• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sharing anime with your family?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
DAD -- No. I don't even want to try. See, he doesn't like movies in general, so trying to get him to like any anime when he's already disinterested in many great movies I love is a futile effort. The only thing he's seen is Gurren Lagann and that was DISASTROUS. (I didn't WANT him to watch it, he just did!) Let's just say he didn't approve of Yoko or Leeron...at all. Laughing

MOM -- No, but I can talk about the plots to some shows I've seen with her when we discuss literature, film and classic themes in them and stuff. She's an English major who also enjoys history and philosophy, so we can talk about that stuff. But she's "too old" to actually watch them. She used to think it was stupid and perverse, but now she doesn't because I tried to introduce her to Fullmetal Alchemist, but she only agreed to watch it when she was dead tired and then rudely slept through it. She was awake enough to watch episode 3 at normal attention span, and found it very interesting and well-done, instantly absolving me of liking anime. She said she didn't have the time to ever watch the show, but wanted to know what happened in it. As a result of all that, she likes me to tell her a bit about some of the plots (if they're relevant to what we were discussing) but won't watch anything.

If I watch anime at home, it's late at night when she can't walk in on me, but on the few occasions that she has, she always stands and watches with me for about five minutes. Then she leaves without a word. Odd...well, whatev.

BROTHER -- He's 21. He hates anime. Especially after watching part of Fruits Basket, which he found really stupid. Or at least he did. Then I told him if he could Fullmetal Alchemist and still hate anime, then I'd never bother him again and he'd be allowed to shower me with insults while I watch. (I knew he'd like it, so it wasn't a gamble.) He loved it, begged me to watch it with him whenever we had a free moment, and still really likes it now. On an anime high, he asked me what else I had, so I broke out the Miyazaki. He liked Howl's Moving Castle okay, but I figured he wouldn't get it anyway, so I placed all bets on him preferring Princess Mononoke. He enjoyed it more, but for whatever reason it was enough of a step DOWN from FMA to quell his thirst for more anime. He had no desire to watch more, declared FMA the only "good" anime out there. I tried Cowboy Bebop on him the following summer, appealing to his love for music, but it bored him because of its episodic nature. I gave up. He can like what he likes, you know? But, honestly, he has terrible taste in movies...better than most people, but terrible compared to me and my friends/family, so meh. It doesn't surprise me that he'd be closed-minded to anything that wasn't FMA.

SISTER -- She's 11. I'm raising an anime fan, I'm afraid. She's always been attached to me and loved whatever I loved, starting with a love for animals, shifting to video games and soon to anime and movies. She's even acquired my sense of humor. At first I was concerned because I didn't want her to copy my tastes just because we were so close. My fears were ill-founded though, because I think she likes it of her own free will. Our tastes aren't identical, there are many shows I like that she says "yuck!" to. Laughing She LOVES Howl's Moving Castle, The Cat Returns, Digimon, Fruits Basket, and The Vision of Escaflowne. She also enjoys snippets of other things like Ouran, Wolf's Rain, Trigun, GetBackers etc., the list goes on forever. Whenever I have anything anime-related on me or with me, she always asks me "WHAT'S THAT?!" and wants every little detail. We kinda already have a list of "things I'll let her watch when she's older." Wink I promised her I'd let her watch Wolf's Rain this summer, as I think she's finally old enough to watch it by that time and has always wanted to. She's always adored the poster I have of it (she thinks Kiba's really cute, and draws pictures of him)

My only fear is that anime, being more mature by nature even in the tame stuff, is going to expose her to stuff she's too young for. This is a huge problem with Ouran, which she really likes, but I keep having to tell her she can't watch very much of because of the ecchi humor. I keep having to send her out of the room, and she came DANGEROUSLY close to asking me "the question" when she saw a little too much of Jyu Oh Sei and asked why Third "couldn't have children." Shocked I told her it was because he, uh, didn't have the ability to be a daddy...because, uh, he didn't have baby-making stuff. "There's baby-making stuff? Where does he keep it?" Shocked I think I got out of it by talking about how we got the cats neutered and spayed, and it was like that, but he was born that way, but GEEZ, that was close!

As for what she doesn't like, basically anything too macho or anything where there are no bishounen to be found in the story. She finds those downright icky. No getting her to watch Yu Yu Hakusho or nothin', but then again, she's too young for most of the humor in that one. Kinda glad she's not attached to it. Same with Cowboy Bebop or any other seinen and about half the shonen stuff out there that isn't gushy enough for her.
Jrocker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:12 am Reply with quote
Actually, I didn't enforce my likings on my brothers and sisters, they just like almost the same things I like. I've got 3 brothers and a twin sister - they all watch anime because they like it.

Though one time I had to enforce yaoi on my sister because I know she will love it and she did! Anime hyper So then we started watching Junjou Romantica together. There is nothing better than fangirling with someone close to you! Very Happy

My parents... they are boring! D< They think anime is for kids. They just don't seem to understand that we actually relate it and get attached to the characters :/

..But you'll always see me around the family trying to promote anime. That's because I know they will like it - and I always like to see people enjoy their selves so yeah...
Elfen12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
If I watch anime at home, it's late at night when she can't walk in on me, but on the few occasions that she has, she always stands and watches with me for about five minutes. Then she leaves without a word. Odd...well, whatev.

I have the samme thing too, it's really irritating. My mom really doesn't liek it when i leave my door closed because she thinks that i'm trying to exclude my life out of the family... even though it's only me and my mom living there. I can see how she says that, (and my skating certianly makes it so i'm not always home), but that isn't even close to what it is. It's because i don't want what happens that Jesu described to continue happening... because it happens alot. I remember a particular experience when i was watchin Green Green. .... Green Green, yeah... soo, i was sitting there, it was like 2am in the morning because i coudlnt' sleep... and i had bought it and i figured i should finish it and i was nearing the end i think. I'm going to put this in spoilers because it is a spoiler, but i'll seriosly paraphrase after...spoiler[ I was at that one scene when (i'm having amnesia i don't remember the 2 peoples names) but they're having sex and the view (like if it was a camera) is in the guys position who is laying on the ground/bed. ] (Paraphrase: Sex). I still don't know how much she was watching, but i know she saw the beginning of that untill i felt a pair of eyes on me for some reason. I think she had been watching for 10 minutes before that happened, and then a few minutes during. I had to explain a lot, she thouht... yeah. But yeah, it happens sometimes in random anime like Azumanga Daioh the other day and it happened with Trinity Gun... it happens a lot, i'm just naming ones that i remember for one reason or another. So yeah, that defintiely happens in my household as well. *sigh* the good times.

-Elfen12-
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
told her it was because he, uh, didn't have the ability to be a daddy...because, uh, he didn't have baby-making stuff. "There's baby-making stuff? Where does he keep it?" I think I got out of it by talking about how we got the cats neutered and spayed, and it was like that, but he was born that way, but GEEZ, that was close!

Wait...she's 11 and she doesn't know any of that stuff? I mean, isn't that around 5th grade? What about health class where girls and guys went into seperate rooms? Heck, I was a sheltered child, but I did know pretty much the basic details by then. (Though I think reading and the internet helped me on that...and my sister's loveable gutter mouth when she was in 9th grade o__O)

Well, I guess keep them innocent longer, but still I just found that wierd, in my opinion.

(and now for something slightly more on topic) I'm actually jealous that most of you were the first in your family, I always end up borrowing from my older sister (even If I don't want too, I still end up doing it) though I think I'm more into anime and manga than my sister, or the same, and my mom knows about miyazaki, etc. Is there anyone else who was influenced eventually one way or another from their family? I'm impressed than the lot of you found it on yourselves D: So resourceful! :3
farruinn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Sounds like she's in denial. At least she likes discussing it with you even if she doesn't watch it.
Personally, I don't have any great desire to involve my family members with anime. They have their tastes, I have mine. My 12 year old brother would probably enjoy some though.

mistypearl wrote:
Is there anyone else who was influenced eventually one way or another from their family? I'm impressed than the lot of you found it on yourselves D: So resourceful! :3

I was introduced to anime by friends. I would imagine that applies to a number of other people too. Plenty of people were probably introduced to anime through American TV like toonami as well.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
farruinn wrote:
mistypearl wrote:
Is there anyone else who was influenced eventually one way or another from their family? I'm impressed than the lot of you found it on yourselves D: So resourceful! :3

I was introduced to anime by friends. I would imagine that applies to a number of other people too. Plenty of people were probably introduced to anime through American TV like toonami as well.

I kind of got into anime on my own through toonami (R.I.P), and later on Adult Swim. But my cousin helped me get into allot of other stuff. I'd say it was about 50/50.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I had a situation kinda like that. I mean, I liked anime before my friends did, but I was alone in it, so I didn't really expand my fandom past Toonami and was very quiet about it. Then, in eighth grade, all my friends started REALLY liking anime. So, because it was now socially advantageous for me to check more stuff out, I did. Honestly, if none of my friends liked anime, I don't think I would have explored it nearly as much. The fact that it's a standard social activity now just encourages my fandom. I'm very much a people person, so I'd be sad if I couldn't share something I liked. I guess this is also why I introduced it to my family in the first place. If I'm passionate about something, I wanna spread the love. Razz

Mistypearl wrote:

Wait...she's 11 and she doesn't know any of that stuff? I mean, isn't that around 5th grade? What about health class where girls and guys went into seperate rooms? Heck, I was a sheltered child, but I did know pretty much the basic details by then. (Though I think reading and the internet helped me on that...and my sister's loveable gutter mouth when she was in 9th grade o__O)

Well, my parents do shelter their children. I had to BREAK out of it to become the pervy individual I am today, but I still associate "that knowledge" with about age 12, and I think they teach sex ed in 7th grade here. Whatever the case, my sister's on the brink of figuring all that stuff out, but not quiiiiite there yet. In any case, I don't wanna be the one to explain it. THAT'S Mom's job! Laughing
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
My brother likes certain anime, but I'd never call him a fan. Hell, he's the kind of person who acts as though I'm a freak for watching so much anime while he hordes the X-Box playing Halo or Call of Duty, lol! Anime smile He loves Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, and Dragonball Z, and has been known to watch Excel Saga, Evangelion, and Elfen Lied.

My father I'm not even going to bother trying...

My mom, though, is an interesting case. She enjoyed several of the anime that was around in her time like Speed Racer, Kimba the White Lion, and Gigantor (aka Tetsujin 28). She really enjoys Miyazaki, specifically Spirited Away, along with Ghost in the Shell. Nevertheless, recently I've been showing her several anime series, and she seemed to really love Fruits Basket, Elfen Lied, Evangelion, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. She also enjoyed Hellsing, but couldn't stand Azumanga Daioh or Excel Saga. Ah well, not everyone's perfect. Anime smile She's even gone as far as to really get into discussing some anime with me, most notably spoiler[while watching Evangelion she talked a lot about how bad she felt for Asuka and Rei, especially Asuka about her mother going crazy and hanging herself, but couldn't stand Gendo.] She's also interested in watching Trigun and maybe even Sailor Moon.

My two cousins, however, are the biggest fans in my family. While they're more interested in reading manga, I have introduced them to just about all the aforementioned series and more. They are mostly into Fruits Basket, but one of them is also really into The Wallflower (to the point where she's actually ahead of me in the manga!) and Azumanga Daioh. They may even consider going to a con, which I find somewhat shocking.
Alestal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
My older sister(year older) is into anime, though she is starting to back away from the genre now that she's in college and doesn't really wanna share that part (can't blame her, I don't either) with her boyfriend/friends.

But ever since we were little we've liked anime and we've become good friends discussing it, it's something I'll miss now that she's moved out but I think everyone moves on sometime.

Highlights of the anime shows we both enjoyed, Tenchi Muyo, Rurouni Kenshin, Outlaw Star, Chrono Crusade, Full Moon and Fruits basket(a while back..), Dragon Ball, His and Her Circumstances, Inuyasha, Record of lodoss wars, Only yesterday, Ouran High School Host club, REC, Samurai Champloo, Yu Yu Hakusho, Howl's moving castle(saw it with me in theatres), Spirited away(asked to see it with me when she came back for winter break),Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Perfect Blue, Kikis Delivery Service. I don't think we would've been as good friends if it wasn't for anime, and Ill miss watching them with her.
farruinn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
I think everyone moves on sometime.

Not sure if you mean moving on from Anime specifically or various interests in general here. I could understand "moving on" from certain genres as you grow older, but I think Anime is diverse enough that audiences of all ages can find something to enjoy. That's sort of been a major theme in this thread.
Elfen12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Alestal, I don't know how intense your emotion is because it can be rather hard to tell on the forums... but hm, i found that to be rather sad, one of the more .. emotional thread posts in a while. I konw i can't really share the same feelings because my brother who moved onto college was well, in self-denial about his meager anime viewings (they still are anime viewings though). But damn, that really is kinda sad, i'm sorry to hear that. It's cool that something like that can bring a siblings together in the way that it sounds like it did for you. As for the "people move on" i think that's not an accurate assesment of how people move through differnet hobbies and habits. Some people do actually tend to stay in a habit or hobby or something for life... they're true fans you konw. I mean many people do movce on, i'm sure many ANNers will move on from anime at some point... but there will always be some who don't... those really really intense fans, no intense is a bad word, i mean really dedicated fans... those who have heewwggee collections and anime apparrel and all that... some of them will always stay anime fans.

My bro is kinda just in denial... denial isn't just a river in egypt you know.

* when i say sad in this post, i mean like sad liik cry sad, not like sarcastic pathetic sad... just wanted to clear that up *

-Elfen12-
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
farruinn wrote:
Alestal wrote:
I think everyone moves on sometime.

Not sure if you mean moving on from Anime specifically or various interests in general here. I could understand "moving on" from certain genres as you grow older, but I think Anime is diverse enough that audiences of all ages can find something to enjoy. That's sort of been a major theme in this thread.

Yeah, I know some people move on from anime. But I can't really see myself doing something like that. I think after you get to the point were you buy dvds/mangas, go to anime cons, and get on forums to talk about your fandom, then there's not much of a chance of going back. It kinda becomes a life style at that point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teekay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I've tried watching with my parents, without much luck. Spirited Away was "too weird", and they fell asleep during Castle in the Sky. My dad did like the one episode of Ghost in the Shell: SAC he saw, though. I may try again with that or Cowboy Bebop in the future.

My younger sister is fairly into it though. We started out with Miyazaki movies, and now we watch Naruto and Bleach each week. Beyond that, usually I'll watch a movie or series, and if it's appropriate and I like it enough, I'll watch it through again with her. It's worked well so far with The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Last Exile, Azumanga Daioh, and Kino's Journey. Hoping to go with Paprika, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Haibane Renmei pretty soon.
r3a93r

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:49 am Reply with quote
my dad didn't like akira so he is never going to give it a chance. won't even listen to me i could tell him one that he would like.

my mom will listen to me talk about anime and that is about it.

my brother is the one who introduced me to anime with akira probley when i was around seven i happend to walk down stairs and see the part spoiler[ where Tetsuo is freaking out and he sees his guts fall out]. I was like that was so aswome.

older sister doesn't care never wants to give it a chance.

my little sister is only a year younger than me and shell watch it when i am if she happens to be in my room. she like Strawberry marshmallo a lot.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
r3a93r wrote:
my dad didn't like akira so he is never going to give it a chance. won't even listen to me i could tell him one that he would like.

Akira seems like a bad choice when introducing someone to anime. It's great but it's really out there and it's hard for non anime fans to except. But it's cool that you at least tried with it. It seems impossible to get the right one for them to like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8