• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Smash Hits of Korean Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:39 am Reply with quote
I love The Cat Who Walked By Herself. And Vinni Puh (very cute and captures the literary aspect of the books in a way that the Disney adaptations don't, though I don't dislike those or anything).

If anyone's interested, I've made a list called "Excellent Animated Feature Films" on the IMDb. The majority of the titles are american or japanese, but there are quite a few from other countries on there as well. Here's the list:

http://www.imdb.com/list/TS9pE0YRaDQ/
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I just read the article and somehow,I wouldn't be surprised if I find out that the South Koreans made a cartoon that had Superman and Golden Bat pounding the stuffing out of each other. But,the Koreans hiding the Japanese origins of some cartoons and banning a lot of Japanese media,is something I don't blame them for doing. The Koreans and the Japanese have rarely gotten along and the Japanese virtually had Korea as a colony for a long time. When "Astro Boy" and "Gigantor" first came to America,their Japanese origins were hidden as similarly as the Koreans did with some Japanese anime.

Tezuka still got some credit in Astro Boy if only under "Created & Animated by", but yes, those were trying times (don't forget the mentality we once had for Japan making cheap products).

Quote:
Some months ago,I ran into some stuff online about North Korean animation and it's as weird and strange as either South Korean or Japanese animation. Probably even more so. If you want to find out more,just search for "North Korean cartoons" or "North Korean animation" on your search browser. I read some stuff on it and I can tell you this,Mike Toole would have a field day with some of the North Korean stuff I found out about.

Much of it reminded me of pre-1960's animation out of Russia from Soyuzmultfilm.

Toole didn't mention Nelson Shin's masterpiece that was collaborated between the north and south called "Empress Chung", though I haven't much good things about it anyway.

RestlessOne wrote:
Count me in as another person who is a general animation fan rather than just an anime fan.

Most of us probably came in that way anyway.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the majority of the animation I've been exposed are from the US, Japan, Canada, and some European stuff (the UK, France, Germany and...I think that's it). It's especially difficult because there aren't any sites devoted to in-depth information on world-wide animation. It's easy to keep track of US stuff, ANN has most everything on the Japanese side, and Big Screen Animation tackles some foreign animated films being released in the US, but other than that...

Growing up in the 80's, cable TV once had tons of it on channels like Nickelodeon or the occasional artsy foreign short on HBO. There's always reading non-anime related trade publications like "Animation Magazine" which gave me a good idea of what else was out there, but there's also been books on the subject too.

I would recommend this book...
Cartoons: One Hundred Years of Cinema Animation by Giannalberto Bendazzi

[quoteY'know, it'd be really cool to have a website devoted solely to animation. From everywhere. Of course, it would be a huge task. Really huge.[/quote]
You can always go to "Cartoon Brew", that's a start.

Quote:
As for the article: In those days, a lot of countries were copying. It's really fun to see copyright-infringing films and comics and commercials.

Like those Turkish movies everyone talks about.
Sprocket

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
This thread's reminded me of the 2003 Big Apple Anime Fest's Korean animation panel. They had lots of Cubix merchandise to give away, of course, and plenty of trailers for Korean cartoons, most CGI, but what stood out for me was seeing a trailer for a cartoon adaptation of the manhwa 'Hip-Hop'. I'd flipped through a few books of it at my university's anime club, it's a fairly standard teenage competition comic.
TitanXL wrote:
Ki Hyun Ryu lives in America. But yes, his ethnicity is Korean, I suppose, but I don't think that counts to be honest.

He was the overseas animation director for the original pilot of 'Adventure Time'. I don't know if he had to go to Korea to do it though.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:

Tezuka still got some credit in Astro Boy if only under "Created & Animated by", but yes, those were trying times (don't forget the mentality we once had for Japan making cheap products).

During the time I was a kid (1960's), my impression was that goods from Japan were perceived in much the same way as goods from China are now.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
You really had to be in the know to find out.

I wasn't one of them I guess, but then again, this does kind of remind me of those really awful giant movie monster posters they made back then for Gojira in other countries. On the other hand, bad design and blatant copying can be two entirely different mediums.

EireformContinent wrote:
Everyone did- from movies and books to technologies. I still have working clone of Nintendo Famicom made in Taiwan with lots of games produced in USSR.

Everyone huh?

Speaking of North Korean animations, anyone ever see this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNR4kR1uC-w&list=FLN2oGASYesvWhUeElvnLHeg&index=165&feature=plpp_video
silentjay

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
It's "manhwa", not "manwha" (twice in the column).

In fairness, there's a lot of genuine "man wha?" in the article. Smile

Ahem, anyways... I've been trying to track some of the knock offs for years now, ever since Mike pointed them out back in the Anime Jump days, but to no avail.
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
The Tron one is [expletive] hillarious. It's called Defender of The Space or something,and it opens with a warning that it's not to be shown for profit at movie theaters, libraries, schools, or OFF SHORE OIL DERRICKS. I swear to God it says that. The hero kills the villian by throwing his Tron frisbee at a TV screen the villian is being shown on. Really.
The Inferno one was fairly funny, too. These used to be at Walmart for a buck a piece in wierd little slimline cases. I bought like 10 of them, but I think I gave them away after watching them, it wasn't the kind of thing you rewatch like Star Wars. :l
NotintheMood

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
I love The Cat Who Walked By Herself. And Vinni Puh (very cute and captures the literary aspect of the books in a way that the Disney adaptations don't, though I don't dislike those or anything).

If anyone's interested, I've made a list called "Excellent Animated Feature Films" on the IMDb. The majority of the titles are american or japanese, but there are quite a few from other countries on there as well. Here's the list:

I've been getting into Soyuzmultfilm lately! I adore some of the risks that they have been taking with animation for years. It's amazing how modern some of it looks. But I am bummed that after that fiasco with Films by Jove is hard to imagine another company legally licencing some of these works.

ETA: and how cute is 'cloud bread' that link was adorable
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:

Oh my gosh, this has totally tickled my GoodFilms! lust.

Well, it is true then -- when there's crap to go through there is so much crap, and when there is good stuff there's just so much good stuff to look for.

In other words: thank you for the list!
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Ki Hyun Ryu lives in America. But yes, his ethnicity is Korean, I suppose, but I don't think that counts to be honest.

He was the overseas animation director for the original pilot of 'Adventure Time'. I don't know if he had to go to Korea to do it though.[/quote]
Given what role an 'Overseas Animation Director" has, often that is the case if they are sent overseas to oversee the production for the guys back home (usually these guys are pretty unsung in animation circles but they do have quite an important job to do anyway).

TheAncientOne wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:

During the time I was a kid (1960's), my impression was that goods from Japan were perceived in much the same way as goods from China are now.

That's true, certainly one that takes a while for the image to change our perception of these countries (much like the way I felt about Korea too seeing their development over the years, a lot of their work back in the 80's could be seen as growing pains perhaps).

belvadeer wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:
You really had to be in the know to find out.

I wasn't one of them I guess, but then again, this does kind of remind me of those really awful giant movie monster posters they made back then for Gojira in other countries. On the other hand, bad design and blatant copying can be two entirely different mediums.

Certainly (reminded myself of the "Godzilla vs. Megalon" poster were they're fighting atop the former WTC in NY, even though that wasn't in the film to begin with).

Quote:
EireformContinent wrote:
Everyone did- from movies and books to technologies. I still have working clone of Nintendo Famicom made in Taiwan with lots of games produced in USSR.

Everyone huh?

A good example might be Brazil where Nintendo never got much a foot in the door in time before the pirates flooded that market with famiclones of all sorts (and often carts either in 60 or 72-pin configurations so it was very confusing there I'm sure).

Quote:

That was one of many episodes in a long-running series that started way back in 1977 called "Squirrel & Hedgehog", I haven't seen the latest episodes, but it's quite an interesting series to watch if only to spot what 'countries' these animals represent.

Here's a more recent episode...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS7Bje410D4

Kidnicky wrote:
The Tron one is [expletive] hillarious. It's called Defender of The Space or something,and it opens with a warning that it's not to be shown for profit at movie theaters, libraries, schools, or OFF SHORE OIL DERRICKS. I swear to God it says that.

No different from Malaysian VCD's I use to pick up a decade ago (again, you had to get it in first and then you know why they put those warnings in).

Quote:
The hero kills the villian by throwing his Tron frisbee at a TV screen the villian is being shown on. Really.

This guy had a better grasp of what he felt the film was about (I see it won a Telly Award last year)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TqKyMXn9B4

Quote:
The Inferno one was fairly funny, too. These used to be at Walmart for a buck a piece in wierd little slimline cases. I bought like 10 of them, but I think I gave them away after watching them, it wasn't the kind of thing you rewatch like Star Wars. :l

Actually the Tron flick was called "Savior of the Earth" for it's English release. Many of these dubs were somehow handled by Onmi Productions I've heard, whatever it was, it was all distributed by HK producer Joseph Lai through one of his in-name companies I don't care to memorize (the one with the Godfrey Ho "Ninja" flicks).

NotintheMood wrote:
I've been getting into Soyuzmultfilm lately! I adore some of the risks that they have been taking with animation for years. It's amazing how modern some of it looks. But I am bummed that after that fiasco with Films by Jove is hard to imagine another company legally licencing some of these works.

Especially when the owners of said library doesn't give a damn with giving them a proper platform or treatment they deserve since all they care about is running a kiddie channel back home.
Kirben

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
It is HUGE task take to bring a world-wide animation website.

The Chronology of Animation web site provides a very useful list of animation produced worldwide, listed year by year. Clips and trailers can often be found online via YouTube or elsewhere, once the titles are known.

It can be difficult to track down Blu-Ray or DVD releases with English subtitles though. I often find English releases in countries, outside of where the actual animation was produced.

There was a Chinese Animation DVD Collection showing older animated movies/shorts produced in China, for people interested in Chinese animation. Although the video quality isn't the best, and the English subtitles could really use improvements (but are still understandable).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Sprocket wrote:
He was the overseas animation director for the original pilot of 'Adventure Time'. I don't know if he had to go to Korea to do it though.

Like StudioToledo said, it's not uncommon for companies to do that so they can keep the animators in line and answer any questions or whatever they might have while working on it; otherwise you're just sending them the storyboards with a note of instructions and hoping everything turns out alright in a few months

Also, speaking of hilarious rip offs.. I think Brazil's got some of the best. The best part is they're dubbed by 4Kids' VAs, which adds loads of bonus cheesiness to them.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
UtenaAnthy wrote:

Oh my gosh, this has totally tickled my GoodFilms! lust.

Well, it is true then -- when there's crap to go through there is so much crap, and when there is good stuff there's just so much good stuff to look for.

In other words: thank you for the list!

You're welcome! I'm realising that I've barely watched any animated films for a while, I think I'll try and watch 7 in the next 7 days to get caught up a bit (the last thing was a rewatch of Atlantis: The Lost Empire, which is decently entertaining but far from amazing as a whole, part of the reason I bothered to watch it in the first place was the fact that Joss Whedon has a story credit, I bought it for £1.99 in a charity shop, it was good enough that I bought it again so I could get the original aspect ratio version, secondhand and discounted as well, but it's a little slight. I give it 7/10).
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Sprocket wrote:

Like StudioToledo said, it's not uncommon for companies to do that so they can keep the animators in line and answer any questions or whatever they might have while working on it; otherwise you're just sending them the storyboards with a note of instructions and hoping everything turns out alright in a few months

Which I'm sure is pretty much starting to be the standard these days (most studios have stopped having an in-house staff for simply doing layout sketches that would be used for the key animation).

Here's what I was saying earlier about Brazil and the unlicensed NES clones they've had.
http://www.neswarpzone.com/brazilnesmarket.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05ewuUYfSaU
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
If you make a topic like this in most anime sites, it would have devolved into racist anti Korean nonsense. Pretty cool that ANN is cool about this.

As for North Korean animation, the sad part is that it is cut off from the rest of the world, much like everything from that nation.

Also, it is pretty funny that the staunch Japanophile types barely seems to realize a ton of anime are drawn overseas today as well. Noticeably so from Vietnam and Indonesia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4