• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: Blu-Ray and High Def

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
I'm waiting for the price to go down before buying a BD player.

Ditto. PS3 is still cheaper than most stand-alone Blu-ray players, with a better features to price ratio, to boot. Problem is I don't like the PS3's design. The Xbox 360 is much sexier, though it does have the perennial RRoD problem. Maybe Sony will make a slim PSthree later.

RRoD hasn't been a problem for a year. Of course the PS3 still trumps the 360 with BD functionality, irrespective of aesthetic preferences.

I'd rather have a standalone player, anyway. I've seen plenty that are cheaper than the Triple, and I have no desire to own another console.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
I'm waiting for the price to go down before buying a BD player.

Ditto. PS3 is still cheaper than most stand-alone Blu-ray players, with a better features to price ratio, to boot. Problem is I don't like the PS3's design. The Xbox 360 is much sexier, though it does have the perennial RRoD problem. Maybe Sony will make a slim PSthree later.

We're already there. Check Amazon and you'll find several decent players for $199 or less. I expect players to hit $99 during sales this Thanksgiving, with $99 dollar regular price models showing up next year.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
I'd rather have a standalone player, anyway. I've seen plenty that are cheaper than the Triple, and I have no desire to own another console.

Local stock has the stand-alone players being much more expensive than the PS3. Could just be that they're only importing the high-end, stuff--or just charging a ridiculous amount of mark-up.

Good to hear that the 360 isn't so buggy these days. I like the 360 exclusives better than the PS3's. For now I just play at a rental arcade with PS3s and 360s and full HD monitors.

I wonder if I should just try and get the 360 HD-DVD drive on the cheap, if possible, then hook it up to my Asus F8Vr laptop. It has HDMI output, so HDTV/home theater connections shouldn't be problem.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably not going to get one for a significant amount of time personally. First, I don't have an HD TV, I still have a tube TV. It works, I see no reason to replace it, I replace things when they are broken, not when they are out of style. I won't be getting a PS3 for while either, for one thing, God of War 3 isn't out on it yet and I've already got a 360 and Wii that I barely touch, I don't think I'd be touching the PS3 much either once I've beaten GoW 3 honestly. I might get one once this console generation is over and they can be had for cheap.
And to quote Ben Yahtzee Croshaw (from his Console Rundown review, from June, 11, 2008):
Quote:
It's supposed to have higher definition but personally I've never found myself saying oh Army of Darkness is still a glorious celebration of boyish fantasy violence but if only the resolution was a wee bit bigger it could be significantly improved, I'm not a connoisseur but for me there's really not enough visible difference between Blu-Ray and DVD quality for Sony to credibly argue that it's the next big advance...

I'm fine with DVDs, they're cheaper, everything is on it, etc. If Blu-Ray ever completely overtakes DVDs, like DVDs have done to VHS, then of course I'll switch out of necessity. And by that time, it should be dirt cheap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3