more appreciative of that, too.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
New to the party here. After avoiding the series like the plague for the past couple of years, I finally saw it and had the good fortune to see the movie as well. I think the ending is bleak, but not beyond redemption. In fact, I think there is still some hope that Homura and Madoka can save their bond. Could go to a very dark place, too, though.

I actually think that Homura's progression is pretty logical, if she was always intended to be a fallen hero. But, I don't think that she's beyond saving and I believe the bumper after the credits illustrates the conflict that lies within. I think what makes the story poignant to me is that neither girl necessarily made the wrong decision with their actions (as far as the motivation behind those actions), but their views on how love works puts them at opposite ends of the spectrum and into conflict.

It's also been a while since I've been so endeared to a cast, even though I was sure I would not like them when I first read about the show. They're all interesting characters.

Last edited by gpanthony on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
FierceAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
gpanthony wrote:
I actually think that spoiler[Homura's progression is pretty logical, if she was always intended to be a fallen hero.] But, I don't think that she's beyond saving and I believe the bumper after the credits illustrates the conflict that lies within. I think what makes the story poignant to me is that neither girl necessarily made the wrong decision with their actions (as far as the motivation behind those actions), but their views on how love works puts them at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Well said. This is pretty much how I feel about the movie too; neither of them are pure right or wrong. Homura feels guilty about betraying Madoka and is suffering pretty badly in this new wold. I definitely think she's redeemable.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:04 am Reply with quote
By the way, when people say stuff like, "But it resets the characters to zero!" in reference to all the universal "resets," I have to disagree. It sets their experiences and background to zero for the audience because we can't gauge everything they've gone through. However, we have a good idea. And by seeing a ton of different contexts for one character, we can see how they grow in different ways as a result of different settings and circumstances, helping us understand them a lot more. I, for one, think the characters of Madoka are a lot more realistic than a lot of characters for other shows because of this.
Like, I get that people question why Mami was the way she was in episodes 1-3, and how different she was in episode 10 after finding out about witches, and the usual reply to that (or assumption), as I've seen it, is "Oh, that's a different Mami." But it's not. Urobuchi mentioned that scene and said that Mami would've reacted much in the same way, no matter the timeline. Her character might have different experiences with different people, leading her to choose different paths, but she is still the same person. Likewise, this is something we can understand a bit better in Rebellion regarding Madoka's character. It's not that there are two different version of Madoka. It's just that she acts different in both situations. In fact, throughout the series as a whole, she has three different versions of herself that they show us: Her less-confident self from the beginning of the series, who says she thinks being a Magical Girl is all she wants out of the wish. Her much more confident self AFTER she became a normal Magical Girl, who wouldn't leave others (episode 10; inside Homura's Soul Gem in Rebellion). And her more open-minded self who gathered a lot of different experiences and willingly sacrificed her own existence for the sake of saving others, even if it meant leaving others behind (episode 12; Rebellion). Her choices differed in each iteration, but they were consistent with her character, and they make that more apparent in this movie when Homura suggests that Madoka doesn't know that she can and would leave her if she knew about the struggles of other Magical Girls and if she knew she had the power to do so. And the same goes for everyone else.

Of course, this is "characterization" rather than "character development." But in a story like Madoka, "characterization" is HUGE in understanding the message and the series' impact on the genre as a whole. Development is important to some people, but it was obviously not the point of the series, and I find nothing wrong with that, considering the characterization itself benefited from these hypothetical other alternate possibilities of these characters. We get to see them develop in such different ways that we learn more about who they are as a person than we would if the story only gave us the one linear possibility.

I mean, Homura's the only exception to this. And imagine if we got to see a different version of her, affected by completely different events... That would be kinda cool.

Aside from that, though, I also see some progression with the characters. Like, characters are given conflicts at the beginning of the series, but by the end, even in their alternate forms, the series seems to want to give the idea that they've still progressed in a way that isn't completely foreign to the events the audience has seen. I wouldn't exactly call this "development," but it's still nice to see that the characters aren't actually back to being their old, flawed selves. Well, except Madoka, whose outward confidence truly depended on her powers, which Homura took. Still, I don't see the future series re-developing Madoka to where her old development is over-written and pointless so much as simply giving her her old self back at some point. At least, if we are to believe the end of the movie and believe in the future writer(s) for the series...
gpanthony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
FierceAlchemist wrote:
Well said. This is pretty much how I feel about the movie too; neither of them are pure right or wrong. Homura feels guilty about betraying Madoka and is suffering pretty badly in this new wold. I definitely think she's redeemable.

Thanks! I think Homura's guilt is apparent in the end- she looks pretty haggard during her final scene with Madoka, and she knows that her plan is destined to fail. At this point, she's her own worst enemy since I don't think Madoka would ever hate her and her own guilt would be what elongates their conflict.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
By the way, when people say stuff like, "But it resets the characters to zero!" in reference to all the universal "resets," I have to disagree. It sets their experiences and background to zero for the audience because we can't gauge everything they've gone through. However, we have a good idea. And by seeing a ton of different contexts for one character, we can see how they grow in different ways as a result of different settings and circumstances, helping us understand them a lot more. I, for one, think the characters of Madoka are a lot more realistic than a lot of characters for other shows because of this.

Indeed. The core of each character's personality doesn't seem to vary much despite the change in timelines, and most likely their personal histories were more or less unchanged up until the events of the story began (i.e. Sayaka's relationship with ... that guy, Kyoko and Mami's losing their families). It would've been nice to see a well adjusted Homura (who had re-entered society normally).
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:29 am Reply with quote
Whoo boy, didn't expect there to be nearly thirty new comments on the review since the last time I checked.

gpanthony wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Indeed. The core of each character's personality doesn't seem to vary much despite the change in timelines, and most likely their personal histories were more or less unchanged up until the events of the story began (i.e. Sayaka's relationship with ... that guy, Kyoko and Mami's losing their families). It would've been nice to see a well adjusted Homura (who had re-entered society normally).

Agreed on the strength of characterization and how the characters largely retain their personalities throughout. But, to answer gpanthony's hope... I don't think it's really possible to "re-enter society" for Homura because, you know, magical girls are outside of society to begin with. Razz I think I know what you mean, though-- to move away from her currently yandere-esque demeanor into something better... emotionally/socially adjusted. Maybe there's room in the inevitable sequel though, something like spoiler[Madoka Magica: Redemption] but perhaps less obvious (man, if the theoretical movie in question trolls us with such a hopeful-sounding title...). And speaking of the future direction the story will take...

Juno016 wrote:
Still, I don't see the future series re-developing Madoka to where her old development is over-written and pointless so much as simply giving her her old self back at some point. At least, if we are to believe the end of the movie and believe in the future writer(s) for the series...

Has there been anything more from Urobuchi on the future of Madoka Magica's story beyond what what feral-phoenix translated from the theatre pamphlet for Rebellion? Specifically:
Quote:
Personally, I feel like I wrote all there is to Madoka in the TV series, and now I’ve written all there is to Homura in this movie. I feel like I’ve had both of them graduate. Anyway, I think that a school where a god and a devil are in the same class is pretty funny. If people use that to make new stories, I’ll be happy. I want this to be the kind of story where everyone will want to imagine their own sequel.

Again, there's been no further news of him saying anything more than what's above, right? Now undoubtedly, Urobuchi has earned himself a break, if not a total departure from main writing duties for any more of Madoka Magica. (And if he isn't going to be taking the lead, who, then, could fill up those shoes in Magica Quartet? That's almost another subtopic entirely...) At the least, though, I think it'd be the ideal minimum if he held a respectable supervisory role for any serious future installments of the mainline series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 33