• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - In the Details

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etrien

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote
Looks like Zero's Escape: Virtue's Last Reward will be the game that finally sells me a 3DS. I grew really attached to 999 by the end and would quite enjoy some more. Now if only the darned thing wasn't region locked. Sad Pity, too. I tend to buy both Japanese and American DS games, but I certainly don't feel like buying two different 3DSes just for that.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

- they have been messing around with Wright fans for a while
How so? They release a new Gyakuten Saiban game like every year.

No MEI was released winter of 2010 and that wasn't a real PW game really since it was missing the court sequences and the cases were fairly easy in compression to other titles in the series.
the last real PW game was appolo justice and that was winter of 2008. we are finally getting a new one in PW5 but lets be honest that is still a year or two out. so it might be 6 years between real PW games.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
Looks like Zero's Escape: Virtue's Last Reward will be the game that finally sells me a 3DS. I grew really attached to 999 by the end and would quite enjoy some more. Now if only the darned thing wasn't region locked. Sad Pity, too. I tend to buy both Japanese and American DS games, but I certainly don't feel like buying two different 3DSes just for that.

I'm actually getting this one for the Vita instead...

Gotta blow dust off of the thing sometime!

(that said, I like the hardware a lot, but I have been seriously thirsty for content on the thing... I think it should be good in the next two months though, but it took a while)

That said, yes, New Little King's story is out and I'd like to think that I'm reasonably informed with regards to upcoming game releases and will just have to assume that Konami did a very terrible job marketing the thing (the digital-only thing is probably what really did it).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I think that franchise died long ago. 2 and 3 were the peak, but 4 and Dragon Quarter were just disappointing. Not to mention Dragon Quarter got abysmal sales. Don't think it's their fault the franchise just died off if no one bought that last few games. I love 2 and 3 to death, but sometimes franchises just get lost in time and fade away.

BoF4 was fine. It was DQ that really sunk the series with its ridiculous setup. It was their own fault for designing such a dismal and uninteresting game that ruined BoF. No, I'm not a hater, it's just the only BoF I couldn't stand.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Actually X, Zero, and Tron are in in Project × Zone which just got released last week.

Though really given Inafune's departure, they may not want to touch the character too much since he was the guy who helped create him and working on him without the creator isn't really their main priority. I know "Capcom" and "not milking" is kind of a funny thing to say, but hey.

Saying Inafune helped create Mega Man is kind of a misnomer. He can't even be credited as a co-creator as the only thing he did in the original game was artwork and he was brought on after most of the work had already been done. Saying he created Mega Man is like saying Yoshitaka Amano created Final Fantasy.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
- they cancelled BOF and put it in a coffin, at least if not more 3rd party companies said they would be willig to develop, Capcom told them to shove off

I think that franchise died long ago. 2 and 3 were the peak, but 4 and Dragon Quarter were just disappointing. Not to mention Dragon Quarter got abysmal sales. Don't think it's their fault the franchise just died off if no one bought that last few games. I love 2 and 3 to death, but sometimes franchises just get lost in time and fade away.

Quote:
- at least 3 franchise went down the drain under their watch - RE, DMC, and Lost Planet

That's all opinion.. lots of people still like those franchises.

Quote:
- they have been messing around with Wright fans for a while

How so? They release a new Gyakuten Saiban game like every year.

Quote:
edit: Oh and I forgot, the only other game that anyone wants, at least on this site, the anime inspired lost planet EX, they already said we wont get it.

Not sure if you can blame stuff not being brought over to the US on them. Blame the western market that doesn't allow it to succeed here, or other factors like the economy/currency exchange rates.

Regarding BOF, companies came to Capcom and said if you think the game series is dead, then we will develop it costs and all. Capcom was basically going to make money with no work because someone else would take the risk. And they said no. And I am pretty sure it was a well respected rpg maker as well. If capcom thought it was dead , so what, others were willing to take the risk.

Do you even read reviews plus peoples opinions. RE 5 is generally viewed negatively but still acceptable. ORC and RE 6 have been ripped left and right by both critics and gamers. Lost planet 2 almost killed the franchise due to dismal sales, and once again poor reviews across the board. And with DMC, people actually liked 3 and 4, there was no need to westernize it, but oh no says capcom.

I am not going to take a survey of every single person that has played these games when evidence more than backs up my claims. Yes some people like them, hell I am sure somebody liked Et for the atari, doesnt mean if a minority likes a game its got any merit.

Regarding wright, I like the game but not as much as my die hard buddy. But like someone else said, the last full game was apollo way back when.

Ill admit yes there are some business decisions in play with releasing a game like ex troopers; but still games of that nature have been successful in the US and ultimately its up to capcom to release if they want, which they dont. So I am free to criticize them just like others criticized nintendo over LS, PT, and Xenoblade.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Regarding BOF, companies came to Capcom and said if you think the game series is dead, then we will develop it costs and all. Capcom was basically going to make money with no work because someone else would take the risk. And they said no. And I am pretty sure it was a well respected rpg maker as well. If capcom thought it was dead , so what, others were willing to take the risk.

That's a pretty common business practice. Companies don't want to sell or license out their franchises so other people can make money of them. Companies have been burned on this before.

Quote:
Do you even read reviews plus peoples opinions. RE 5 is generally viewed negatively but still acceptable

Reviews should be taken with a grain of salt, and I couldn't care less what 'general opinion' says, because general opinion is so easy to spin and manipulate in your favor. For example, RE6 sold almost 5 million copies already, so obviously people enjoy playing it, while the haters spend their time bashing it on message boards.

Quote:
Regarding wright, I like the game but not as much as my die hard buddy. But like someone else said, the last full game was apollo way back when.

The Kenji games still count, to say they don't makes no sense; especially with how loved they were in Japan.

Quote:
Ill admit yes there are some business decisions in play with releasing a game like ex troopers; but still games of that nature have been successful in the US and ultimately its up to capcom to release if they want, which they don't. So I am free to criticize them just like others criticized nintendo over LS, PT, and Xenoblade.

You can criticize them if you want, but it has no effect on them as a company or the state of the market. All that matters is the Japanese market and if the game was made in the first place. The west is always getting screwed out of Japanese games, it's been that way since the NES days. I'm a Tales fan and we miss out on so many titles, but I'm not criticizing Namco because I know they sell like crap here and there's little to no market for them. Just import them if you want to play them, or emulate them.

I just know as a Rockman fan I'm satisfied and happy. I got a bunch of good games, not to mention like 8 great anime series to watch. Capcom's one of the better companies about anime adaptions of video games, most don't even bother. They really push them for franchises, like giving a Viewtiful Joe a 52 episode anime and 4 games despite the series selling like crap. They pushed that franchise hard, but gamers just didn't like it. Shame. And it's sad when I see people saying Capcom 'abandoned' that franchise despite all the pushing they gave it and practically bending over backwards for it. Fans can be really bitter sometimes I find.
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

BoF4 was fine. It was DQ that really sunk the series with its ridiculous setup. It was their own fault for designing such a dismal and uninteresting game that ruined BoF. No, I'm not a hater, it's just the only BoF I couldn't stand.

BoF4 was bland and forgettable. Its probably why they felt the need to change so much up with Dragon Quarter. While 4 might not have sucked, I do think it set the stage for the suck that was Dragon Quarter.
animefan425

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Todd Ciolek wrote:
Yes, an otaku-targeted RPG is once again pandering to its fans by mocking them.
[...]
Mugen Souls comes up with a lot of material. But how much of that material will be downright creepy?

Todd, why is it that every article I read of you has to mock the fans of the so-called "otaku-targeted" games? It's getting really ridiculous, to be honest. If you don't like those games fine, it's your tastes after all. But that doesn't give you the right of mock and ridicule the people you pejoratively call "otaku" just because they have different tastes than yours.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
animefan425 wrote:
Todd Ciolek wrote:
Yes, an otaku-targeted RPG is once again pandering to its fans by mocking them.
[...]
Mugen Souls comes up with a lot of material. But how much of that material will be downright creepy?

Todd, why is it that every article I read of you has to mock the fans of the so-called "otaku-targeted" games? It's getting really ridiculous, to be honest. If you don't like those games fine, it's your tastes after all. But that doesn't give you the right of mock and ridicule the people you pejoratively call "otaku" just because they have different tastes than yours.

It often makes me wonder why he's working on an anime site if he finds stuff thats standard fare in anime "Creepy". Thats supposed to be the job of mainstream reviewers who are foreign to anime culture.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3