• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Furtype #1 in Print

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on whether you think geekdom is hip these days) fall into 4 of that chart's categories: "anime fans who insist on subtitles", "video gamers", "roleplaying gamers" (though not in the past couple of months, since my friends and I can't decide who is doing the next campaign or when we have time to do it), and "amateur SF/fantasy artists" (and I stress the word amateur; it's mostly bad manga). Oh, and if you consider playing the highly-rated Pokemon games (which are fun RPGs if you look past the hatred and bias of the fad and not try to claim them as "the greatest games EVAR like the little kids will claim, along with DBZ being a good show) as "Pokemon fans over the age of six", then that makes five categories.

Hm...but according to this chart, as a video gamer, I hate myself as a roleplaying gamer...interesting...

Oh, and back on topic, even mentioning furries scare me. Catgirls: yes. Anime smile Anthromorphic cats: no way. Anime hyper
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:39 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Bernal's stuff is pretty and "professional." That, and why did you have to get his stuff from Sexy Fur? (Not that i'm complaining.
Very Happy )
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:43 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

What's the difference between someone who likes to dress up as a cat, and someone who likes to dress up as Digi Charat?

One looks pretty, one looks....uh. *blank stare*
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Bernal's stuff is pretty and "professional." That, and why did you have to get his stuff from Sexy Fur? (Not that i'm complaining.
Very Happy )

If you had read below those links, you would have seen that my user name us danball1976 at that forum. THose links are from a moderator at that forum, and his user name is Geeky1. Take a look at the rest of the thread. I originally started it, the thread is mainly an anime babe thread.

Hmmm... I looked at that site. I wasn't aware that the website was more than just those photos Embarassed Not only that, the site is a pay site, I'm not willing to pay $11 a month to view some of those R and NC17 rated pictures
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:
How utterly disgusting...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:18 pm Reply with quote
furry is the reason I dont visit /b on fridays
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
JustJon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I've known some furries and I just find that whole scene disturbing.

But the thing that I dont get from the furtype website:
Quote:
Hi. This is the homepage for Furtype, an anthropomorphic/anime magazine. This is a non-profit furry fanzine for otaku, and an anime fanzine for furries.
They are non-profit? I'm really curious how they got established as a not-for-profit organization, being publishers of fanzines and comics. Or do they just mean that they expect to lose money and go bankrupt?

Quote:
Furtype is printed tri-annually through Purrsia Press.
But it's ok, they only put out one issue every three years.

Wow. awful and stupid.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:18 pm Reply with quote
No, tri-annually means three times a year.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:22 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Hmmm... I looked at that site. I wasn't aware that the website was more than just those photos Embarassed Not only that, the site is a pay site, I'm not willing to pay $11 a month to view some of those R and NC17 rated pictures

I mentioned it by name, not linked!! Let the record reflect this Exclamation

Besides kusanagi-sama, your avatar is Sasha, one of Jeremy Bernal's more "recognizeable" characters.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:56 pm Reply with quote
LOL, I only search for the website using his name. I also copied the avatar from the person who is using it at Short-Media.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:39 am Reply with quote
Anyone else watch Zoobilee Zoo as a kid? Anime smile + sweatdrop Some educational furries right there. :p

Sooo, who's up for a game of Bloody Roar? Mr. Green

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:45 am Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:
How utterly disgusting...

Paging Somethingawful.com
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:42 am Reply with quote
I've never actually met any furries, so I don't really have much of an opinion on them. But the more pathetic ones that I've found over the Internet are always worth a laugh.

Anyways...has anyone really stayed at the Furtype and Purrsia websites long enough to actually read them? It hurts just as bad as the art. Here's a description of the plot and one of the characters for a (I'm assuming) one-shot comic they published:

"A sterotypical bad guy tries to take over the world, while a trio of inept wannabe heroes set out to stop him."
"BECCA-Your average anime chick who's doped up on sugar and part times as a magical girl."

Or how about:
KIRIKO-An adventuring martial artist whose looking for 3 magical toasters.
MAYO-Another funloving traveller who just wants some chocolate.

This is some serious Let's Make Keenspace Look Competent territory here. Some of these titles almost have the potential to be the Shaggs of the small-press furry comic world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hi. This is the homepage for Furtype, an anthropomorphic/anime magazine. This is a non-profit furry fanzine for otaku, and an anime fanzine for furries.
JustJon wrote:
They are non-profit? I'm really curious how they got established as a not-for-profit organization, being publishers of fanzines and comics. Or do they just mean that they expect to lose money and go bankrupt?

Nah, not-profit means their goal isn't to turn a profit, and they don't take any sort of dividends.

There's a difference between a company that says they are non-profit and a gorvernment registered NFP. Any group can say "we're non-profit", but government registered NFPs have guidelines to follow and need to prove that any fiscal surplus isn't being turned into profit (dividends).

As a result, if they aren't a registered NFP, there's really no backup to their claim of being non-profit. Its up to you to decide whether you trust them or not.

I highly doubt Fur-type is a registered NFP.

-t
Metal Shark Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:24 am Reply with quote
Yiff=wrong.
I dunno but too many of the comics they publish look scary. Also if they're trying to be professional they're failing miserably because the website sure turned me off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8