• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Season Finale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Ohnoes! Crying or Very sad I'll miss you on this column, Erin. I always enjoy your straightforward style.

Quote:
I snobbily gave up on Ergo Proxy back in 2006. I thought it was too boring, too slow-moving, and trying too hard to be cool.

Same here, except I don't think it was snobbishness. And I found the gay robot an obnoxious stereotype.

Quote:
The ending isn't so great, and doesn't make the most sense.

So it's another Fudged Mystical Ending?

Re mine car rides, there was also one in Laputa, of course.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Oblivion Island is formulaic (although Erin did not need to give away plot points.). I knew generally how the movie would progress, with the only surprise being spoiler[that I thought all inari would learn of the Baron's secret.] I normally do not care for 3D CG characters. However I liked Haruka and enjoyed the ride, even if the movie went where I thought it would go. This is a movie I would watch again and show to my wife, so I would have given this a Shelf Worthy rating, although it is borderline Rental Shelf.
VamptVo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Finally actually registered for the Forums to reply to this.

I feel really bad for not reading as much Shelf Life as I intended to during your run, Erin. You did a great job, though, and I enjoyed the articles every time I stopped by!

On the subject of Ergo Proxy, my reaction was very similar to yours. I watched it years ago and lost interest before hitting the end, but after rewatching it for Otaku USA a few months back, I totally turned around on it. It's far from perfect, but some of those episodes in the middle are actually really brilliant. Particularly the one where the trio's sci-fi sailboat thing is stuck and they're just hanging out dealing with cabin fever. I was pleasantly surprised.
seanhiruki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to see you go, Erin. Always love reading what you have to say on Shelf Life. Cannot wait to see what you do next. Perhaps continuing your job as a Ninja Consultant? We will miss you, Erin.

And Bamboo, glad to hear you are taking over! Just...don't overwork yourself, please?

EDIT:
Vampvo: Well well, if it is not Furious Evan M. Welcome to the forums, man.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reibooi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I could not disagree more about This Boy Can Fight Aliens. I loved the hell out of that little OVA. I've probably watched it about 5 times now and just love it every time. I personally think it looks beautiful. I love the character design and while the character animation is indeed very limited Yamamoto works around that quite well by doing alot of other more experimental things throughout. Such as scenes in which the characters are on cardboard like cut outs on Popsicle sticks and talk back and forth like that for a sort time.

It really helps if you can relate to the main character and his struggle to understand his place in the world. He feels utterly alone despite having a few around him who seem to genuinely care for him. I personally deal with these things on a daily basis as I have severe Bi-polar and deal with feeling angry and sad and alone when in reality I know I'm not and that helped me relate to the show ALOT more then I guess someone who doesn't have or understand someone who has these issues. The times when Kakashi says "The world isn't nice" hit home for me personally as I personally have felt similarly many times in my life.

But again this is all from the point of few of someone who struggles with alot of emotional and mental issues on a daily basis so perhaps that's why I have such high praise of it. I did show it to one friend and they didn't seem to grasp why I loved it so much so there is something to be said about that.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
Good luck Erin, sorry to see this is the last one from you I really enjoyed following your reviews these past years even the ones I didn't agree with and appreciate all the hard work. Hopefully you'll be able poke your nose into the future columns forum discussions to share some thoughts if any of the future shows end up being any that you really like or are watching on your own that therefore wouldn't take much extra time. Smile

AnimeMaine wrote:
I agree that Oblivion Island is formulaic (although Erin did not need to give away plot points.). I knew generally how the movie would progress, with the only surprise being spoiler[that I thought all inari would learn of the Baron's secret.] I normally do not care for 3D CG characters. However I liked Haruka and enjoyed the ride, even if the movie went where I thought it would go. This is a movie I would watch again and show to my wife, so I would have given this a Shelf Worthy rating, although it is borderline Rental Shelf.

Yeah, I really enjoyed this movie a lot more than I expected to regardless of it's simplicity, I thought it was really well done, and ofcourse as the review mentions quite gorgeous (though I disagree on the character side, I actually really liked the character animation a lot myself).

My favorite parts of Ergo Proxy definitely centered around Re-l, probably why I loved the scifi detective part towards the beginning best just like Erin, though I still quite enjoyed the rest that followed Vincent (loved Pino) even if it was more uneven it was still good.

I really wish Murase would do another show as I really loved Witch Hunter Robin (except for a bit at the beginning of the second half before it got really good again), and this show, and I personally love his scifi gothic art style for both of these shows.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen This Boy Can Fight Aliens, yet, but I like Ergo Proxy and Oblivion City. I understand the former and appreciate the latter for what it is. I didn't think of Indiana Jones once, and frankly, I rarely do, these days. I'm 54, and I hope I don't become as jaded as Erin when I'm her age.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:31 am Reply with quote
I personally love Ergo Proxy. I would also say Re L is kinda of deuteragonist with Vince, I would not really say one is more of a main character than the other. The game show episode comes out of nowhere, but I have to admit had me laughing. Its been a while since I saw the show, but this and Witch hunter robin I thought were both good slightly dark action shows.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:15 am Reply with quote
Really sad to see you go, Erin. I loved reading your reviews and added a couple of titles to my "must have"-list because you gave them a favourable review (Sound of the Sky to name one).

Ergo Proxy is one of those shows that improves whenever you rewatch it. It's definitely one of my favourites.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:18 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Good luck in your future endeavors Erin! It's been a pleasure to read your column for the last few years.

And good luck to Bamboo as well, because you are going to need it. Wink

oh well. all good things must come to an end but it still stinks.

Also Ergo Proxy was never broadcasted on Adult Swim in the US. it was broadcasted on Fuse TV,unless you mean CN Austraila or Canada.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daichi383

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote
I'm really gonna miss you writing this column Erin. I read it as frequently as i could and really enjoyed it. Hope you get on well with whatever you're doing now. Crying or Very sad
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
Bye Erin we'll miss you!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote
Ah sadly, there are only 24 hours in a day, and parting is such sweet sorrow. What goes round comes round, and thanks for all the fish. I look forward to your first novel. Good luck and God's speed.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
I like Ergo Proxy and Oblivion City. I understand the former and appreciate the latter for what it is. I didn't think of Indiana Jones once, and frankly, I rarely do, these days. I'm 54, and I hope I don't become as jaded as Erin when I'm her age.
Maybe Erin just recently saw Indiana Jones, or it made a huge impression on her. I've even older, 59, and I just enjoyed the Oblivion Island mine ride for what it was; I didn't make any comparisons. [In fact, I'd bet there are early Disney or Looney Tunes cartoons with similar sequences prior to Indiana Jones.]
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
Good luck in your future endeavors! I've always enjoyed your take on things. You will be missed!

I really liked Ergo Proxy when I saw it, but I doubt I'd ever be able to make it through the whole thing again. But it's definitely worth a watch!

I also liked This Boy Can Fight Aliens, but I totally understand why Erin didn't. It's definitely flawed in execution (I found the use of text a little obnoxious and distracting) but the emotions involved are what make it enjoyable to me. And that's really what it's about. But, for the amount of content, I definitely wouldn't spend any more than what I did on it (around $10 for the dvd, and even that is a little on the high end for what you get, at least according to my often-empty wallet)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4