• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kiddy Girl-and (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
I know, just didn't take the time to go there. They are married after all (still, I assume), so who knows how much of whose style we're seeing Smile. Rayearth's CLAMP characters she designed for the anime even hint of a style similarity back then.

She can definitely do other styles, though, e.g. the Clannad movie, so I was thinking of her designing here as more a proxy for what Gotoh would have done. Probably better to consider the current design style at least fully co-created at this point.

For both of those she was doing the animation character designs for pre-existing characters, not designing her own from scratch. I think you can see more of her "style" in Vampire Princess Miyu but in that case they went the other way, through the filter of another character designer for the anime (as with Gigantic Formula).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode Seven. I guess it hasn't made enough of an impression on anyone since I seem to be the first to belatedly report on it.

This is the first episode of the new series that actually made me feel like I was watching something from the "good old days" of the original series. Yes, Ascoeur and Q-feuille, and Dia, can be a little silly at times, but they were actually trying to be helpful and serious in the episode, for once.

Although they are just trainees, and the other ES members (whose names escape me at the moment) were doing most of the heavy lifting, it was still good to see them in action. I would be curious to see what would happen if Q-feuille really went all out with her spoiler[ predicting the future] abilities. spoiler[They alluded to her using it in the episode but seemed to skip over actually seeing how they put it to use.]

spoiler[One of the things that got an honest laugh out of me were some of the yuri-laced jokes going on while they were on route to the warship construction site. It makes you wonder about those full fledged ES members... Wink ]

I guess it remains to be seen if this will work into a larger, more serious plot line, but it was definitely a better episode this time around.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Episode Seven. I guess it hasn't made enough of an impression on anyone since I seem to be the first to belatedly report on it.

Like I said earlier, I log my comments via my blog rather than repeat them on every site I visit. The episode has been discussed on for forums of at least three other sites and around four other blogs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote
Episode Eight. Wow, it only took seven episodes of various subject matter to finally lead up to what is finally going on. It seems like the more serious bits of the various shows were introducing us to various characters that were on the "center stage" here. spoiler[It's interesting that it's the nobles with their origins from Earth are in the spotlight again and want payback for what happened in the first Kiddy Grade series (and maybe subsequently too). So they are going directly after the ES members, one would that Ascouer and Q-feuille will step up in ways we can't imagine yet. (you gotta make the main heroines look good! Wink )]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm still wondering when the heck spoiler[Eclaire and Lumiaire are going to turn up again or just what the heck happened to them if not that.]

It's good the story's finally kicked into gear though.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Alright, if no one else wants to chime in, I will: Episode Nine. Much to my surprise it was pretty exciting and action packed, for a change. spoiler[You get to see the standard strategy of The G Society trying to make the GTO look bad in public through tricks and misdirection. And we get to see some battles between good and bad ES members. Even thought it was explained maybe the good guys capabilities were researched before the attack, I still expected a little more fight from them. ]

And don't get me started about Trixie and Troisenne. spoiler[It's cool to see that they are truly powerful, but for them to get punked and (possibly) killed by the G Society leader? And all Ascouer and Q'feuille could do is cry above them? Dia was standing right there. I kept telling the screen "Dia, kiss them!!" (Thinking that her power transfer might have been able to help them) And they keep hinting that Q-feuille has some future viewing powers, but apparently they didn't kick in to even save T & T.]

Also, has anyone else noticed that Trixie and Troisenne kinda sorta visually reminds you of a couple of top-notch ES members from the prior series? Hair color, eye color, it just make me wonder a little.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Also, has anyone else noticed that Trixie and Troisenne kinda sorta visually reminds you of a couple of top-notch ES members from the prior series? Hair color, eye color, it just make me wonder a little.

They've been dropping enough hints, but since there also things that don't sit straight with this it may be misdirection but it almost certainly isn't as simple as a change of name.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I felt that the attempt at drama in the latest episode fell flat on its face. But that's the end of the episode, I've got a couple other things to bring up first.

Security. We know the ES members aren't rookies and that they spent considerable time planning for this event, but they were caught with their pants down. They've been doing this for how many years and still were completely unprepared when the enemy showed up? That they were so easily wiped out, too, was disappointing. They've had a few run-ins with some of these people already, so shouldn't they have some info on them and react according to what they know? Apparently not.

Okay, now for the failed drama. spoiler[To start with, the death scene was so overplayed I actually laughed at it a couple times.

So, Trixie and Tron are dead. Why should I care? They're new characters, and they got minimal development, so I've got no emotional attachment to them. But they were inspiring superiors to the main duo (Oscar and Q). Whom I also don't particularly care about, as they spent over half of the episodes so far having wacky, irritating hijinx.

Of course, that's assuming Eclaire, Lumiere, and Eclipse are actually dead due to the unexplained disaster that's been alluded to in the series. An alternative is that Trixe and Tron were Eclaire and Lumiere in disguise (for some reason?), and the bit about G-class ability this episode hint at this possibility. In that case, there's nothing to worry about since that means their deaths are, once again, not permanent. They did this in the first season, too, except I cared about it then.]

Also, in Kiddy Grade, when Eclaire and Lumiere spoiler[had to go off on their own], we'd seen that they were at least somewhat competent. Oscar and Q have barely demonstrated their capabilities so far, and I assume they're now going to be thrust into the action. I'm not thrilled about this.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Whether it is wanted or not, I'll try to once again jump start this under-loved discussion of this series on the past two eps. (10 & 11)

We finally get to see Ascoeur and Q-feuille get into a bit of fighting action, although spoiler[it took Dia getting into a spot of trouble to make it happen. Even so, it was interesting that she picked up on G-Society recon unit out there in the woods. It was nice to see how much her genetic pet was willing to do to try to protect her too.]

When Ascoeur and Q-feuille actually had to step up and do some real work I was surprised that their powered-up powers spoiler[were practically identical to Trixie and Troisenne.] I'm not quite sure what that means yet.

Episode 11 was a little different in that we got to see a little closer look at the "ES members" of G-Society. It was interesting to see how the leader of the G-Society was spoiler[using his ES members to spy on one another, as well as using that maid. I could see such a tactic backfiring on him, but his powers will probably keep his charges in line. The inclusion of the maid are her interaction with some of the people was kind of funny at times too.]

Considering where we are in Episode 11, I find it hard to believe that this is a 13 episode series. You would think they would have to do alot of plot resolution in a short amount of time. We'll see how it goes...
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
No way it's only 13 episodes, as episode 12 was only an explanation of where the villain came from and the incident from the prologue, as well as spoiler[having Oscar, Q, and Dia meeting up with Eclair's "son" in order to increase their motivation for ultimately saving Eclair and Lumiere.] The preview for episode 13 is a beach episode.

As for why Oscar and Q have spoiler[the exact same abilities as Trixie and Tron, maybe their both some of the clones of Eclair and Lumiere, as it's also stated in episode 12 that they have the same abilities as those two as well.]

Episode 12 also raises the question of spoiler[what happened to Eclipse? She's clearly outside the time freeze, as she's the one who saved Armburst, who is now (sans memories) confirmed to be Sommer, and Mercredi as Hiver, so Eclipse is ...? Dia?]
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
It is definitely 24 episodes - the DVD and BD count confirm it, as does the TV schedule. I even added airdates for the remaining 12 episodes to the encyclopaedia once they were available.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Episode 12 also raises the question of spoiler[what happened to Eclipse? She's clearly outside the time freeze, as she's the one who saved Armburst, who is now (sans memories) confirmed to be Sommer, and Mercredi as Hiver, so Eclipse is ...? Dia?]

That's an interesting possibility that I hadn't considered. But given the nature of her powers, that makes sense.

I also found it very interesting that, in episode 10, spoiler[the gravestone for Trixie that Ascoeur was looking at was marked "Eclair."] I thought I knew what that meant, but in light of episode 12, now I'm not so sure.

And surely others found it interesting that, in episode 12, spoiler[we were introduced to a man who is supposed to be Eclair's adopted son who not only looks almost exactly like D'Autriche but even has a shortened version of his name (i.e. "Che" vs. "Chevalier"). If Eclair really did decide to "play house" again then the parallels are creepy.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I also found it very interesting that, in episode 10, spoiler[the gravestone for Trixie that Ascoeur was looking at was marked "Eclair."] I thought I knew what that meant, but in light of episode 12, now I'm not so sure.

I noticed that too, but spoiler[Tron's gravestone also said "Eclair", and not "Lumiere",] so that confused me.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And surely others found it interesting that, in episode 12, spoiler[we were introduced to a man who is supposed to be Eclair's adopted son who not only looks almost exactly like D'Autriche but even has a shortened version of his name (i.e. "Che" vs. "Chevalier"). If Eclair really did decide to "play house" again then the parallels are creepy.]

spoiler["Che" was the name of the baby in the Kiddy Grade epilogue. The Conclusion book confirms that he was a reborn Chevalier.]

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Key wrote:

I noticed that too, but spoiler[Tron's gravestone also said "Eclair", and not "Lumiere",] so that confused me.

spoiler[They messed up the graphics for the tombstones. In some shots Troisienne's clearly looks different to Trixie's but in the shot where it is clearest they pasted Trixie's in instead, and Trixie's own headstone was backwards in the same shot.]
Tauris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote
I have to say that this new series just doesn't match up to the original. We're on episode 15 now with up to ep. 13 subbed and the series is still crap. The show is more then half done and nothings happened yet. They really need to get a move on.

Asco is such an annoying and inconpetent character that I really just can't care about her.

Q doesn't really do anything but sit there in shock and awe about the things that are going on asround her.

And Dia, why is she even there...?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6