• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jump Superstars Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to bring this up again, but I found screenshots and wanted to share.

Although they're fairly blurry...
Laruto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Maybe an American version of the game can come out here, and only have characters from US Shonen Jump. Couldn't all the companies that own the rights to publish games based on certain series simply license the characters for this game or something?

Just using US Shonen Jump characters would still be difficult. Look at it this way, if the game only used DBZ, One Piece, and Naruto, your looking at Nintendo, Viz, FUNimation, 4Kids, and Atari all needing to agree. Add more titles to the mix and you're spreading things even further. Add Fist of the North Star like people have suggested and both Gutsoon! and Manga Ent. would have to be included. Add Houshin Engi and ADV would need to be involved. Add Ultimate Muscle and Bandai would want part of this as well. It's an ugly scene with no way of getting all of these companies to work together on a single license. If Nintendo was really being smart about this they'd make an English mode for the game as sort of an incentive to get people to atleast import it.

Emerje

First off I don't think it would be that difficult for the game to be made here, considering the relationship most of these companies share 4Kids is the key agents of One Piece, Shaman King and Ultimate Muscle(Not bandai)4Kids call the shots! Funimation has FMA,Yu Yu and DBZ and 4kids and them are close like two peas in a pod, While theres Viz who has Inu Yasha which also has a good working relation with 4kids with their pokemon releases, and Shonen Jump, While with funimation its just Shonen Jump. The only characters left or series that would delay the game would be Naruto,Bobo~boBo~bobobo and Bleach that has to get Licenced by a company this year which will be cool, I wouldn't be surprise if they're already discussing it. By the way the only thing now that would happen is that the companies would have to either chose one of the cmpany gamers to publish the game or let all three, Konami, Bandai and Atari get in on it!
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:52 am Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
By the way the only thing now that would happen is that the companies would have to either chose one of the cmpany gamers to publish the game or let all three, Konami, Bandai and Atari get in on it!

If it was as easy as this then it would still be a huge problem. Each company has the exclusive game rights to characters in the Jump game. Letting Bandai publish a game with DBZ characters in it isn't going to fly with Atari who has the exclusive rights to all DB video games. Contracts are signed for a reason, FUNi can't just let Bandai release a DBZ game, Atari would sue FUNi. It's why Marvel keeps getting dragged into courts by different film studios due to violations steming from their own comic book movie properties. Just because you own a property doesn't mean you can do with it as you please. One company sorting this type of stuff out is hard enough, throw in a few more and it's nearly impossible. So many different companies would be taking a cut from this that no one company is going to be able to make a profit off of this game and in the end it wouldn't be worth anyones' effort.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Bringing back this topic just to mention that Shaman King has been added to the mix.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
spider-moose

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:41 pm Reply with quote
damn I can't wait for this game Smile

I wonder who else will be in the game?

Mazinger Z? he was a shonen jump title back in the hayday hehe
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3