• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Adjusting the Vertical

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
RAmmsoldat wrote:

Then so be it, id welcome either honestly.

Still if there are sure hits... anyone would jump at the chance.

But as Zac noted, those hits aren't as plentiful, for some of the reasons mentioned here and in the podcast.

sadly nothing in life is guaranteed and I've never associated what is good with what is popular but I dont need to tell you that.

Im quite happy with the stuff you guys have planned for the near future anyway, even did a little fist pump when wolfsmund was announced as Id recently read some of it and was eagerly awaiting more from the scanners but seeing as you guys got it I get to stop reading it online and buy it which i prefer.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:

>RE: Planetes
Main point is that it failed during the manga boom... What are the chances it'd do well now? Not high.

I understand the business reasoning behind it. With Planetes, I actually had the entire series on my shelf in both Japanese and English, because I really loved it, but, damn, Tokyopop's printing of it was terrible.

Lord Geo wrote:
Those plans for Vinland Saga sounded so awesome that it really makes one wonder why Kodansha pulled the plug on it

Yeah, that release sounded like it would have been great.

Brainchild129 wrote:
It kills me every time I hear that Twin Spica has sold so poorly, because people really do not know what a great series they are missing out on.

Yeah. I love that series.
...But honestly, if I hadn't seen fansubs of it back in the day, I wouldn't even know to seek it out.

I preordered each volume (starting with 4) as it was released.

Tenchi wrote:
EDIT: Okay, got to the part of the podcast where Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou was specifically addressed. Too bad, though I know it's a pipedream title that'll never be liccensed in English by anybody.

Yeah. It was a little disheartening to hear it, but at least the response indicated that Ed had no interest and didn't like it, and a firm no is better than an ambivalent response any day of the week.

Though he did mention that there are companies out there with an option for it (probably Kodansha USA) so some form of English release is still possible.

Now as for not checking many titles on the survey response cards, I admit that I don't read much manga these days, but most of what I buy these days do tend to be either Dark Horse or Vertical releases. They just capture the kind of manga I'm interested in far more than the other companies.

Part of the reason why I don't read much manga these days is because I have limited physical space. I respect Viz's digital push, but very little of their seinen content makes it on there, with shounen getting a major focus. Dark Horse is much better in terms of making their seinen content available. And, of course, I'm still hoping that Vertical gets into the digital publishing business as well.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:

Brainchild129 wrote:
It kills me every time I hear that Twin Spica has sold so poorly, because people really do not know what a great series they are missing out on.

Yeah. I love that series.
...But honestly, if I hadn't seen fansubs of it back in the day, I wouldn't even know to seek it out.

I preordered each volume (starting with 4) as it was released.

I watched the Animax Asia dub. Given that they're re-airing their old dub of Tweeny Witches I'm hopeful they might show Twin Spica again.

Only ever found manga volumes one and four on the shelf locally, so when I heard the series wasn't doing so well I ordered the rest from Right Stuf in one shipment.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:12 am Reply with quote
I was fortunate to be able to pick up the entire run of Twin Spica except for the final 2 volumes from my local comic store, but they now have a complete run still waiting on the shelves. I'm half tempted to buy it just so I can give it to someone to show how awesome it is.
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
It kills me every time I hear that Twin Spica has sold so poorly, because people really do not know what a great series they are missing out on. I'm a little under halfway through it, and I just cannot get over how good and understated and genuinely moving it is.

The words "understated and genuinely moving" have piqued my interest. I've gone ahead and ordered the first volume so we'll see how it goes. I just hope the series stays in print for long enough should I decide that I want the rest of it; there's nothing worse than getting into a series only to find certain volumes have disappeared into the ether.

EDIT: Just noticed Ed's post about several volumes already being OOP. Looks as though v11 is the only one that would be a pain to get right now, but I'm not ready to make the commitment of getting the later volumes quite yet. Fiddlesticks!
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
ElectricDork wrote:

EDIT: Just noticed Ed's post about several volumes already being OOP. Looks as though v11 is the only one that would be a pain to get right now, but I'm not ready to make the commitment of getting the later volumes quite yet. Fiddlesticks!

Volumes 9-10-11 are OOP. Volumes 5-6-7-8 in that order will disappear next.

Beware... Black Jack is also going OOP soon.
Genet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
ElectricDork wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up!

Did Black Jack do well for you guys? I was always under the impression that it, well, at least the earlier volumes, seemed to sell well.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Genet wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up!

Did Black Jack do well for you guys? I was always under the impression that it, well, at least the earlier volumes, seemed to sell well.

Most volumes have gone to reprint (I make public reprint and low stock info on twitter all the time. @vertical_ed).

But now that the series is over there is little demand from vendors to keep that long series on shelves. Particularly the later volumes. We plan to keep vols 1-5 available for as long as we can. But expect some volumes to disappear before Black Friday 2012.

Now that doesn't mean we will never revisit BJ. We've got plans in case the live action TV series gets going. But for now, expect the doctor's office to close for some volumes in the not too distant future.
AgitoZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Even though just about no one cares, it should be noted that Ultimate Muscle did finish. It just took 7 years to release all 29 volumes. However, they haven't (and never will) pick up the sequel/spin-off series.

Eat your heart out Gintama and Reborn!...
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Genet wrote:
Vertical_Ed wrote:
ElectricDork wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up!

*Adds Black Jack to the Get ASAP list*
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:11 am Reply with quote
Is the site having issues? I went to look at it and the web page was telling me not to trust the site. But I told the page to trust it, but none of the links seem to work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3