• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Paradise Found

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
(and DearS did it first. zing!)

Oooh, burn.

SoraOto is significantly better than DearS though.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
When I first saw DMC it was unlicensed and I loved it, it's hysterical. I almost died laughing when Krauser took on the tokyo tower.
I'm definitely going to be picking it up @ Rightstuf during this weeks sentai sale.
I don't think you need to enjoy metal music to like the show though for those on the fence about it. It's primarily a comedy with some music bits. I'd probably say there were fewer parts with just music then Kids on the Slope, but the shorter run time might make it seem otherwise.

I enjoyed the action and dark aspects of Freezing as well. I'd probably rate CPC above Freezing and HLP also though. Freezing and HLP both do well with with their core draws (action/comedy) but CPC had a better over all package, which includes those elements.

Nice shelves this week. I like how Josh used that wide shelf to have front facing dvds and games on both sides. I guess you have it sticking straight out of the wall?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
I'd put them in Key's order, as well. CPC has the best story and the best comedy.

Actually, the cleverness factor is the biggest distinction for me, though I also agree with the factors you mention. Even when being trite, the series still consistently puts in a little extra effort, and it probably has the soundest internal logic of any series of its type. (For instance, how many other series would throw in a mating season for its catgirls but then also include entirely sensible ways to offset the consequences said mating season could have on them?) By comparison, too much of Freezing and the way its world is set up simply doesn't make much sense if one starts analyzing it carefully and HLP pretty much goes with a "logic be damned" approach.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
Mass Effect got Rental Shelf? Why? Wasn't this also made by the same people that did the Dragon Age movie? People called that an awful movie.
batou65

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
girls who've previously been fused into an alien get ejected again

Am I the only one who thought of 18 getting heaved up by Cell just now?
Raikuro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Mass Effect got Rental Shelf? Why? Wasn't this also made by the same people that did the Dragon Age movie? People called that an awful movie.

Dragon Age=Oxybot (known for a few bad movies with dated CG)

Mass Effect= Production I.G. (known for several well made 2D productions)
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
(and DearS did it first. zing!)

Oooh, burn.

SoraOto is significantly better than DearS though.

I doubt the soundtrack's as good.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote
Personally i love Mass Effect and Dragon Age which is why i've been very hesitant to check out those movies...

I agree about DMC, 12 eps. are just right for this kind of humor, anything more would have gotten really repetitive.

And welcome back, Bamboo! Very Happy
revial

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote
I think I like this version of Bamboo.

As for the Mass Effect movie, as much as I loved the games, and the metaverse, and the books, I just can't find it within myself to give two hoots about Vega. I'm not sure how awesome a movie about Vega would have to be for me to shell out money to watch, but I'm fairly confident that level of awesome is impossible to reach.
N.R.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
Welcome back Bamboo! I've missed your opinions on Shelf Life. Erin did a fine job but I tend to agree more with your reviews. It's a pity you won't be reviewing hentai though Laughing
Did you really used to do that? I can't seem to remember such reviews...
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:56 am Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:

Dragon Age=Oxybot (known for a few bad movies with dated CG)

Mass Effect= Production I.G. (known for several well made 2D productions)

Oh...sucks that Dragon Age got a crap job movie, then.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
I think its awesome that Bamboo is back doing the stream. No offense to Erin, but her grading criteria was not all that informative for me when it came to purchases. Plus, our scores for the shows we had both seen only agreed/disagreed around 48%/52%, -- not very informative either way.

Bamboo has this style of writing that teases the plot just enough without being spoilery. She makes me check out stuff that I might not have made time for on my own.

I am a little worried about The Stream. My concern is that the same shows may make the "top 5", while some of the newer shows may never get a proper write-up simply due to them not making the top cut. I found The Stream very informative as to what I should put into my queue, given that I have a limited amount of free time. I'm going to miss that.
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:31 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
Welcome back Bamboo! I've missed your opinions on Shelf Life. Erin did a fine job but I tend to agree more with your reviews. It's a pity you won't be reviewing hentai though Laughing
Did you really used to do that? I can't seem to remember such reviews...
Well, you can go back and read past columns. Here's just a taste:
Quote:
And did I mention that the talking cat has a human-sized... uh... human thing? Isn't that... not normal?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:41 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Not a single mention of Metalocalypse during the DMC review?

Son, I am disappoint.

When I originally saw DMC the whole time I kept thinking "Put this after Metalocalypse on adult swim and you will have the most metal half hour in all existence. It would be so... metal that the metal gods of death and destruction would shed tears of agony."

Glad to see it on shelf worthy.

And even happier to see Bamboo is back. Welcome back!
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
When I originally saw DMC the whole time I kept thinking "Put this after Metalocalypse on adult swim and you will have the most metal half hour in all existence. It would be so... metal that the metal gods of death and destruction would shed tears of agony."

Glad to see it on shelf worthy.

And even happier to see Bamboo is back. Welcome back!

That would make me want to start watching Adult Swim again. I'll have to get the anime to complete my DMC trinity. I'd have no problem with going up to a store counter and buying FREEZING--my love of ecchi is shameless. But my only problem is no-place sells anime DVDs anymore--I'm stuck with buying everything online these days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6