• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Meet Vic Mignogna - Voice of Fullmetal Alchemists's Edward Elric - in Person

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm not upset about getting the tone set right. It's the mixture of the parts of the word that gets to me. If you're into the medium, especially people like us, would know about the place and know to an extent of how to pronounce. You just don't get the word mixed up.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Language naturally drifts over time because mispronunciation is perfectly natural and something that probably 99% of humans do with one word or another (hence the prior reference about "alumni" being pronounced with a long i sound). I don't care who you are, there is something that you aren't pronouncing correctly particularly if you come from certain areas. This is true for native speakers, so it's even more true when language barriers are crossed.

If we go even further to picking on language in general there is no way that I believe anyone here has perfect grammar or perfect spelling (even the opening post about pronunciation had the very common misspelling "mispronounciation").

I understand saying Vic has poor delivery or that is acting is not effective towards conveying a character. I think that is partly subjective, but I wouldn't call it elitist to judge him on that since that is his job. But going after the guy for language errors that everyone makes in some form or fashion is more than a bit silly.

I do understand why people dislike hearing a word that wasn't said in a correct way. I don't like hearing "nuke-you-ler" for nuclear, for example. I just think it's not right to dislike someone because of this sort of thing.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Language naturally drifts over time because mispronunciation is perfectly natural and something that probably 99% of humans do with one word or another (hence the prior reference about "alumni" being pronounced with a long i sound). I don't care who you are, there is something that you aren't pronouncing correctly particularly if you come from certain areas. This is true for native speakers, so it's even more true when language barriers are crossed.

If we go even further to picking on language in general there is no way that I believe anyone here has perfect grammar or perfect spelling (even the opening post about pronunciation had the very common misspelling "mispronounciation").

I understand saying Vic has poor delivery or that is acting is not effective towards conveying a character. I think that is partly subjective, but I wouldn't call it elitist to judge him on that since that is his job. But going after the guy for language errors that everyone makes in some form or fashion is more than a bit silly.

I do understand why people dislike hearing a word that wasn't said in a correct way. I don't like hearing "nuke-you-ler" for nuclear, for example. I just think it's not right to dislike someone because of this sort of thing.

I agree.

On a side note, anyone who says Vic can always be recognized should listen to episode 17 of Princess Tutu in English. Very Happy
Malgarth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
For anyone who was questioning the credibility of this release, I assure you that it is completely legit. Very Happy Got my tickets in hand! And the lady taking the reservations was super nice. Anime smile I mentioned to her about the typos in the press release when I called back with a question and she told me that the club sponsoring it did not write it, but it was, in fact, written by someone in the university's publicity or events office or something like that, that had no knowledge of the field. She assured me that she was going to have the errors corrected before anything else went to print. Very Happy Overall, really nice people and an exciting event! Regardless of whether he pronounced something wrong or not (people do it ALL the time, and in their OWN languages) I'm pumped! Very Happy
geowrian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:46 am Reply with quote
Malgarth wrote:
For anyone who was questioning the credibility of this release, I assure you that it is completely legit. Very Happy Got my tickets in hand! And the lady taking the reservations was super nice. Anime smile I mentioned to her about the typos in the press release when I called back with a question and she told me that the club sponsoring it did not write it, but it was, in fact, written by someone in the university's publicity or events office or something like that, that had no knowledge of the field. She assured me that she was going to have the errors corrected before anything else went to print. Very Happy Overall, really nice people and an exciting event! Regardless of whether he pronounced something wrong or not (people do it ALL the time, and in their OWN languages) I'm pumped! Very Happy

It's very legit. I assist the people that are helping host the event (SAGE) the website. I know the people involved...

Malgarth, aka Ang, works in the office that is selling the tickets and promoting the event. She is also working very closely with the setup of the events. I greatly appreciate your hard work. While I won't be attending, I hope it does really well.

However...

You said, "This project is mine" and you are working directly with the setup, promotion, and sales of the event while trying to give the impression on the message board that you are not involved. It's fine that you are involved and promoting the event, but please be upfront about it. While you never stated your involvement, it's highly relevant to the discussion, especially when giving opinions. Stating your association with the production would be helpful as people would further legitimize the PR (some random member from a message board isn't where I would place my trust) and have somebody they can contact directly with questions, if you so choose.
Malgarth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Umm......what? Question Question Question

If people are looking for info, they can call the number like I did.
geowrian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Malgarth wrote:
Umm......what? Question Question Question

If people are looking for info, they can call the number like I did.

Riiiight...Matt told me. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3