• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Phony Baloney

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
In a honesty, Rei and Asuka aren't really moe. Well, maybe Rei.

Asuka is merely a sympathetic character. That's not really moe. That's just good writing making a character sympathetic.

They aren't moe to you, they may be to someone else.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, they are somewhat moe to me.

But I've watched shows where characters are quite moe to me. Like Madoka. In fact, Madoka was basically the first time I ever actually felt true moe fir the characters in it.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Timeenforceranubis wrote:
As for the common element, I recommend the article I linked a few posts ago (This one). It does a better job of connecting together all these points for you than I feel I could do justice to here.

I read it, but I'd much rather debate with you than that person. His explanation(s) of moe are different from the one you gave me and you'd need to clarify the matter. I assume this article is where your five types of feelings and emotions come from, but for him those are simply the responses related to "moe" that otaku exhibit. The term itself is something different. It's "a subset of taste" which makes it an aesthetic term instead of a psychological one. But if it is an aesthetic term, wouldn't we need to understand the semiotic code that is at the core of that "subset of taste"? Which would again make this a very subculture word without much use in a casual conversation. Besides the fact remains that there are different meanings of "moe" floating around even if you stand by this as the "correct" one.

P.S. If I sound nonsensical, sorry. It's late here and it's been years since my semiotics classes.

Last edited by jl07045 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
notazaku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I've never had much use for the term "moe" but if I had to define it, it would be a very strong attachment to a character I'm fond of. The character his/herself isn't moe. Instead it is a reaction to said character. That's my take on it anyway.
krystallinity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:
I've never had much use for the term "moe" but if I had to define it, it would be a very strong attachment to a character I'm fond of. The character his/herself isn't moe. Instead it is a reaction to said character. That's my take on it anyway.

So can moe be applied to a concept outside of Anime? If I watch a mainstream American sitcom, and I develop a strong attachment to one of the adults, does that mean that my relationship with an adult is moe?

It doesn't seem to work that way.

Some Western Anime fans tend to associate moe with "an unhealthy attraction to young, pre-pubescent looking girls in Anime," and associate that devotion with modern Western taboos.

As a result, they slander moe-oriented Anime because they're afraid of associating themselves with the underlying taboos that they misguidedly think moe is attached with.

Personally, I could care less. As an adult from a Western country, I find the presence of moe within Anime incredibly refreshing when compared to the "adult cartoon" nonsense my country spews out.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
krystallinity wrote:

So can moe be applied to a concept outside of Anime? If I watch a mainstream American sitcom, and I develop a strong attachment to one of the adults, does that mean that my relationship with an adult is moe?

Of course you can.

"moe" is something that always existed, it just never really had a name.

Its sorta like Tsundere, the character type has existed for untold centuries, but no one actually bothered to name it until sometime in the early 2000s.

Or for a more physical example, Zettai Ryouiki. Its a well established fact that the combination of tall socks/stockings/boots and a short skirt has been considered "sexy" for quite some time, but no one ever bothered to actually give a name to the phenomenon, until anime fans on the internet.
krystallinity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
krystallinity wrote:

Of course you can.

"moe" is something that always existed, it just never really had a name.

Its sorta like Tsundere, the character type has existed for untold centuries, but no one actually bothered to name it until sometime in the early 2000s.

Or for a more physical example, Zettai Ryouiki. Its a well established fact that the combination of tall socks/stockings/boots and a short skirt has been considered "sexy" for quite some time, but no one ever bothered to actually give a name to the phenomenon, until anime fans on the internet.

Ultimately I agree with you on the definition of moe, but you can't deny that the word "moe" is almost always used today as reference to young girls in Anime.

We associate "moe-oriented" shows with Anime that feature cute girls, like Madoka or K-ON.

I have never, ever seen moe used as a reference to character devotion in mature video games like Mass Effect, or mature television shows like Star Trek.

Maybe "moe" will evolve into a term used for all devotional relationships to characters, but for now it seems limited, and my point was that some Western fans exploit this limited definition to associate the concept of moe with Western taboos, perpetuating their dislike for it.

Last edited by krystallinity on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Timeenforceranubis wrote:
As for the common element, I recommend the article I linked a few posts ago (This one). It does a better job of connecting together all these points for you than I feel I could do justice to here.

I read it, but I'd much rather debate with you than that person. His explanation(s) of moe are different from the one you gave me and you'd need to clarify the matter. I assume this article is where your five types of feelings and emotions come from, but for him those are simply the responses related to "moe" that otaku exhibit. The term itself is something different. It's "a subset of taste" which makes it an aesthetic term instead of a psychological one. But if it is an aesthetic term, wouldn't we need to understand the semiotic code that is at the core of that "subset of taste"? Which would again make this a very subculture word without much use in a casual conversation. Besides the fact remains that there are different meanings of "moe" floating around even if you stand by this as the "correct" one.

P.S. If I sound nonsensical, sorry. It's late here and it's been years since my semiotics classes.

Question: If moé is a subculture word, and the subculture is what we're discussing, why does that matter at all?

Even past that, what about being a subculture word means it no longer has the right to exist?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
krystallinity wrote:

I have never, ever seen moe used as a reference to character devotion in mature video games like Mass Effect, or mature television shows like Star Trek.

Probably because you don't discuss those things with people who have the otaku vocabulary.

To use Mass Effect for an example, Tali is an absolute moe icon, in fact, she's one of the more gratuitously moe characters in quite some time.

On the opposite end, Thane was clearly designed, with malice aforethought, to evoke a moe reaction from the female side of the audience.

Quote:
Maybe "moe" will evolve into a term used for all devotional relationships to characters, but for now it seems limited, and my point was that some Western fans exploit this limited definition to associate the concept of moe with Western taboos, perpetuating their dislike for it.

Well, fudge them. Why should I care what they think?
krystallinity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
krystallinity wrote:

Probably because you don't discuss those things with people who have the otaku vocabulary.

To use Mass Effect for an example, Tali is an absolute moe icon, in fact, she's one of the more gratuitously moe characters in quite some time.

On the opposite end, Thane was clearly designed, with malice aforethought, to evoke a moe reaction from the female side of the audience.

I'm certain there are Mass Effect fans out there who are cognizant of the otaku vocabulary, yet I still haven't seen that definition come into play.

It's funny because I really, really do agree with you in terms of the definition...other people just aren't up to speed with the full scope of it yet and cling to the stubborn "little girls" definition.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
krystallinity wrote:

They're the whole reason why we're having this discussion on the merits of moe. If taboos weren't ultimately responsible for the hatred of moe (the limited definition, not the full definition), we wouldn't even perceive a distinction between moe-centric Anime and "non-moe" Anime.

Nobody hates BioWare because their games are deliberately moe-centric, yet many people hate Anime that is moe-centric.

Do you see the discrepancy here?

Last edited by krystallinity on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
krystallinity wrote:

Exactly. The term is still evolving, but the people who are out to get moé take that as "it's never going to evolve." It's an inconvenient situation that the Anti-Moé Brigade takes advantage of.

Also, I too found Tali to be extremely moé.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I've seen /v/ call Tali moe, but they're a more Japanese centric type of game board than most.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
krystallinity wrote:

Nobody hates BioWare because their games are deliberately moe-centric, yet many people hate Anime that is moe-centric.

Why am I supposed to care?

Also, I'm guessing that a large part of that is because there are so many OTHER reasons to hate Bioware.
krystallinity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
krystallinity wrote:

Why am I supposed to care?

Also, I'm guessing that a large part of that is because there are so many OTHER reasons to hate Bioware.

You're supposed to care because we're having this discussion in the first place.

Let me create a topic on the BSN that says "I hate Mass Effect because their characters are too moe-oriented," and let's see how many hundreds of people tell me that I made a stupid topic.

But if I created a topic here that says "I hate K-ON because their characters are too moe-oriented," I'd get people who agree with me, because apparently having devotion to a character who isn't of age yet "is a horrible thing."

As I just said, if taboos weren't involved here, no-one would care that people have moe feelings towards characters like Yui, just like no-one cares that people have moe feelings towards characters like Tali.

Last edited by krystallinity on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
notazaku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
krystallinity wrote:

The term "moe" is not typically used outside of the "anime subculture" but the emotion is the same. I grew very attached to Jack Bauer while watching 24, and the constant fear they would kill him off didn't help. Now it would seem odd to call that moe but it is the same feeling I have for say Saber from the Fate/ franchise.

Now there is also sexual attraction which is different from emotional attachment. As a guy I find Saber attractive in ways Jack is obiviously not for me but I'm still emotional attached to both. Sex and moe can coexist but they are not synonymous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 25