• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Shangri-La TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Another year to wait before I get to spent my money on this anime...
TD912

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I guess I should do so sooner rather than later since it will probably be removed from crunchyroll as Funimation's release get's closer.

Interestingly, most licensed Gonzo titles are still available for streaming on Crunchyroll, like Tower of Druaga, Blassreiter, and Linebarrels. I think these shows were during the time Gonzo partnered with Crunchyroll before they went bankrupt. Maybe Crunchyroll has separate streaming rights for these shows?
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
Forgot about this one. Just re-read some of the 2009 Preview reviews on it. Premise sounds interesting, so I'll be anticipating its Funimation release.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
BluWacky wrote:
the usual offensively stereotypical transvestites

Weren't they actually transsexuals? I don't remember exactly.

This plays back into Mr. sickVisionz's comments about Jellyfish Princess and "trannies," but there is a difference between men who enjoy dressing in women's clothes but are otherwise cisgendered (i.e. identify with their given gender) and men who actually identify as female. Kuronosuke from Jellyfish Princess is cisgendered (and straight), he just loves women's clothing and looks damn good in them. The characters in Shangri-La (one of whom was played by Jouji Nakata, which was weird as heck) identified as women and had female names. Not that anime is very good at making that distinction, though Jellyfish Princess did, and I applaud them for it.

Anyway, I quit this series like a third of the way through because I found it dull, but hey, I guess Funimation thinks it must have a potential audience. It'll be interesting to see how they market it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
BluWacky wrote:
the usual offensively stereotypical transvestites

Weren't they actually transsexuals? I don't remember exactly.

This plays back into Mr. sickVisionz's comments about Jellyfish Princess and "trannies," but there is a difference between men who enjoy dressing in women's clothes but are otherwise cisgendered (i.e. identify with their given gender) and men who actually identify as female. Kuronosuke from Jellyfish Princess is cisgendered (and straight), he just loves women's clothing and looks damn good in them. The characters in Shangri-La (one of whom was played by Jouji Nakata, which was weird as heck) identified as women and had female names. Not that anime is very good at making that distinction, though Jellyfish Princess did, and I applaud them for it.

The guy used the term "newhalf", to which my understanding means some kind of physical change to become more feminine, be in breast augmentation or hormone treatment.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:07 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The guy used the term "newhalf", to which my understanding means some kind of physical change to become more feminine, be in breast augmentation or hormone treatment.

Yes, that's what it means. So I remembered correctly, they're transsexual, not transvestites or cross-dressers. I wonder how Funimation will handle the dub on that. They have the opportunity to improve on the original, which cast extremely masculine actors in what I guess was a joke (though as a straight woman, hearing Jouji Nakata's voice coming out of a D-cub body was a strange, strange experience...so many conflicted feelings!).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:
They had a partnership, and licensed mostly everything from GONZO up until Saki and Shangri-La, which was when the whole recession hit and when GONZO went bankrupt.

Even with a great production staff, if the studio doesn't have enough time and money the show might not turn out that great.
[...]
And now I'm wondering... Does this mean Funimation might actually license Saki...?

The DVD release of Shangri-La was cancelled mid-release and the latter half came out as a single box instead - something pretty much unheard of.
This news has no direct bearing on Saki, since Gonzo don't appear to be handling the English-language rights like they do for a lot of their series; the publisher on Crunchyroll is TV Tokyo and besides, Gonzo only animated the first 14 episodes.

Dagon123 wrote:
Merger's been done bro, lol They've been perpetuating this crap to make it look like its not their fault (which it always is), and if you do your homework, AND even ask the voice actors, they all say the same thing "FUNimation sits on there titles for upwards of 6 months for absolutely no reason"

..because that makes total business sense. Just because the reasons are not immediately apparent to someone with no inside knowledge doesn't mean there aren't reasons - materials, approvals, plain old holdups due to Japan wanting to extend the exclusivity of their own releases as long as possible... I don't know how you can possible argue that the delay on the Geneon licensed/rescues hasn't been abnormally long.

TD912 wrote:
Interestingly, most licensed Gonzo titles are still available for streaming on Crunchyroll, like Tower of Druaga, Blassreiter, and Linebarrels. I think these shows were during the time Gonzo partnered with Crunchyroll before they went bankrupt. Maybe Crunchyroll has separate streaming rights for these shows?

Gonzo pretty much lead the field in simulcasting and threw things around to see what would stick; they used multiple venues, like Crunchroll, BOST and YouTube and tried different payment schemes. I've tended to refer to it as multicasting; it was more like Gonzo was utilizing the various sites as services than selling to them as a customer - like how FUNimation puts shows on YouTube and Hulu.
Basically, it seems be that while FUNimation have obtained a license to stream the shows, Gonzo still retains their right to stream it elsewhere.

vashfanatic wrote:
Yes, that's what it means. So I remembered correctly, they're transsexual, not transvestites or cross-dressers. I wonder how Funimation will handle the dub on that. They have the opportunity to improve on the original, which cast extremely masculine actors in what I guess was a joke (though as a straight woman, hearing Jouji Nakata's voice coming out of a D-cub body was a strange, strange experience...so many conflicted feelings!).

I remember being confused about how far they had each gone, and can't remember what the answer was, if any. I think the "okama" character is as much a staple stereotype of Japanese culture as the camp gay is over here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
While flawed I definitely enjoyed this show and it's attempted ambition and totally loved the protagonists (and enjoyed the evil manipulative villain).

As mentioned, at the time it was airing I was hoping that since Funi and Gonzo had teamed up to release a bunch of their shows in a row up until this period that eventually they'd do this one and since they have teamed up again for the new Last Exile I was kind of holding out hope eventually Funi might get around to going back to Shangri-La so this is pretty cool and I'm glad I still have reasonable hope eventually I'll be able to get this in dual-audio physical release in the future from them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3