• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-04-22

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Community? Nah, forget that. Just because I might enjoy pizza doesn't mean I have to like or even tolerate the existence of a fat slob going "Mm, I love pizza. I love Italy, period! The Pope. ACORDIANS-gamesh! Ah, the mafia! Hurf durf."

I downright loathe most kawaii-desu-ne fans because they're idiots, and should be hated. I go to cons, and I feel that their actions are usually expected, if not celebrated; it's a serious drag to the whole experience.

I don't see what them being fat has to do with it, culture worship is frustrating coming from somebody of any weight. I am pretty fat, and I love pizza, but you'd never hear me going "Yeah, Bellissimo Mafia! Yay teh pope!" I think the yaoi paddles are awful, it's just assault, but I don't think there's anything wrong with Japanese words being used by English speaking fans, I've been known to say desu, I picked it up from watching Rozen Maiden, and I occasionally talk in half Japanese to myself because I want to see what words I've remembered, languages interest me. I do see how saying "kawaii!!!" constantly would be irritating, but saying "cute!!!" constantly would be irritating too. I also see that it's pointless to use such words in non-anime-fan settings unless there's somebody who speaks Japanese and doesn't mind the pidgin there, in particular, saying "ya" for "no" will just confuse everyone, for instance.
Cait

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote
I'd never thought of punctuation as having gender, let alone sexuality before. I will never look at the semicolon the same way again...
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:25 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
domino wrote:
The yaoi paddle is the world's worst invention.
Not to mention, as a yaoi fan, I don't even get the point of them.

Seconded. Rolling Eyes
jetz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:41 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
rogue_gamecube wrote:
SEMEN COLONY!

Nope, you didn't get it correctly, although for those who can't read Japanese it could be a (barely) reasonable pun.

Yep it's seme colon (as in seme-uke/top-bottom Laughing ), or this ";", right? Anime hyper

Yaoi paddles? I wonder if there was one in the yaoi con I didn't go to last year Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:51 am Reply with quote
Oh wow. The Yaoi paddle. Anime hyper Sadly at A-Cen those are EVERYWHERE there. I swear, I pass by at least three booths of people selling them (as well as the seme/uke ones), and what's sad is that they sell out like hotcakes.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote
One of the truest comic strips I've ever laid eyes on.
I REALLY wish it wasn't true though. Anime hyper
Ceru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:01 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Community? Nah, forget that. Just because I might enjoy pizza doesn't mean I have to like or even tolerate the existence of a fat slob going "Mm, I love pizza. I love Italy, period! The Pope. ACORDIANS-gamesh! Ah, the mafia! Hurf durf."

I downright loathe most kawaii-desu-ne fans because they're idiots, and should be hated. I go to cons, and I feel that their actions are usually expected, if not celebrated; it's a serious drag to the whole experience.

I don't see what them being fat has to do with it, culture worship is frustrating coming from somebody of any weight. I am pretty fat, and I love pizza, but you'd never hear me going "Yeah, Bellissimo Mafia! Yay teh pope!" I think the yaoi paddles are awful, it's just assault, but I don't think there's anything wrong with Japanese words being used by English speaking fans, I've been known to say desu, I picked it up from watching Rozen Maiden, and I occasionally talk in half Japanese to myself because I want to see what words I've remembered, languages interest me. I do see how saying "kawaii!!!" constantly would be irritating, but saying "cute!!!" constantly would be irritating too. I also see that it's pointless to use such words in non-anime-fan settings unless there's somebody who speaks Japanese and doesn't mind the pidgin there, in particular, saying "ya" for "no" will just confuse everyone, for instance.

What you say about weight is very true, it's irrelevant because skinny people can be just as obnoxious as overweight people. However, I do think that because of the media's portrayal of "what is beauty", thin people tend to get away with more in terms of obnoxious behavior. It's frustrating and unfair. Sad

However, I do disagree on the Japanese words thing. When I first got into anime many years ago I sprinkled them in my English sentences. "Nani?" I'd say, or "Kawaii neko!" and stuff. Then I actually decided to take Japanese classes and never mixed English and Japanese again. I find it to be an excessively annoying habit in anime fans, as though they're using it to try and prove how cool they are just because they know how to say "desu". "WOW! Check out my awesomeness, I speak Japaneez LOLOLOLOL". It's also just so damned pretentious Razz If you want to speak Japanese, crack open a textbook and start learning basic stuff like how to introduce yourself or talk about the weather. Learn hiragana and katakana. Don't rewatch episodes of Naruto so you can memorize and flaunt your knowledge of "gomen nasai".

Anyway this is once again a great ANNina! Con season is only a few weeks away and as an artist I get to sit back and watch all these interesting and too-true atrocities take place!
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
domino wrote:
Not to mention, as a yaoi fan, I don't even get the point of them. Seriously, is it a reference to some manga I've never read? Is it supposed to be some sort of blunted (and terribly misguided) cupid's arrow (i.e., if you smack 2 boys within a 10 foot radius will they gravitate toward one another)? Or is it that maybe, just maybe, some fans will buy anything vaguely associated with their fandom?

P.S. I can't help but think they should make them bigger so they can be used as pizza paddles or something in the future...

@rogue_gamecube-- I think she was going for a play on "semicolon," but yeah I noticed that too.

Okay now there are many fans of yaoi(which includes myself and i am guy) who are normal and do not act that way.Do not clump all fans of a certain fandom together in one boat.
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
After a year or two where it had gone paddle-less, I noticed a disturbing increase in the number of yaoi paddles at this year's Sakuracon. Confused There was also a perceived increase in the amount of glomping and glomp-inviting this year, compared to the last several years. Just when I thought these fads had started to die down...
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
After a year or two where it had gone paddle-less, I noticed a disturbing increase in the number of yaoi paddles at this year's Sakuracon. :? There was also a perceived increase in the amount of glomping and glomp-inviting this year, compared to the last several years. Just when I thought these fads had started to die down...

As long as there are fresh crops of pubescent pre-teens being inundated into anime fandom, I believe that those particular fads will never die :|

My first con was Otakon in 2002, and I remember having sooo much fun~ Now I still go to them but I don't enjoy them like that anymore. To some extent, I'm a little envious of the people that can just go all out and have a good time D; But srsly though, a lot of these people need to be whacked with something, and preferably NOT a yaoi paddle lol.

hikura wrote:
poonk wrote:
domino wrote:
Not to mention, as a yaoi fan, I don't even get the point of them. Seriously, is it a reference to some manga I've never read? Is it supposed to be some sort of blunted (and terribly misguided) cupid's arrow (i.e., if you smack 2 boys within a 10 foot radius will they gravitate toward one another)? Or is it that maybe, just maybe, some fans will buy anything vaguely associated with their fandom?

P.S. I can't help but think they should make them bigger so they can be used as pizza paddles or something in the future...

@rogue_gamecube-- I think she was going for a play on "semicolon," but yeah I noticed that too.

Okay now there are many fans of yaoi(which includes myself and i am guy) who are normal and do not act that way.Do not clump all fans of a certain fandom together in one boat.

Yes, there are also those of us that own a paddle for the general lulz, but somehow still manage to refrain from randomly assaulting strangers in public areas :/ AMAZING ARE OUR POWERS OF COMMON SENSE AND DECENCY~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
lol Catfox
Kiriska

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
Oh, man. The seme colon shirt made me lol so hard. XD
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote
What the HELL is it???

Oh gawd that was so funny. Yes, the communities have combined. It's no longer black and white. It's like a really messed up grey that you can't even call grey.

Funny that you mentioned this as you brought this up before about those other weird fans that are like a messed up furry thing. I saw one of those walking down the street yesterday morning. I was like "holy crap, they do exist!!"
poonk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
poonk wrote:
domino wrote:

Okay now there are many fans of yaoi(which includes myself and i am guy) who are normal and do not act that way. Do not clump all fans of a certain fandom together in one boat.
I hope you're not misinterpreting my post-- I know very well that not all yaoi fans are so ill-mannered as to assault strangers, because I'm one of them. As with any fandom, it's the vocal minority that gets people's attention and therefore serves to form a general (in this case negative) impression in the minds of those outside the group. It's not like the rest of us (the majority) are wearing a sign saying "well-mannered yaoi fan, does not spank strangers."
SailorButterfly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
OUCH!

My back hurts just looking at that hit Kevin took. Anime dazed

I never got the Yaoi paddle thing. Luckily they've been getting banned at most of the conventions I go too. I'm also lucky in that I've never been glomped without the person asking first. Anime smallmouth

Also...I had to Google "sekushi". I'm trying to decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9