• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? (SukaSuka)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I do wonder now who would win in a fight Wilhelm or Kirito. Maybe someone will do one of those death battle videos some day Smile

Also, Nordhmmer, that does intrigue me a bit. I could probably get into a Wilhelm back story. I mean, so far he's the main character I've been able to see as an individual. There's a reason I've been calling most of the characters by their hair color until now, though I think Ctholly has perhaps earned the right of being called by her name now instead of blue hair girl.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Wilhelm isn't kirito so much as he's more like Kiritsugu Emiya.

and yes, he does have strength, but he simply knows how to use a dug weapon better. in terms of Raw power, just about everyone else in the setting outclasses him, even Naigrat. He got as far as he did in the past because he learned so many forbidden techniques and spells that no Quasi-Brave should ever be able to use (Instead of getting to Elq's chamber like Lilla did, he would have been oneshot by Elq for this reason before he could even get to her) that he ended up turning to stone in the past.

He can fight, but never at the level he used to in the past. If he were to go all out for even 10 seconds, his body would literally collapse in on itself.

Flicking coins like bullets is merely the standard strength for a Quasi Brave and is a miniscule feat for a Regal Brave (Like Lilla) to do.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I see some similarities to Kirito but I think Willem is actually more cool and badass than Kirito. Kirito in my opinion was a bit of a gloomy, depressed loner during the 1st season. Willem has a more tough, cool and charming exterior. Kirito seems very slightly unsocial while Willem is like witty and charming in a cool way. Willem just seems a lot more mature in general to me.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Willem just seems a lot more mature in general to me.
Definitely agree with that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, Wilhelm is a 500+ year old adult whereas Kirito is a teenager. I would HOPE Wilhelm is more mature. Wink
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
@AsuraTheDestructor you are overlooking something,you could pick a 16yr old Willem,the "Black Agate Swordsman".

@Blood-
Well let's see 16 when he first got "stoned",stayed like that for 527 years,add in the two years since his awakening and you get a now 18 year old from 529 years ago.

Back to the topic at hand,throwing my hat into the ring.
Willem's desire to learn all the skills and techniques stems from his need to protect Lilya,would say that is comparable Bell&Aiz.
I digress.

A 16 yr old Willem would beat Kirito.
The current Willem would devour Kirito.

But then again what is the playing field,whose world are they going to fight in eh?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Well I don't think the time he spent petrified would make him more mature. He is older than Kirito though (18 vs 14-17), and he was the caretaker of an orphans previously.
Melicans

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Overall I really enjoyed the series. Some parts felt uneven towards the end, but I suppose that is what comes from adapting all five books into one season of episodes. It seems almost entirely certain that spoiler[Ctholly died and was reborn], but I'm not sure spoiler[if Ren died too, or Willem for that matter. What little I have seen online in English suggests that Ren actually survived even though her gate opened. That her image was greyed out suggested she died, but that she was not shown to have reincarnated like Ctholly did gives hope that she continued to live.]

I understand that there is a sequel series with three volumes published so far; hopefully that will one day be adapted too.
Millhi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
Overall I really enjoyed the series. Some parts felt uneven towards the end, but I suppose that is what comes from adapting all five books into one season of episodes. It seems almost entirely certain that spoiler[Ctholly died and was reborn], but I'm not sure spoiler[if Ren died too, or Willem for that matter. What little I have seen online in English suggests that Ren actually survived even though her gate opened. That her image was greyed out suggested she died, but that she was not shown to have reincarnated like Ctholly did gives hope that she continued to live.]

I understand that there is a sequel series with three volumes published so far; hopefully that will one day be adapted too.

Only 3 volumes were adapted out of the 5.
Willem and Nephren:
spoiler[Willem and Nephren are alive, pulse meter we saw indicated that at that gandalf old guy with 2 pulses.
Chtolly also took away her venemum(Her eyes changed from full red to her blue eyes again) ]

That end scene was awkward, how a single missing line can confuse so many people. It's beyond me why they didn't use a narrator for that part.
spoiler[baby chtolly is a flashback scene, not her being reborn]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:

That end scene was awkward, how a single missing line can confuse so many people. It's beyond me why they didn't use a narrator for that part.
spoiler[baby chtolly is a flashback scene, not her being reborn]

That confused me too, though a part of me wonders if the confusion is deliberate in this case. Since they probably don't know for sure if they'll be able to do a second season and adapt the last 2 volumes, making seem like spoiler[she was being reborn] would potentially add a bit more conclusiveness to the ending.

Anyways, as many issues as I've had with this show, both as an adaption and as a stand alone product, it managed a fairly satisfying ending. Still hope we get a second season though.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the story of Willem and Chtholly is thoroughly wrapped up.

But there is a cliffhanger,the Grand Sage's bio scanner was a bleeping towards the end.

But given this studio and the amount of source material left,a second season is doubtful.
Sad really given the 4th volume's even stronger story telling would have really hooked viewers.

Perhaps SukaMoka will break sales records and I'll win Powerball(a multi State lottery).
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

But given this studio and the amount of source material left,a second season is doubtful.
Sad really given the 4th volume's even stronger story telling would have really hooked viewers.

They adapted the 3rd volume into 6 episodes, so them adapting the last 2 volumes as 12 episodes is certainly doable. Yeah, some material has been moved around (including some stuff from those alter volumes showing up already) but there's still a lot of things left out, and a lot of room for expansion, especially involving Willem's past, where the first season cut out a bunch of stuff from the first 3 volumes.

Sales will be a big question of course, and I have no idea how popular the anime was. I wouldn't completely abandon all hope yet though.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:48 pm Reply with quote
@Mad_Scientist
&
@Millhi

True,by not in some way adapting the first line of spoiler[ v3 c 5] the whole meaning of that scene changes.

I'll point out this spoiler[ the line from v3 c4 p5 ] so by changing the scene spoiler[the author gives fans a glimmer of hope that contradicts parts of v3 v4 and v5.] And adds further to spoiler[the hullabaloo over SukaMoka's 4th volume's cover,it is not Chtholly herself.]
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

They adapted the 3rd volume into 6 episodes, so them adapting the last 2 volumes as 12 episodes is certainly doable. Yeah, some material has been moved around (including some stuff from those alter volumes showing up already) but there's still a lot of things left out, and a lot of room for expansion, especially involving Willem's past, where the first season cut out a bunch of stuff from the first 3 volumes.

Sales will be a big question of course, and I have no idea how popular the anime was. I wouldn't completely abandon all hope yet though.

Episodes 10 and 11 adapted spoiler[ 5th vol c2 p1] part of Elq's monologue of episode 11 drew upon plot points of spoiler[the 4th and 5th volumes,good part of her speech could be considered from Jade Nails point of view,and he does not show up in the novel till]

So of the twelve episodes,six were used to adapt the 1st&2nd volumes,the last six adapter parts of the 3rd&5th volumes and used a bit the 4th.

Now the author would have to come up with more than a few original scenes to stretch the 4th & 5th volumes into twelve episodes.
spoiler[Yes Willem's past is the strongest part of SukaSuka's story and I feel the anime did itself a dis-service by not adapting Almaria's earlier chapters (v1 ch5 in particular)]

But I do not see this author changing his spots,given how few scenes were anime original and how little he altered the anime from his novel,to cover gaps created by cut an or trimmed chapters,kind of having his cake and eating it to.

Again I agree the 4th could, in better hands, be adapted into a far superior anime,structure and story wise-but reality.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I think they ended just about as well as they could have, and I put a fair amount of weight on ending well, so I will say it was a great series, even if it could have been improved. I was tearing up a little in this episode, so it definitely had the intended effect (Nothing makes me cry outright, and I say that with absolute confidence, having recently seen Grave of the Fireflies for the first time. Your Name was similarly affecting to this show to me). I'd definitely watch another season, though perhaps they ought to get an experienced series composition writer to help the author if not take over the writing of the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 21