• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Moe Monday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Bamboo wrote:
But these discs are burning a whole through my floor, so let's have at it, shall we?

Is this some sort of moé pun? Can someone explain.

No, it's a typo. ;p

Cavalcati wrote:
All that said, Bamboo does need to know that the two series are distinct, and not linked by plot (Thank god, because the first series was utterly, utterly horrible and deserves the kicking that it got.)

That was my bad. I changed the wording to reflect that.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Until recently, I had no clue what "loli" was (seen it referenced several times in reviews) and I can't simply accept the argument they are "just cartoons" when many people adapt real feelings over cartoon characters.

So what are you insinuating? I happen to think Kodomo no Jikan is an adorable show. Will this lead to me becoming an elementary school teacher in the hopes of setting up said show's scenario? Am I just some creep? Do you put me in the same little box as the sicko with a dog collar on house arrest and a sign in his yard letting parents know he was hitting on little boys in the park?

See, you don't have to like people's various quirks, lolicon included, but don't look at them as criminals if they're not.

Your argument is the same one used in the crusade against video games: FPS and Action games are breeding murderers and MMOs produce anti-social hermits, blah, blah, blah.... I just lopped a Pict's head off in Age of Conan. Will I adapt my proud feelings of doing so to reality? No.
marzipan.dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping 'Negima!' is enjoyable (since I just got it at a half-price sale) but Bamboo's reviews are usually spot-on for me.

BTW - I like the little torii gate and foxes on top of the super-organized shelves. Is that a maneki neko in the middle?
4nBlue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
I don't know why people rate Ken Akamatsu's works well. They're all awful and he's the story equivalent of Akira Toriyama; he did one thing and then whored it for decades to immense profit and praise. I don't know if people get can away with that kind of crap because the readers/watchers/players never get exposed to their full body of work (knowingly, I've seen plenty of people that have no idea Akira Toriyama does character design for Dragon Quest, among other games) or if people are so scared of getting something they hate that they'll put up with something ranging from lukewarm to terrible over and over again.

I believe you have yet to read Negima manga. For the last twenty volumes it has been shonen action, complete with tournaments and constant power-ups. Most of the chapter 248 was two half naked man cheerily beating the shit out of each other barehanded after they run out of flashy moves. Kind of hard to get farther from Love Hina.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
man, Negi takes a beating... rent em or borrow them and make up your own mind. It is the kind of manga/anime that is hard to recommend, becuase the way people react to it is always different. The Manga is an interesting animal, but at 21 vols. so far, it can be a bit much to find... It's story is quite different form either anime...

But? if you hate fanservice, you should just stay away from Akematsu's stuff. Don't bother, it will have some or a lot, so the rest of the story wont matter to you.

I liked both anime series pretty well, but for different reasons. I really like the artwork in Negima!? and the flow. But yes fanservice especially in the execution of the pactio contracts, is quite over the top. Think magical girl transformation with Negi pulling their pactio cards out of a magic orb attached to their bodies while they arch their backs and sigh.

There was none of that sort of service in Negima! but there were other things... just not as much. This series is a bit slower than the second one, but has a decidedly dark turn towards the end. a turn that doens't parrallel the Manga at all. A turn that'll rip your lungs out if you have any investment in the characters, which not everyone does. But. It isn't the end.

Lots of purists decry the differences, but I actually like them. Like hearing a story of the same situation told by 3 different people, each concentrates on something different. Obviously Akematsu's version is HIS story, but the Anime versions are other's interpretations of same. Stand or fall on their own.

Don't go ONLY on review. This is why it's good to rent. The first Negima! is a late bloomer. The second runs down toward the end, IMHO. and the Spring and Summer specials are uh... frenetic. But amusing.

There's a million things out there, and I will likely never watch Kanon or Air, just because there is so much. I like Akematsu's stuff because the storytelling struck some kind of cord. like anything YMMV.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
So what are you insinuating?

I'm not insinuating anything, just to be clear.

Quote:
Will this lead to me becoming an elementary school teacher in the hopes of setting up said show's scenario?

Only you can answer that, but I'd be very, very worried if it did.

Quote:
Am I just some creep?

No, you're not. And neither is anyone else who watches a show, regardless of content, and can keep fantasy from bleeding into reality.

Quote:
Do you put me in the same little box as the sicko with a dog collar on house arrest and a sign in his yard letting parents know he was hitting on little boys in the park?

I don't believe I classified any viewer into a demographic, regardless of their watching habits.

I simply made an observation regarding a cartoon and its explicit announcement to detail the character's age.

What you do with that information is your business.

Quote:
See, you don't have to like people's various quirks, lolicon included, but don't look at them as criminals if they're not.

Can you please reference any part of my post in which I deemed the characteristics of being a criminal to anyone. I'm at a loss here.

Quote:
Your argument is the same one used in the crusade against video games: FPS and Action games are breeding murderers and MMOs produce anti-social hermits, blah, blah, blah.... I just lopped a Pict's head off in Age of Conan. Will I adapt my proud feelings of doing so to reality? No.

Crusade? Argument against? Again, please clarify where I've said these things. I can't find it anywhere.

I'm pretty sure I kept my topic on point of relating emotions with a cartoon character, and how each of us determines the emotional response based on our thoughts.

And yes, the same thing can be said with video games, as well as music, TV shows, and books. Anything to which emotions and fiction combine to cause friction.

I couldn't care less what's given out in animation form, just to clarify. However, I do have a problem when the content clearly reminds me that what I'm watching is a panty shot of a 10 year old girl.

Notice I used the words I and ME in the statement above.

If an anime show can make me feel sad or happy, there's no reason to judge me because some of it can make me feel uncomfortable.

My feelings don't speak for anyone but myself, so please don't think I'm insinuating works which "insult" my feelings get banned, censored, or whatever.

Or worse, judge those that do watch it.

I'm just giving an observation on my point of view. Disagree to your heart's content. I won't think any less of you for it.
Smile
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
It's fortunate that I receive my next financial instalment before the end of this month, because I plan to grab both Kanon and Air boxsets. Together they'll be the single most expensive anime-related order I've placed thus far, but by Jove will it be worth it.

neocloud9 wrote:
But I love the supernatural elements in both.

When I first started watching Kanon, I had no idea it'd revolve around the supernatural. As the series progressed I discovered early perceptions has mislead me. The narrative was such that I wasn't deterred by it however; one learns about the characters gradually, so that by the time one comprehends the elements of fantasy ingrained within the story, one is already sporting an interest in the relationships an ongoing exposition. Moreover, the first genuine paranormal happening in the show culminates in perhaps the most prolonged and heartbreaking piece of television I've ever seen. spoiler[It involves foxes.]
(That said, I haven't watched Air in its entirety, so that may change.)
I should mention that other titles involving fantasy elements (chiefly Noein and Sola, but also Kurau: Phantom Memory to a lesser degree) seemed too abrupt with exposing the otherworldly natures of their respective storylines. In these cases I wasn't able to sustain an interest in spite of their supernatural themes. I resultantly dropped them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Given that he's from California, I'm guessing it's not THAT David Gibbons we're talking about here...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hotaru99

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
For the most part I agree with the Negima review. Not sure which is being discussed so to be broad, I'll talk about all of them, from the POV of someone who has gotten every volume of the manga day one and had them read by day two.

The first Anime adaptation was actually pretty good to me.. untill it diverged from the manga. Had it stayed closer, I would have liked it much more.

The second one is frankly just odd. I watched the first few episodes and felt like someone was trying to shoehorn Revolutionary Girl Utena's feelings of wierdness into Negima's storyline.. and it didn't work. The Spring/Summer OAVs were somewhat the same, but mostly just fluff.

And though it hasn't come out here yet, I've seen a few subs of Ala Alba, the "real" season two of Negima, and though I think they should have started with the start of the school festival arc instead of the end of it, basically ignoring the awful trainwreck of the end of season one, I'm really looking forward to that one coming here.
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The first Anime adaptation was actually pretty good to me.. untill it diverged from the manga. Had it stayed closer, I would have liked it much more.

Pretty much my sentiments exactly; I always prefer things to stay as close to the original as possible. (Elves at Helm's Deep? Pshaw!) It's basically true until the Kyoto arc... But then starts getting further and further away. I guess the OVAs are the closest to the manga we'll get now.

The second version's alright, but I'll always love the manga first and foremost. And there's the live action adaptation, but... yeah. Hm.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Just posted a product packaging video for Air TV series, Kanon and Air - The Motion Picture on blog.funimation.com

Here is the link to view in 720p HD so you can see the details of the packaging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFFXQjnPVGM&fmt=22

Lance
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Often times, whenever this topic does come up, people do imply a lot with their words. I apologize for my own implications. I'm glad to know you don't think I'm a criminal and that you're against censorship. Smile

I'm always taken aback by all the incendiary rhetoric being flung around by both sides. To continue with my earlier example, I think Kodomo no Jikan is a cute show. It's been labeled lolicon. Thus, apparently I'm a lolicon fan. I don't know. I'm certainly not a rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth lolicon fan who's a member of forums dedicated to the genre and that sort of thing, but I also don't like grumpy old men (or anyone really, but my apologies if you're the former! Razz) trying to inflate their sense of moral superiority by thinking I'm in the same boat as the creeps on To Catch a Predator, so I usually fall on the side of defending lolicon, moe, and the like.

I hope we're on the same page now. Very Happy
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
You can't really compare Kanon and AIR here...reason being is the Kanon released in the US is the 2006 remake and thus extended from the 2002 version even though the 2006 Kanon and AIR are both by the same company.

Now comparing 2002 where both AIR and Kanon were the same length would probably be better since then both are given the same time frame to develop the plot, in which case Kanon would probably still win out to the "average" otaku since AIR requires some serious thinking and understanding of how things work in that series.

If AIR is ever released in Blu-Ray here, I will buy it, otherwise the DVD isn't really worth anything to me at the moment and I'll simply continue to import R2 DVDs at around the same price.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:
Annf wrote:
She accidentally her whole floor?

Accidentally what?

I am sorry, but what does that mean? I can't imagine that being a moe term, because that sentence makes zero sense at all.

Maybe Bamboo knows what this means, considering she has reviewed some moe titles.

As for the dvds this week, I'd maybe only watch Kannon, but only because Greg Ayres, Collen Clikenbeard and Chris Patton are voice actors are in the show. Not to mention Ms. Luci Christian.
Granted, I've only watched one episode and I don't intend on watch the rest any time soon.

Don't even get me started on Negima, but that is a whole other story.
Rednal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. I haven't watched either Air or Kanon, though I've heard a lot about them. I guess I prefer happy endings, or thereabouts.

Nanoha A's was, um... actually, quite good. ^^ I enjoyed it more than I did the first season, a good bit of which was for the action. It's a bit like watching a Giant Robot show, except that instead of robots, you get to watch cute girls do the blasting instead. That's probably most of the appeal, and to be honest, it's not all that bad to play, either (via Magical Battle Arena, recently acquired at a convention).

Negima... dangit, if they made an anime adaption that was faithful to the manga, focusing mostly on the action, I think it would be really good. I really enjoyed the first three episodes of Negima!? (the second series); after that, it got kind of weird, though episode seven was pretty good. But in the dub of the first seris, the first time Negi talked I didn't realize he'd even spoken for a few seconds. And I heard some really bad things about the ending. I love the manga, but I'm just not interested in the animated version of this series. You'd think that given Akamatsu's popularity, they'd get enough of a budget to animate his works the right way...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7