• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saban Brands Acquires Digimon Anime Franchise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KKDW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quote
Well, I hope this eventually leads to the series coming back in the UK (I don't think we've had any Digimon since Tamers) and some decent DVD releases of the whole thing.
aereus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:23 am Reply with quote
Digimon Fusion doesn't sound any worse to me than leaving it as Xros Wars. My guess is they went "how do you pronounce Xros again?" and figured there might be confusion for kids.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:32 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

I feel that the fanservice is part of the show. Taking that out would be equivalent to removing someone's kidney. You still can live, but you won't be whole.

Aside from being against censorship from a moral standpoint, I feel that media products are best enjoyed unadulterated to do it justice (regardless of the type of media and country of origin). In that respect, I'm also against dubbing, localizing, editing etc...

...but of course, that's just my opinion. Different strokes for different folks and you're free to disagree with me. Wink

If it were a series where the main draw of it was fanservice I would agree, but it was just kind of there, and they way they pushed it this season in comparison to the other seasons really made me uncomfortable. Especially with it being a kid's show - yeah, Japan and America have different standards, but it still rubbed me the wrong way. If that were all to be cut out, the overall story wouldn't be affected - it definitely wouldn't be as damaging as removing the fanservice from Highschool of the Dead.

And fanservice hasn't really that big in the series since Savers in my opinion. Characters like Angewomon and LadyDevimon might have have bared a bit of skin, but it always seemed pretty tasteful and they didn't go out of their way to focus on bust shots or whatnot. Personally I think even Kazemon and Zephyrmon were pretty tasteful but I seem to be in the minority there. [And yes, I know about Sexy Dynamite, but that's a ...special little case in itself.]

Buuut, I don't want to make a big deal about this topic so I'll just leave it at that. On another note, I really hope the dub gets some DVDs released, since there haven't been any non-rental dvds released for the series at all in japan even.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
This is epically glorious news, I hope Saban decides to release Complete Season Sets of Seasons 1-7.

(yes I do consider xros wars: young hunters thru time as s07)

malvarez1 wrote:
Awesome! Between this, Adventure finally going on DVD, and the upcoming PSP game, its a good time to be a Digimon fan! Very Happy

When was it confirmed that the U.S. was getting the new PSP game?!
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:55 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
And fanservice hasn't really that big in the series since Savers in my opinion. Characters like Angewomon and LadyDevimon might have have bared a bit of skin, but it always seemed pretty tasteful and they didn't go out of their way to focus on bust shots or whatnot. Personally I think even Kazemon and Zephyrmon were pretty tasteful but I seem to be in the minority there. [And yes, I know about Sexy Dynamite, but that's a ...special little case in itself.

We must have watched difference series then. Angewomon's hips and bust got plenty of nice focus. And one of Fairymon's attacks involved spreading her legs and rubbing her butt against guys.

Fun bit of trivia: Frontier and Xros share a few episode directors, one of which always loved to focus on Fairymon/Shutumon's armpits and hips in Frontier, while in Xros he focused on Nene's armpits and hips (I would say Mervamon but it seems every director does that). Kind of fun when you can point out directors based on their habits and styles. Not that I'm complaining.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:34 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I'm looking forward to this BECAUSE of the edits to some extent. All that fanservice can get the heck out of Digimon, thank you very much. Confused

Fanservice and Digimon have gone together since the beginning of the franchise. Fanservice is a main staple of anime in general. Removing it would be, like Actar said, removing part of it's soul.

Besides, how can you hate a Digimon who shoves enemies' faces into her crotch to make them pass out from nosebleeds? All of her attacks pretty much involve her camel-toe or her jiggling breasts from what I remember, it was a really fun series. Enjoyed it a lot more than Savers which came off a bit stale and bland, aside from Masaru punching Digimon randomly (which was kind of silly I admit)

Hmm a Fanservice based Digimon welp Disney, Nick & the HUB are out, Saban better go to Cartoon Network for this one, hey maybe they can put it on Toonami *no seriously I would be fine with that I don't care if its a kids show, anywhere they can get it on with minimal edits is a good thing*
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
...There are people who watch Digimon for fanservice? Confused I always watched it because, even when in Saban's goofier version, its plot and characters were miles ahead of any other toyetic anime.

Anyway, I can accept TV edits (provided there's an uncut version) if the show at least has the original music. Unfortunately, that seems to be the one step Saban refuses to take.

As such, I won't be watching this, but I am glad for Digimon dub fans. Personally, I hope they get Tom Fahn to voice Shoutmon--it'd be nice for English Digimon fans to have the same experience as Japanese fans.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
...There are people who watch Digimon for fanservice? Confused I always watched it because, even when in Saban's goofier version, its plot and characters were miles ahead of any other toyetic anime.

Anyway, I can accept TV edits (provided there's an uncut version) if the show at least has the original music. Unfortunately, that seems to be the one step Saban refuses to take.

As such, I won't be watching this, but I am glad for Digimon dub fans. Personally, I hope they get Tom Fahn to voice Shoutmon--it'd be nice for English Digimon fans to have the same experience as Japanese fans.

I know right, its crazy, and here I thought I was watching it to watch digital monsters fight each other Laughing Oh and the story & characters of course.

But yeah I do agree minor edits aren't that bad, honestly I don't know if its funny or sad that even all ages/kids anime have fanservice problems these days (a bit of both I guess) But yeah I look forward to this eventually airing on U.S. TV *hopefully*
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
In general, I decry editing as well, if no uncut version is also made available, but with a kid's show that's just not as likely - so I take what I can get.

I'd been hearing rumors about this for quite a while now, and I'm super excited that it turned out to be true. I really, REALLY hope they get as many of the old show actors on board in various roles as they can, so that maybe they can get them in for the crossover at the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fanservice and Digimon have gone together since the beginning of the franchise. Fanservice is a main staple of anime in general. Removing it would be, like Actar said, removing part of it's soul.

It would be "removing part of its soul" only to a person who is so sex-starved that they would enjoy fanservice in a children's show (and it IS a cynical merchandise-driven children's show, no matter how hard you try to make it seem like some amazing anime).
TaiChiChasers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Question, is this the first time in history that an English company bought the rights to an anime series, later lost them, then bought them back again?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hmm a Fanservice based Digimon

Quite a few, actually.

Yeah.

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
But yeah I do agree minor edits aren't that bad, honestly I don't know if its funny or sad that even all ages/kids anime have fanservice problems these days (a bit of both I guess) But yeah I look forward to this eventually airing on U.S. TV *hopefully*

These days? The 80s had a child Bulma flash her vagina to an old man in exchange for a Dragonball. Hardly anything new for kids shows. Not to mention all the stuff in the iconic Doraemon series which has been airing for decades.

Chagen46 wrote:
It would be "removing part of its soul" only to a person who is so sex-starved that they would enjoy fanservice in a children's show (and it IS a cynical merchandise-driven children's show, no matter how hard you try to make it seem like some amazing anime).

Blatant personal attacks aside, I don't think you know what 'cynical' means. It's definitely not Digimon, though, that's for sure. And it being a merchandise show has no relation to whether it's good or not. Some of the best anime of all time were merchandising anime. It's pretty close-minded to write a show off because of that.

And yes, trying to tone down any of the fanservice or sex would pretty much take away a big chunk of their characters. Lilithmon is called Lilithmon for a reason. It's not like some boobs or cameltoes are a big deal anyway, real women have those as well.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Quote:
Hmm a Fanservice based Digimon

Quite a few, actually.

Didn't Renamon become some Furry Sex Fetish Idol as well?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I suppose; though that was more what the furry fans did to her than the actual show itself.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so there's fanservice in Digimon Xros Wars.

Aaaaand so what? Is that all there is to this series? I mean what other appeal to the show is there?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5