• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network to End Toonami on September 20

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deathnoteforever

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
first FLCL turns out to be a short series.
next bye bye bigO.
then deathnote ends.
code g is moved to 5:00am.
now Toonami is canceled.
i watched the first &the last episode.they should of had more anime on that night.
from back in the day.u know some classics.
Goodmorningcrono

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I would've joined in and commented on this earlier but college can be a pain.

It's too bad man. Toonami came at a time when a bunch of disgruntled teacher groups with parents they brainwashed and shrinks of questionable qualifications forced most children's TV programs to be "educational" and destroyed what was good about cartoons

Many good shows were canceled and replaced by drek of the lowest caliber. Instead of good shows like Gargoyles that had this thing called a COMPLEX PLOT, we were treated to crap where various morals were beaten into our heads over and over again. Most of these morals were quite questionable (the elders and authority figures were always right no matter what or the one who went against the group was always wrong).

Thankfully, Japan didn't have the moral guardian nutjobs running their airwaves and they had an excellent grasp of what animation could and SHOULD be. Toonami brought it here.

Granted, it wasn't exactly perfect, (anyone remember Vegeta blowing up those plains and saying the pilots got out ok when there was no way that was possible?) but it was better than the alternatives.

It showed me personally that cartoons could be more than Wile E. Coyote getting blown up.

Even if you didn't like some of the anime, you'd have to give Toonami some credit. Their Midnight Run segment (where they aired Gundam Wing among other anime uncut) opened the door for Adult Swim.
Now CN has shows that try to outdo each other with fart jokes and bathroom humor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 20 of 20