• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ever been stopped from buying a manga before?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Metal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I never knew that you could actually be stopped from buying comic books...
h2326q

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:03 am Reply with quote
I got into manga and anime when I was 17 so it has never been a problem.
TheKuchisakeOnna

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
well not many cashires gave me a hard time but my mom used to be strict on age rattings when i was alot yonger . and you do not want to know how hard it is to find ALL or E ratted manga -.- . but now they let me read almost any thing . most of the time my mom / dad are the ones that step up to the cashire to buy the manga when i stay in back . then only 16 + manga/light novels I've read are

inubaka

ima doki ( nowdays )

harui light novel

and wolfs rain ( i think thats 16 +)

i haven't been abel to buy 16+ manga for long so i haven't read much of em yet Razz

Last edited by TheKuchisakeOnna on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Never been stopped by a cashier due to my age, though I have had a couple times where other customers in the store have tried to stop me from buying something before.

Once in a Chapters in Vancouver where I was picking up the first 3 volumes of DNAngel, a guy who was looking through the manga down the aisle with 4 volumes of various generic, Shounen manga tucked under his arm came over to me and decided he needed to lecture me on how that's a girls manga and how shojo is marketed towards girls and how it's for girls for a reason because guys read Hellsing and Narutoz! Literally managed to finish the latest "All Hail Megatron" before he finished.

Other time was in another Chapters in Victoria, I shop a lot at Chapters, something about manga and coffee that appeals to me. Anyway I have a tendency to pick up random Shounen series every once in a while, the most generic and poorly written ones. It's a guilty pleasure. That time I got berated by a goth girl and her boy toy (she actually had him on one of those dollar store chains attached to her bracelet) because they wanted to do me a public service and let me know that only "posers" read shounen, it's the industry's way to let real fans know who's actually a fan and who's just trying to look cool. Probably didn't help that they were picking up "Record of a Fallen Vampire" at the time. So I laughed at them and bought 2 more volumes of Kenshin out of spite.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and you do not want to know how hard it is to find ALL or E ratted manga -.-

Oh, don't worry, I know. Most of the popular series are rated either 13+ or 16+ and that's what they put on the shelves in stores. I know CMX had several (very good!) E-rated titles, but those rarely sell well enough to put on the shelves. Also, I noticed some publishers tend to give manga a higher rating to stay on the safe side. If I recall correctly Azumanga Daioh and Kitchen Princess are rated 13+. And then there is M-rated The Drifting Classroom, which originally ran in Shounen Sunday, the magazine now know for series such as Inu Yasha and Kekkaishi.
TheKuchisakeOnna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Oh, don't worry, I know. Most of the popular series are rated either 13+ or 16+ and that's what they put on the shelves in stores. I know CMX had several (very good!) E-rated titles, but those rarely sell well enough to put on the shelves. Also, I noticed some publishers tend to give manga a higher rating to stay on the safe side. If I recall correctly Azumanga Daioh and Kitchen Princess are rated 13+.

i luv azumanga dahio! ^-^ it was my first 13+ manga . but the only reason its ratted 13 + is cus in the first volume they siad Sh*t twice . its kinda funny but when i was only allowed to read ALL or
E ratted manga all the manga i wanted to get were all T ratted . then when i was only allowed to buy T ratted manga all the manga that i wanted to get were 16+! lol Anime hyper . and i have read some good ALL ratted manga too like yotsuba&! but saddly ADV stopped publishing it due to money problems Sad
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote
Don't worry about Yotsuba, YenPress picked it up. In fact, the sixth volume is scheduled for this month. They're also going to re-release the older volumes.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Don't worry about Yotsuba, YenPress picked it up. In fact, the sixth volume is scheduled for this month. They're also going to re-release the older volumes.

Yep, I just ordered vol. 1 and 6 from Bookdepository last week.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
In the town I'm currently living, no. I started reading manga around 6th or 7th grade, but even then I managed to get some OT rated stuff. I guess 'cause I was with my parents, but other times I believe I'd been alone. I never really thought too much about it because of that, though I knew it was possible. I look older than my actual age, too, so that could be a factor.

It was when I was visiting a small town in the middle of nowhere when I actually was asked my age. I was trying to buy Dogs, vol. 0, and they told me it was mature and I needed identification. Not being 18, I just asked my dad (he was waiting outside the store in the mall) to come in and they allowed me to buy it.

Last edited by RestLessone on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigheart711

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I've never been stopped from buying a manga at all. I remember buying Life volume 2 (with the Parental Advisory label, even though it gets an M rating 4 volumes later), The Goth Manga and a volume of Battle Vixens all without getting stopped. It's because I look about two years older than my actual age.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I apparently look a lot younger than I actually am because I get stopped a lot. The people at my borders have stopped me.

I was buying Loveless 3 and The Big Adventures of Majoko 1. Well maybe the second title having the kids stamp on the side triggered a response from the cashier. She asks for some identification and I don't drive because I have the worst hand eye cordination ever. So I hand her my school ID that says class of 2010 figuring she will stop hassling me since I am a senior in high school. Loveless' age rating is 16 plus and I don't know any seniors who aren't 16. I was 17 at the time and I argued with the cashier for like five minutes until another cashier told her to just check me out.

Another more humorus time was one of the kids I sort of know from school trying to stop me from buying Tokyo Mew Mew: A La Mode. He claimed I couldn't be ten so he couldn't sell this to me. We laughed so hard. Laughing
Facesforce

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
So no one ever got stopped out of a store clerk's beliefs? I was in a town by the name of Little Rock up in Wyoming or so, when I dropped into a Books-a-Million. I picked up a couple of copies of hellsing, due to my own copies being ruined, when the clerk started to go on and on about it was so "vile" and "anti-sabbatical" of me to "order such a vicious display of paganism" today. I had to get the manager to checkout my books and to calm down the female clerk. I was really shocked to see such a display. Anyone else have this experience?
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Facesforce wrote:
So no one ever got stopped out of a store clerk's beliefs? I was in a town by the name of Little Rock up in Wyoming or so, when I dropped into a Books-a-Million. I picked up a couple of copies of hellsing, due to my own copies being ruined, when the clerk started to go on and on about it was so "vile" and "anti-sabbatical" of me to "order such a vicious display of paganism" today. I had to get the manager to checkout my books and to calm down the female clerk. I was really shocked to see such a display. Anyone else have this experience?

Yes, quite often actually. My town's in the middle of my area's "Bible Belt" so we have a strong christian community. One of the clerks at the book store in our mall is especially bad when it comes to this. Worst part is it's not Hellsing or Inu Yasha or any of the other mainstays that she has a problem with it's Shaman King. As far as she's concerned manga targeted towards an older audience (anything with the little Older Teen sticker on it) is still horrible but not as bad as people who read it are old enough to decide for themselves. Shaman King however, and these are her exact word "blatantly markets paganism, and hedonism towards an impressionable young audience who doesn't know any better." She's been fired or at least hasn't worked while I've been in for about 2 weeks now but there was a point she wouldn't let a mother purchase a volume for her twelve year old child. I'm all for having your religious beliefs and whatever but don't force them on other people.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I have almost been stopped at check out at a B&N

I was on my yearly holiday book buying trip. It was X-mas eve I hoped to go get some stuff to buy for my self as I had already gotten my holiday money from family and friends. (I don't par take in X-mas by the way) So I go by my list I had made earlier. Two big titles on my list where Negima! and TMoHS (manga).

Ok I can understand wanting to stop me. I did end up buying 5 volumes of Negima. The rating is 16+ for the fanservice. TMoHS is rated older teen to.

I also had some SJ titles which where rated younger teen. So they though I was like 12 or something/

It was a good thing my mom was next to me at the time, they where going to ask for my school id to get a age on me. Which I didn't have on me because I was on winter break and holiday shopping.
tyciol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, one time I was going to buy a lot of manga but my debit card wouldn't pay so I left it on the counter and ran 10 minutes to the nearest bank with an ATM to get cash and ran back and bought it all and then halfway home it started to rain so I tried my best to cover the manga in a plastic bag and arch my back over top of it.

But for age restrictions? Nah, by the time I started buying manga instead of reading fanlations on the internet or those purchased by the public library I was already over 18 or whatever the highest respective limitation is.

I wonder if they'll stop us from buying manga if we're too old?

Or more likely, they will stop from ordering some genres with characters who are too young.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4