• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Sci Fi Channel to Run Rave Master Fantasy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
I suppose you've a better suggestion?

You're kidding, right? I could give you a hundred without breaking a sweat. There've been some good ones in this very thread even. I'm no dub hater either, in fact the exact opposite if anything, but Rave Master's dub is pretty bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:

I think Terra E, Planetes, Vandread, Kiddy Grade, Fantastic Children, or any number of other shows could have worked better.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:

I think Terra E, Planetes, Vandread, Kiddy Grade, Fantastic Children, or any number of other shows could have worked better.

almost all of those are licensed by other networks.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Kinda odd really. I wonder if it was contractual or someone at Sci-Fi has no idea what the show is about. I'd really prefer if they just kept showing older shows, OVAs, and movies, like they did back in the day. And for them to be repeating Gurren Lagann already either speaks of being out of other shows, or Bandai wants to sell more DVDs.

Oh, and I believe they're re-showing Macross Plus again tonight.

I don't understand how people STILL don't understand how Ani-Monday works. Ani-Monday is a leased time-slot. It's a two-hour block that is essentially owned by Manga Entertainment, and it is programmed by Manga. Think along the lines of how infomercials work, or how some movies buy time on Adult Swim to get showcased in bumps and things like that. Just it's two hours long. Or, alternatively, how FUNimation has bought programming blocks on other networks in the past. Or how 4Kids owned Fox's Saturday morning block.

So it's not Sci Fi who is really deciding what shows go on or not. Manga is entering into agreements with other licensors (mainly Bandai) and allowing them to use their leased television time to get exposure, especially since Manga is more or less out of shows they themselves own that haven't been aired.

Why the hell they got Rave Master, however, is beyond me. Very Happy
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:

almost all of those are licensed by other networks.
Really? I figured the FUNi shows (Vandread and Kiddy Grade) might be on the FUNi channel, but what channel has the Bandai shows?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Kinda odd really. I wonder if it was contractual or someone at Sci-Fi has no idea what the show is about. I'd really prefer if they just kept showing older shows, OVAs, and movies, like they did back in the day. And for them to be repeating Gurren Lagann already either speaks of being out of other shows, or Bandai wants to sell more DVDs.

I don't understand how people STILL don't understand how Ani-Monday works. Ani-Monday is a leased time-slot. It's a two-hour block that is essentially owned by Manga Entertainment, and it is programmed by Manga. Think along the lines of how infomercials work, or how some movies buy time on Adult Swim to get showcased in bumps and things like that. Just it's two hours long. Or, alternatively, how FUNimation has bought programming blocks on other networks in the past. Or how 4Kids owned Fox's Saturday morning block.

So it's not Sci Fi who is really deciding what shows go on or not. Manga is entering into agreements with other licensors (mainly Bandai) and allowing them to use their leased television time to get exposure, especially since Manga is more or less out of shows they themselves own that haven't been aired.

Why the hell they got Rave Master, however, is beyond me. Very Happy

It was probably cheap. And it's a lot longer than most of the shows they have aired so far... then any that I know of, actually, so it should help reduce some of the constant repeats.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If Sci-Fi is going to play old programs, they might as well play old Gundam programs. Why not get ahold of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, which CN never gave a full airing? Or Zeta Gundam, though the dub is almost unbearable. Make Sci-Fi the place to watch Gundam and succeed where CN failed.

It helps not airing it at 1:00 am like CN did SEED.
I think Gundam will go well on SciFi. Maybe it will get a cult following on that channel.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Wow. Can't say I'm particularly excited about anything they plan on showing in the future like I was about Gurren Lagann and Gundam 00... *sigh* Oh well.

Oooh, that'd be fun if they showed other Gundam series... I'm late on the Gundam-scene, and I'd love to see some of the older series. Probably never gonna happen on Sci-Fi, but a girl can dream.
Crystal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
What's the point of showing an edited dub?
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
to nebs and megiddo, I'm sure a lot of people posting here could make better suggestions but what's the point in getting upset about something that's out of the hands of the fans and in control of the network, I honestly am not too happy about sci fi airing rave master but hey atleast sci fi hasn't pulled anything like [AS] with anime
joshuafer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
Currently I am reading the rave master manga. I also bought the few DVD's that were released of the anime, I will be glad to watch the anime, when it airs. Even though the channel is called sci fi, they do a lot of fantasy stuff too, so i think rave master fits ok. I will be looking forward to it.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:47 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
Ryusui wrote:
Let me say what's undoubtedly on everybody's minds right now:

WHAT. THE. HELL?!?

Lemme get this straight. They're taking off Gundam 00 after the first season to show Tokyopop's crappy hackjob dub of Groove Adventure Rave?!? What next? 4Kids' One Piece?
And you can't?! Hell, there were better things off of Toonami's own libary that would do well on AniMon.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:42 am Reply with quote
Yay! Maybe now I can see the two episodes that I missed when it first ran on Cartoon Network. From the previews, I remember that one was about Plue deflating or something, and the other was when they first met that bear guy. Yippee! I also get to see episodes 3 and 4 of Gurren Lagann , which I missed the first time around. Now if only they would repeat Now and Then, Here and There so that I can see the third and fourth episodes of that series, which I missed as well.

Oh, repeats! Gotta love 'em. Although I must agree that Rave Master is a totally unexpected acquisition. Maybe someone out there likes the Big Butt Bandits.... Laughing
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:36 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:

Kiddy Grade is on the Funimation Channel but anyways back on topic i still have my vhs recordable tapes i recorded back when Rave Master was on Toonami and ill be glad to watch them all over again on tv.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

If you check the info,Macross Plus is a 4 part OVA so the're not reshowing it again.

ALso was kinda susprised.Though they would go straight into season 2 just like what AS did with code geass,and i'm kina interested.Maybe since it's on midnight,it'll mean that the series might be redubbed instead of showing the edited versions.Doesn't that make more sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6