• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are some anime cliches based on real life?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
That ones easy, as if it's the middle finger, well at least here,, it's an easy way to hide flipping someone off. Although I don't know if Japan as the same hand gesture for an insult (which varies depending which hand you use, I know that one is figurative and the other is literal)

Or it could be that it is really comfortable to do so, although I find it more natural to push up my glasses with my pointer-finger, but then again that's just me. So it maybe a cultural thing, much like how a person starts counting with their hands, I start with my pointer-finger but in some areas they start with the thumb or pinkie finger.
arachneia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
But it's also the prevalence of the adjustment in the first place. I never see people in real life fix their glasses with such frequency.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
Again most if not all anime stories are exaggerated in someway, either for comedic or dramatic effect.

Much like watching Best Student Council That while yes it is possible to lose your glasses by being hit (I should know as a person who wears glasses, although I will say that what it took to knock them off also really hurt.) It happens but not that often so it was for comedic effect.

For Drama it can be to show seriousness or nervousness, again with a "dramatic" effect. So back to the example of a character getting a cold in the rain, anime series don't have the time to show the 2+ hours that it would take for your immune system to be weakened by being cold and wet, so they speed it up.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote
arachneia wrote:
But it's also the prevalence of the adjustment in the first place. I never see people in real life fix their glasses with such frequency.

Speaking as someone who wears glasses, it's not that they do it more often than real life, but that they do it more noticeably. Even when your glasses are resting properly, there's often a little space to push them up, even if they come back down to where they just were.
Showsni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote
I push mine up quite a bit. And you use the middle finger because it's the longest, and in the middle.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
I wear glasses myself, and I push them up all the time (with my middle finger to boot), even though they don't really slip much at all. I never really notice myself doing it, either; it becomes something subconscious, to the point where I'll sometimes find myself trying to do it after I've taken my glasses off. Very Happy
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I saw Watchmen last night, and I noticed that Nite Owl 2 polishes/wipes his glasses rather than push them up. Then I realised that every single instance of pushing the glasses up that I can remember happened in an Anime. All of the instances of polishing glasses with a sleeve or rag either happened in an American movie or an American comic book.

So basically it is cultural. People wanting to fiddle with their glasses is a universal phenomenon (assuming you have glasses), but the way they do so can vary.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
arachneia wrote:
I always wonder about the whole pushing-my-glasses-up-with-my-middle-finger deal.

Remember that in Japan the "rude" finger is (typical of Japanese subtlety) the little one, not the middle one.

(Which sort of links up with the reference to Watchmen, which I saw last night, and Dr Manhattan's "blue wand", which elicited much giggling from the back of the theatre.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3