• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Sword Art Online, Blast of Tempest, Magi Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:
I really want Sword Art Online but they'll split it in two sets and jack it up to $150 each. But I'll have the postcards to console me. Wink

I'd guess much more expensive than $150. Bakemonogatari and Madoka had releases here much further removed from their releases in Japan. If I had to guess, I'd say we're going to see full Japanese pricing on this - Fate Zero-style.

Last edited by AJMkarate717 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
AJMkarate717 wrote:
If I had to guess, I'd say we're going to see full Japanese pricing on this - [/i]Fate Zero-style.

The Japanese discs aren't coming with subtitles so you are in luck :< I'd buy it twice if that was the case.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
AJMkarate717 wrote:
Bright_Spear wrote:
I really want Sword Art Online but they'll split it in two sets and jack it up to $150 each. But I'll have the postcards to console me. Wink

I'd guess much more expensive than $150. Bakemonogatari and Madoka had releases here much further removed from their releases in Japan. If I had to guess, I'd say we're going to see full Japanese pricing on this - [/i]Fate Zero-style.

And people wonder why there's always grumbling about aniplex pricing.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
It was a matter of time before SAO was announced for a home release. I am going to pretend to know about marketing and sales, and speculate about the SAO release.

I would English dub Sword Art Online and release it on BD to make justice to A-1 Pictures' production values. I would release it in 5 volumes, each retailing at $44.98 ($34.98 at TRSI). The whole series would sell at about $175. That is not a bad price for a 25 episodes series.

And what's up again with the chronic complaining about Aniplex USA pricing? Don't you people get tired at lashing at AoA every time they announce a home release? If you do not like their pricing, fine...speak with your wallets. Do not come to the forums just to bitch. This is getting old.

Shouldn't we be happy that more home releases are coming to the R1 market instead?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
@ angelmcazares - it's not your place to tell people what they can and cannot bitch about. This isn't called the "Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy Anime News Network." Why should people be happy when AoA cockblocks a title that another NA distrib could put out cheaper? If you don't like people bitching about AoA's prices, that's just too damn bad for you.
Saffire

angelmcazares wrote:
Shouldn't we be happy that more home releases are coming to the R1 market instead?
Except these are all titles we'd get regardless, so that sentiment doesn't have any value.
BlackJaded

darkchibi07 wrote:
In a way, I can see all three of those series getting an English dub AND a chance to be on the new Toonami.

All three shows are gonna be in Neon Alley soon, Tempest and Sword Art Online could make really good ratings on Toonami. For Nagi since it's aimed for Kids/Adults, it can make a chance unless on Saturdays morning and Toonami can get more hours soon.

Aniplex needs to put alot of interest on having English track Fate/Zero and Oriemo. It's just plain asinine to do this late yet not announce it earlier. Viz should've paid English rights as well to those series.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
In a way, I can see all three of those series getting an English dub AND a chance to be on the new Toonami.

All three shows are gonna be in Neon Alley soon,

And your proof is..... where?

Trust me, I wanna believe you. But unless you got some hard evidence, that's nothing more than speculation.

I would seriously be cool with the shows on Neon Alley, though.
burnpsy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
It makes me sad that they got Sword Art Online because I really do want to see that, but I will just buy and watch something else.

Couldn't you just watch it on Crunchyroll if your problem's not being able to watch the show?
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Do not come to the forums just to bitch

It would not be much of a forum with only three or four people using it.

Quote:

I have no reason to be happy about something that I cannot afford to buy. This is no better for me than the Japanese release.
If the Aniplex model should become the standard then I would not be able to buy any new anime. There is little cause for jubilation in that scenario.

burnpsy wrote:
Touma wrote:
It makes me sad that they got Sword Art Online because I really do want to see that, but I will just buy and watch something else.

Couldn't you just watch it on Crunchyroll if your problem's not being able to watch the show?

No I couldn't, which is part of the problem.
Streaming video is just not an option for me. Neither is any television other than the major broadcast networks.
For me it is home video or nothing.

Last edited by Touma on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex USA licensing Sword Art Online, this is the worst licensing news ever. Unless I can buy it for about $120 with an english dub.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I really was hoping someone else would get Sword Art Online too. Granted it's not over yet and thus I haven't made the decision to buy it yet, but it would be a hell of lot cheaper in someone else's hands. Not to mention, they'll probably pull that sub only garbage again.

The othe two mentioned are on my list of stuff to watch for the new season so we'll see if those are any good later on down the road too.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
For future reference, if Aniplex is part of the production committee, and the show is a smash hit in Japan, don't expect a cheap American release.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ angelmcazares - it's not your place to tell people what they can and cannot bitch about. This isn't called the "Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy Anime News Network." Why should people be happy when AoA cockblocks a title that another NA distrib could put out cheaper? If you don't like people bitching about AoA's prices, that's just too damn bad for you.

I complain about the bitching because it is tedious to navigate through this forum to find opinions not charged with hate. Like others have said it, if you do not like AoA pricing, don't buy from them. No one is pointing a gun at you and forcing you to spend money.

If you happen to love a AoA offering and don't like to pay more that $100 for a series, too bad for you. You and the other chronic complainers might not agree with Aniplex USA business model, but they are in the business of making money, not pleasing stingy costumers.

Some might not like it and complain all they want, but Aniplex USA will not change their pricing structure. If they do not make enough money in the R1 anime market, they will simple leave. They know that 95% of their revenue comes from Japan sales. R1 customers are more or less insignificant for Japanese anime companies.

P.S. Do not worry about my complaining about your complaining. The next time Aniplex USA announces a home release, I will not visit the forum. That way I can avoid this negativity and bitching. One last thing, in 5 weeks I will be enjoying my pricey but great Bakemonogatari home release from Aniplex USA. Oh yeah!!!
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I can see myself buying the Sword Art Online release, provided it's Bakemonogatari level price or better. I can't afford Fate Zero prices and I don't really think it's good enough for Madoka level prices. So, if it's fairly priced, I'll buy, if not then I guess I won't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 21