• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Character Guessing Game, Q2-2012 Round.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote
Original Time Stamp

Hint 1: spoiler[The girl is about to board a plane]
Hint 2: spoiler[The piece is an allegorical anime from the '70s]
Hint 3: spoiler[The writer/producer/director is known for his puppet animation work]
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Hint 4: spoiler[And was more recently prominently involved in Winter Days]
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Is it spoiler[the girl from The Trip by Kihachiro Kawamoto]?

The work is mostly animated, but isn't this image from a portion made up of photographic images of real people? Is it acceptable to use non-animated images from a mixed-media work like this?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
Is it spoiler[the girl from The Trip by Kihachiro Kawamoto]?

The work is mostly animated, but isn't this image from a portion made up of photographic images of real people? Is it acceptable to use non-animated images from a mixed-media work like this?
I would like to argue it is not acceptable. Even if this person represents an animated version of herself who is an anime character, images of real people don't count as anime characters. Another reason is there are stylistic differences from one anime to the next that helps one guess which show an image is from, but there aren't consistently stylistic differences from one photograph to the next that are associated with different shows.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
Yes, you're right, Calathan.

As for your query, sorry if you're thinking the image offends the spirit of the game. Obviously this animation is itself experimental; pushing the envelope of what's allowed in the game was not my intention, however! (I will admit that reading a recent post about anime and style had me itching to choose something I knew that was clearly not "anime style".)

I don't know much about terminology, but as far as I know "animation" is used to describe things that include stop-motion live-action photography of real people as well as of puppets and drawings. And also animation commonly includes non-moving shots. And what I was intending was to choose something a bit amusing and unexpected rather than trick anyone. In any reference resource guessers might check, surely spoiler[Tabi] will be described as a work of "animation" (or "collage animation").

If I can put in a plug for spoiler[Tabi,] do watch it if you haven't. It's only painful the first time. Very Happy

Edit: @Past
I see your point. I don't know if she's an anime character. But she's definitely a a character from an anime. And I wonder whether your reasoning might end up ruling out one-off experimental anime altogether, which wouldn't be desirable.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Edit: @Past
I see your point. I don't know if she's an anime character. But she's definitely a a character from an anime. And I wonder whether your reasoning might end up ruling out one-off experimental anime altogether, which wouldn't be desirable.
Well if the experimental anime is entirely stop motion imagery with photographs only, I wouldn't really classify it as anime, but depending on special cases how the images are used it might be. My first point stressed that the character should actually be animated at least in part during some point in the show. So a character in an animated show, who never actually appears animated, no I don't think qualifies. This doesn't rule out the show itself in any way, just which characters can be used. I support the idea of using experimental and unconventional anime to broaden the spectrum of the game, it's just that lines have to be drawn somewhere (pun intended).
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
Personally, I would say characters from stop motion animation using dolls or puppets or things like that is fine, but I think images of actual people shouldn't be used (even if they are from a work that is mostly anime).

Anyway, here is the next character:

G-mofactor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:06 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Kawasaki Maki from Burn Up W]
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
I actually really liked the image that ailbletyn used and don't feel it at all falls outside the spirit of the game. I feel like it's akin to using a still from the "drawn in crayon" moments that a few series have had, etc. As long as the overall film (or whatever this would be classed as) was mostly anime, then I'd say it's fine. That being said, if the majority of film is live action with just a short scene being animated (ala Kill Bill 2), then I would say that falls outside the scope of the game.

I know I've seen a few anime that have done stuff like this, at least during the credits, although I can no longer think of specific examples. I was surprised the image was from the 70s though--every time I looked at it, it made me think of Honey and Clover (probably due to the stop motion OP).
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote
G-mofactor wrote:
spoiler[Kawasaki Maki from Burn Up W]

That's correct.
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
Next Character!!
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
P.S. If anyone wants to check out the (12 minute) anime from which my image was drawn to make up their minds about the issues raised above, it's up on YouTube (search spoiler[The Trip - Kihachiro Kawamoto]). And it's included on the KINO DVD spoiler[The Exquisite Short Films of Kihachiro Kawamoto]).

No idea on the current image.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
Is that spoiler[Rin Kamishiro from Maburaho?]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Is that spoiler[Rin Kamishiro from Maburaho?]

You are correct.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 79