• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sports anime recommendation thread.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soleste81

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
I thank everyone for their recommendations of sports anime. I'm kind of disappointed how it turned into a tournament posting though. I understand that things like Go, Shougi, and Mahjong were included mainly because they still deal in many team and individual type competitions and that they may continue on in high prestige if someone is good enough. I'm looking for sports anime and I've seen almost all of the ones mentioned here. However, I didn't notice Dear Boys (a basketball anime) in there. It was pretty cliched in all honesty, but it was good and unlike most anime where the underdogs win, they lost for the right reason.

I did like: Shion no Ou, Hikaru no Go, Akagi, Saki, Yakitate!! Japan, Eyeshield 21, Prince of Tennis, Inazuma Eleven, Knight in the Area, Major, One Outs, Cross Game, Dear Boys, Hajimme no Ippo, Overdrive, Initial D, Free!
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
So, one of this weeks answerman got me wondering. How many purely sport-themed ,underdog stories are there with female leads? I ask this because while i have seen plenty of sports shows with both gender, i rarely see the Hajime no ippo approach to the sport in the manga with female leads. The closest i can think of is Chihayafuru, but other then that i've yet to find one that fits the bill as closely. Anyone have any suggestiones?

{Just FYI: This is the column being referred to. ~nobahn}
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
@Azmodeus
I have never seen Hajime no ippo so I do not know what you mean by "underdog."

It seems to me that the main characters are usually the underdogs and the point of the story is that the underdog finds a way to win. Such as in Bamboo Blade and Princess Nine.

But I guess that you are looking for something different?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Night fox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
@Azmodeus

Yeah, you don't hear much about sports anime where the female mutalisk... err lead goes toe-to-toe with a demonlord in the boxing ring. If animes like that were frequent, I'd probably watch a lot more sports shows. Wink Laughing

I suppose you could check out this thread, dealing with strong female leads/co-leads, but I doubt it'll have many sports shows listed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3