• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Antagonists you found yourself rooting for?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
Light isn't an antagonist.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
Snake of the Festival, or what ever his title is in Shakugan No Shana Final
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
The Lost Prophet wrote:
Yagami Light. Seriously, when I was younger, I thought he was doing the most awesome and righteous thing ever. Now I watch the series and wonder what the hell I was thinking back then Shocked
The term you're looking for is "villain protagonist".
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

Why's that? I mean, good pick and all, but may want to elaborate a little instead of just listing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
timiman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Well first of all, if you define antagonist as a person who is against the "law" then I'd say Light Yagami (Death Note) and Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass)...
BUT if you consider antagonists as the ones who are against the main character(s) then I'd say Vegeta (DBZ) and, umm, well I'd say Aizen from Bleach, even though I like Ichigo I still believe Aizen to be more badass and cool. He was always the strongest and he could've taken down anyone, but in the end (his final fight against Ichigo) he kinda lost those cool points of his and I permanently sided with Ichigo. Oh yes, I'd also add Broly from DBZ, with a similar reasoning as Aizen except Broly stayed the badass he was till the very end.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
getchman wrote:

Why's that? I mean, good pick and all, but may want to elaborate a little instead of just listing.

i dont know, he just didn't seem as evil as everyone made him out to be
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
In the beginning of Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, Grandis was an antagonist that I rooted for. For one thing, she had some scruples. Then spoiler happened.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the antics of Lobelia Academy in Ouran High School Host Club.

spoiler[Tamaki really needed to be put in his place. He continually exploited Haruhi for his own and the club's benefit. I enjoyed watching him quiver with the thought of losing his new toy/love interest.]
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
@HyugaHinata, regarding Ouran

spoiler[I thought the whole point of Ouran is that all off the hosts willingly exploited shoujo tropes, and didn't do anything regarding Haruhi that they weren't doing themselves. Haruhi herself always let them know when they went too far. While they never let Haruhi off the hook about the vase, they were also very protective of her and slammed anyone who tried to mess with her even very early on. By the point of the story you're referring to, I thought it was pretty obvious that they weren't worried about never recouping the loss, but about losing Haruhi herself.]

As for the thread question, I'd say Lady Eboshi in Princess Mononoke springs to mind. We don't want the forest and it's denizens destroyed, but we also don't want the ex-prostitutes and lepers dying caught between the forest and mainstream civilization with nowhere to go. The whole point of the movie is that San and Eboshi's views are equally valid. I think Miyazaki found an excellent balance between environmentalism and sympathy for people doing damage not out of callousness or greed, but because it's literally the only way for them to live.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
@HyugaHinata, regarding Ouran

spoiler[I thought the whole point of Ouran is that all off the hosts willingly exploited shoujo tropes, and didn't do anything regarding Haruhi that they weren't doing themselves. Haruhi herself always let them know when they went too far. While they never let Haruhi off the hook about the vase, they were also very protective of her and slammed anyone who tried to mess with her even very early on. By the point of the story you're referring to, I thought it was pretty obvious that they weren't worried about never recouping the loss, but about losing Haruhi herself.]

I see what you're getting at, but to me at least, spoiler[it seemed that they were indulging in a good deal of Schadenfreude regarding her predicament. If they did lose Haruhi, they'd lose their favourite new "toy".]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
getchman wrote:

i don't know, he just didn't seem as evil as everyone made him out to be

You can add him to the antagonists I found myself rooting for as well, so perhaps I can add my own reasons.

As I see it, there are usually two main reasons to root for an antagonist. One reason is that oftentimes the antagonists are just plain cool. I think a great example of this is Ladd Russo from Baccano!, or he would be if not for the fact that Baccano! doesn't really have a typical protagonist/antagonist structure. Ladd Russo is horrible, with practically no redeeming traits whatsoever, but he's just so fun to watch that it's hard not to cheer him on. (It helps that most of the time he's fighting people just as bad as himself).

Well, the Snake of the Festival has that "coolness" part down perfectly. He's got a great visual design, or more precisely his spoiler[human vessel Yuji has a great design], as I wasn't a huge fan some of the CG used on the actual snake body itself. Still, at least that looked imposing in some scenes. He's got a nice voice, with Sho Hayami (Aizen's voice actor) giving him a deep, regal presence. He gives cool speeches and has got a totally awesome theme song. There's also a certain weight to everything he does. Lot's of villains/antagonists claim to be gods, but the Snake of the Festival is a god, and when he declares "I am divine, beyond your comprehension" to his followers, you don't view it as arrogance, because it's not. It's the truth.

All of these are of course superficial reasons to root for a character, though. If these were the only things he had going for him, it would be hard to truly root for him in the long run, not unless you hated all the protagonists or simply didn't care about the story. Fortunately, the Snake of the Festival also qualifies for the second main reason people usually root for an antagonist, and that is because he's not a clear villain.

spoiler[His goals are all noble, and even his direct methods aren't bad. Not a single person had to die for him to create Xanadu. The only reason he fought against the Flame Hazes was because he was certain they would try to stop him as the result of misconceptions or because of hatred/prejudice... which is exactly what happened 3,000 years ago, when he tried to do things peacefully. Now, you can rightfully point out most of the modern Flame Hazes are completely different people and were not necessarily going to respond the same way. But you can at least sort of understand why, after spending 3,000 years in the abyss cause he tried to do things nicely, the Snake of the Festival decided to engage in preemptive war with the Flame Hazes the second time around.]

spoiler[And there's yet another reason for rooting for him: the only hope of anything resembling a happy ending comes from his success. While his plan wasn't perfect, nor would it solve every future issue (and indeed, he changes it slightly near the end, because the Denizens, desiring to be with humans, actually want the Flame Haze's additional rule), it still at every stage represented the best hope of fixing the messed up state of the world. His complete defeat would simply result in a return to status-qua, except now Yuji would have earned the ire of everyone he ever knew, all for nothing.]

spoiler[Denizens would still be stuck in the the apparently quite hellish crimson would, except for those who chose to go to the human would and devour humans. Humans would still be being continually wiped from existence as result, and Flame Hazes would still be fighting a constant battle until the inevitably die and disappear from existence. This war would continue on for all eternity, or until some Denizens finally manage to create a distortion so big it wipes out reality.]

spoiler[That's why, in order for a happy ending to occur, the Snake of the Festival has to win, at least partially. He has to prove the Flame Hazes wrong and show them that his plan work.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3