• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross: Do You Remember Love? BD to Bundle Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Seriously, English subtitles would partially solve this whole license fiasco. It's almost as if they want people to pirate it.

They don't care. And the people who are going to buy it likely won't either. After you've seen it a good 5 or more times, needing subtitles isn't a necessity. But if you're the type of person who sticks to their morals and has never seen it before, I just don't see how you could be as enthused as others who have waited to see this film in a format that actually benefits its art and animation. I'd almost want to say to watch the fansub while you preorder, just to make yourself more psyched up for rewatching it in HD; you'll want to rewatch it regardless.

Besides, this is one of the most English fansubbed anime properties in existence, going back two decades. We still see new subtitles and reencodes popping up every so often. I agree that adding subtitles to every single BD would help some piracy and do a double service and giving money back to Japan, but they just don't seem to grasp the idea of taking on and embracing the international market themselves too seriously.
SleepyNeko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I have DYRL LD too. Is yours 2 disc-box special edition or single disc edition? It doesn't have much bonus materials as BD, but packaging is still beautiful.

Ouch. Unless they give your pre-order promo item (like poster), CD Japan is charging you full price.

I have the five-side CAV "Perfect Edition".

SDF Macross: Do You Remember Love 'Perfect Edition' LaserDisc box by SleepyNeko80, on Flickr

I usually get pre-order freebies, but I also have a bunch of store credit with CDJapan, so even the full MSRP really isn't my price.
Norbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:23 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Romuska wrote:
Seriously, English subtitles would partially solve this whole license fiasco. It's almost as if they want people to pirate it.

They don't care. And the people who are going to buy it likely won't either. After you've seen it a good 5 or more times, needing subtitles isn't a necessity. But if you're the type of person who sticks to their morals and has never seen it before, I just don't see how you could be as enthused as others who have waited to see this film in a format that actually benefits its art and animation. I'd almost want to say to watch the fansub while you preorder, just to make yourself more psyched up for rewatching it in HD; you'll want to rewatch it regardless.

Besides, this is one of the most English fansubbed anime properties in existence, going back two decades. We still see new subtitles and reencodes popping up every so often. I agree that adding subtitles to every single BD would help some piracy and do a double service and giving money back to Japan, but they just don't seem to grasp the idea of taking on and embracing the international market themselves too seriously.

I recently purchased "Gunbuster: The Complete Edition", also without and english subtitles, because i love the show - and i also have the earlier edition that came out in the US with english subtitles. As a little side-note; i don't understand or speak Japanese.

Watching the blu-ray, even knowing what is going on and remembering the subtitles of the earlier release; i didn't really get into it. I missed the subtitles.

I believe the same will be with this Macross film.

I hope they include english subtitles, and if they do i'd get the release with a heart beat. Now i know this phrase is used all over the forums, but i do really mean that.

And if the special features also had english subtitles......... hold on.....let me get a tissue. Embarassed

peace
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote
I just recently saw this movie and loved the hell out of it. I'll be setting some money aside for the day they release it with subtitles.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
For those who for whom this matters:

98% of the Japanese home video releases don't even have Japanese subtitles for the hearing impaired!

The Japanese just don't care to put the expense of adding subtitles unless there is a specific request for it.... There are more subtitles put into releases for educational releases than there are for foreign nationals or Japan's own handicapped.

It's nothing personal... It's just the way their home video releases are.

As for Macross -- yeah, there's still the legal wrangling in Japan but none of the other official video releases I've ever owned or watched (short of fansubs) have ever had English subtitles.

Buyer beware.... Only get this set or the TV series Blu ray release if you're prepared to sit without English for 2 hours.

I really can't understand WHY you'd buy the Blu ray release of the TV show since it's still readily available in the US on DVD for a lot less money if you bother to look. There are still copies of the AnimEigo DVD release floating around for less than MSRP -- that's the best version to get audio-wise in the US if you care for the Japanese audio -- in addition to the hybrid dubbed DVD edition ADV Films/Section 23 commissioned years ago.

Besides, the Japanese TV Blu ray release is just going to highlight all the animation mistakes that much more clearly. It won't have the coloring issues that the earlier DVD releases had in both the US and Japan did but frankly isn't worth the extra $300-$400 minimum that you'll pay over the R1 DVD releases. And I LOVE Macross...! => But I have my own living/spending priorities and that BD edition ain't worth it for the money and lack of English IMHO.

Save that money for something else that does have subtitles and is a heck of a lot cheaper!

I still plan to get the premium release on Japanese BD of the Macross movie for both that film and Flashback 2012. I've got the Perfect 3-disc CAV LD set but have waited for a 5-inch optical version with superior video and none of the region-coding issues that the DVD releases had...

I would NOT recommend getting the PS3 hybrid edition for videophiles to be honest unless you don't care about the game. The game's not going to be that good. Macross games this generation have been a complete wash unless you own a PSP. The last decent Macross console game was the one released for the PS2.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:45 am Reply with quote
I'd be interested to know how the image quality of this will compare to the DVD reissue from 2007 (the one without the interlacing artifacts). The print used for that release was unusually grainy for an SD transfer and if they're going back to the negative, there should be a noticeable difference.
However, I don't believe the concert scene at the end of the movie is ever going to look any better than an upscale. It originated in the Flashback 2012 supplement and was edited on analog video, afterall.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Anyone found a place to pre-order? Ami Ami is sold out of collectors edition and Play asia says pre orders opening soon.

I'm Macross for life and really want this collectors edition.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
You can use tenso.com to forward a purchase through amazon.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quote
I'll never forget the silly fan in '07 at a Bandai Visual USA panel that asked if they were going to license DYRL. Everyone laughed Smile
IdeaOfEvil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
FYI, the pre-order is up at Play-Asia now. After shipping to California, USA, the total cost is $226.80.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3