• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Weekly Shonen Jump Editors Discuss Unauthorized Copies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Juhachi wrote:
Only certain series ever get licensed in English

Right; and scanlators can purchase volumes of unlicensed-and-unlikely-to-be-licensed series, scan them in-house for the team to work on, and only release the English translations, thereby eliminating Shueisha's legitimate concerns about having scanned copies of their material available for Japanese to download. This is really going to only affect series that are scanlated as soon as they come out from raws posted online for anyone to get.

Of course, it'll also affect anyone who likes to read the original Japanese for fun and practice. Ah well, I've got four volumes' worth of Master Keaton in Japanese on my shelf, legally purchased, I'll keep plowing through that.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dragonpiece

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Dragonpiece wrote:
While I think this is wrong, I will still sadly support it since their is literally no way American fans can see the latest chapters of something until it is available in the country.

If you like the magazine, you could get a subscription to it. Plenty of websites offer them for any of the major magazines (I pick up a few myself). That wiould, of course, involve paying for it.
Are you talking about SJ monthly in US? Then yes, I am already subscribed to that. If you are talking about weekly jump, the no I am probably never going to pay for it because of the high prices(in the 3,000$ range) and because I don't know Japanese.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

It's a whole different situation. First off, many scanlators aren't as concerned with quality and copyediting--it's not uncommon to find mistakes, mistranslations, and bad editing in a scanlation; even ones who are, it's rare to find anything that will match the quality of a good publisher.

If you want quality then you wait for the Viz releases. If you want speed then you go with the fanscans, everybody wins. But you can't tell me that "just wait for the Viz releases" would ever be a valid alternative to fanscans to people who DO care about speed over quality. There are two different products on offer, and they can't convince people to abandon the fanscans until they're prepared to release both quality AND speed themselves.

Except that fans do not need manga nor do they have the right to read it for free when it's being released in their own country. If you want to read the latest scans and buy the books later, good for you, but too many people use the scans and nothing else. Would it be great for VIZ to "simul-release" manga chapters? Sure. But that doesn't give anyone the legal right to read the chapters online.

It's not that I haven't used scanlations are think people who do are terrible, evil people. I understand that it has helped push lesser known series to popularity. But it's licensed. To think that I have a right to a material I don't own and haven't paid for is preposterous. I acknowledge that people only using scans are going to continue to use them, but I doubt the ones leeching off the internet are going to pay for a service to read simul manga. The people are do pay are going to be the ones who buy the books in the first place; however, it also depends on how such a service would work and if it would be free.

For speed of volume releases: there really isn't anything anyone can do about it. It can take a bit to get a volume from a bunch of raw material to an English adaptation sitting in the bookstore. Rushing it may hurt the quality rather than persuade scanlation readers.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

It's a whole different situation. First off, many scanlators aren't as concerned with quality and copyediting--it's not uncommon to find mistakes, mistranslations, and bad editing in a scanlation; even ones who are, it's rare to find anything that will match the quality of a good publisher.

If you want quality then you wait for the Viz releases. If you want speed then you go with the fanscans, everybody wins. But you can't tell me that "just wait for the Viz releases" would ever be a valid alternative to fanscans to people who DO care about speed over quality. There are two different products on offer, and they can't convince people to abandon the fanscans until they're prepared to release both quality AND speed themselves.

Except that fans do not need manga nor do they have the right to read it for free when it's being released in their own country. If you want to read the latest scans and buy the books later, good for you, but too many people use the scans and nothing else. Would it be great for VIZ to "simul-release" manga chapters? Sure. But that doesn't give anyone the legal right to read the chapters online.

It's not that I haven't used scanlations are think people who do are terrible, evil people. I understand that it has helped push lesser known series to popularity. But it's licensed. To think that I have a right to a material I don't own and haven't paid for is preposterous. I acknowledge that people only using scans are going to continue to use them, but I doubt the ones leeching off the internet are going to pay for a service to read simul manga. The people are do pay are going to be the ones who buy the books in the first place; however, it also depends on how such a service would work and if it would be free.

For speed of volume releases: there really isn't anything anyone can do about it. It can take a bit to get a volume from a bunch of raw material to an English adaptation sitting in the bookstore. Rushing it may hurt the quality rather than persuade scanlation readers.

Lol - actually, there is something somebody can do about it.

Its called illegally scanning, translating, and posting manga online.

Hmmm....lets see. Weekly Shonen Jump posting a plea to the readers? LOL. That's rich. I suppose they figure the scanlators would post that part too?

I just don't understand these companies. This isn't going to help them at all. And you know what? Neither are legal battles. We may not have a right to the manga - but effectively, the digital age monster has ripped their rights away from them. Know what I mean? They can't sue the people who post this stuff. They can barely find out who they are. And the amount of money needed to sink in international litigation is astounding. If they're seeing lower profits, they DEFINITELY don't have the money to pay for an investigation or heaven forbid lawsuits.

And even if every scanlator was carted off to prison tomorrow, they'd just be replaced.

These companies are laughable in their execution of this. What they need is a business strategy. What are they paying their staff to do? PRAY?! They need to figure out a way to adapt to the new digital age where people want things. Fast, but with quality as well. If they don't adapt, they're gonna fold like any other business. Blaming the consumers for finding creative (even illegal - but if the law doesn't solve your problems.....well.....) ways to save money is pointless.

I'll tell you what else too. Its the same issue the print media in America is going through. Nobody reads newspapers anymore - but newspapers don't want to shut down the printing presses even though revenue just dropped into the basement.

*shrugs*

It'll be interesting to see what happens. For now, I wouldn't worry if you like reading your WSJ every week illegally. Nobody's gonna have the wherewithall to take it down. And just shaming the fans into not reading? What's next? Inviting them to tea and cookies with the mangaka in Japan? Buy me a ticket!
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Although it's illegal... you can't stop it...

You just can't... l
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Pedestrian A wrote:
Although it's illegal... you can't stop it...

You just can't... l

What they need is something that effectively undercuts it. Something fresh. I've thought about it, and there are a few models that seem promising. I've heard others discuss it anyways.

But I'm of the school that thinks its possible. Whining pleas to the fans is last on the list of helpful business strategies. Of course, I've found most Japanese companies responses to new markets and new realities to be slow and teetering. They really did resist even trying to adapt for the longest time. Now that its come to lower sales, they come cap in hand wondering where to turn to.

Laws? Nope. Laws and litigation cost big time. Not only that, but they're talking about influencing governments that aren't Japanese. Never gonna happen.

Fans? Nope. They're the ones who'll do whatever helps their pocketbooks. There are a lot of considerate fans out there anyways. Smacking them across the face by telling them can't read the manga now when they're the ones who buy it anyways is just wrong (not legally, but in a business sense).

Gotta come from within. Change the entire business model.
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
Oh do stop the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth. We all know perfectly well you're incapable of restraining yourself and waiting patiently for your cartoon books.

You already mock the "old model industry" and tell them to "get with the times", so why let a little thing like a plea for restraint stop you? We all know if the mangaka him or herself asked you personally not to pirate their works, you wouldn't be able to stop yourself. Why not scamper from the forums and be off to the scanlation sites now? There may yet be free content you're missing out on!

But I guess it isn't the publisher's right to publish in their own magazine a request to please follow the law as it is currently set up. Such things might make one uncomfortable.

If the amount of energy invested in defending piracy in online forums were channeled to a productive use, say... learning Japanese, one might be able to purchase the manga and watch the anime just as it came out! But don't let me suggest the undertaking of any effort on your part. It just wouldn't be right.
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
Dragonpiece wrote:
Draneor wrote:
Dragonpiece wrote:
While I think this is wrong, I will still sadly support it since their is literally no way American fans can see the latest chapters of something until it is available in the country.

If you like the magazine, you could get a subscription to it. Plenty of websites offer them for any of the major magazines (I pick up a few myself). That wiould, of course, involve paying for it.
Are you talking about SJ monthly in US? Then yes, I am already subscribed to that. If you are talking about weekly jump, the no I am probably never going to pay for it because of the high prices(in the 3,000$ range) and because I don't know Japanese.

You can get a year's subscription to Shonen Jump from Sasuga Bookstore for $552 including postage. That's about $11 bucks an issue which isn't bad since it includes weekly overseas shipping plus the bad Yen/USD exchange rate right now.

I don't blame Shueisha in the slightest for doing this. SJ titles are some of the most widely distributed and readily available manga titles out there (both in Japan and overseas).Unfortunately this is something that should have happened long ago. It's no small secret that the manga industry is hurting badly right now and every yen/dollar counts. These publishers have been pushed into a corner by so called fans that have started to push to far. I have a feeling Shueisha (along with many other manga companies) have not wanted to step on the "fans" toes for fear of a backlash so they've allowed for this to go on this long. They are taking the right steps to try and push back a little and gain some control over their property again. And it's already having an immediate effect.
ELDRAGON

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
they would have to shut down every single site like Onemanga that hosts scans and then open their own site that charges us for each chapter we read... damn that sounds horrible
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
sunflower wrote:
The actual full statement, in Japanese, and a translation can seen at Anime Vice. It seems to be pointed at those posting raws, since the message is only in Japanese.

I'd say it applies to both, seeing as most of the big series in Jump it's talking about are readily available in english from VIZ. I'm curious if VIZ'll comment on it, I'm hoping ANN will talk with them about it- having a similar message printed in SJ USA would be nice to see

SJ won't address scanlations because they would see it as not being their place, considering they don't have the rights to sell the books in English, having sold them elsewhere. Viz has English printing rights and it's up to them to address it.

sdhd wrote:
If the raws posting are taken down from the sites that host them this will not allow scanlators to get them off the internet in the first place.

Um, no, most scanlators buy the material themselves and scan it, so this has little effect on them.
Megaman42xX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:35 am Reply with quote
I doubt they'd ever fully take away these sites. Onemanga will pull a manga off if they're asked to so I think they know about these sites and are basically okay with them. Like the letter said "Unauthorized uploads" instead of something like all uploads. This could mean that certain uploads are authorized. I read online scanlations of a few series that I buy. FMA I buy when it's released in the US, I've got all 22 volumes on my shelf but I'd still like to read what's released as soon as possible. And no one's even licensed Psyren which I would buy right now if I could. I wouldn't even know about Psyren if I wasn't able to view it on Onemanga so it's more like free advertising for them from my standpoint. I understand that a lot of people don't even buy when it comes to the US and those people are dicks. They should just make on online version of some of the magazines and translate it. There's an obvious market for them. And make it so you could either get a discount on the online magazine or just subscribe to a few series. And make it so you could get a discount when a volume comes out in print for those that do subscribe. Even though a mostly read FMA online it's still nice to have a hard copy to take up shelf space.
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:

SJ won't address scanlations because they would see it as not being their place, considering they don't have the rights to sell the books in English, having sold them elsewhere. Viz has English printing rights and it's up to them to address it.

Shonen Jump USA is published by Viz and Viz is partially owned by Shueisha. It is completely reasonable to assume a similar message might be put out in SJUSA.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:11 am Reply with quote
I can buy the series in English and fairly 1:1 with the JP release? Yeah, go nuts, I'll support your nonsense.

Can't do that? Sorry, no sale.

Look, I'd love to buy Magical Circle Guru Guru, but it ain't in english, it'll probably never be in english legaly so I'm kinda stuck.
Ditto Seto No Hanayome, shame on YenPress on that one.

Ok, they're not Shuesha (AFIK on GuruGuru) but it's the same idea, there's a ton of (good) SJ stuff that will, for whatever reason, will never get a US release and, unfortunately, that means scanlations.

If Shuesha want to release these things in English, great I wish the best for them, but something tells me that's not going to be the case.
People will still be able to read The big three, it's the lesser stuff that's going to suffer.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:53 am Reply with quote
These mangaka are soooo ungrateful! Don't they realise how popular scanlations are making them around the world? They better stop pissing off the fans else they will have to suffer the consequences!
[/sarcasm]
plethebest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
Siliva wrote:
Quote:
The Japanese manga publishers are behind the game of scanlation on the internet? The publishers should stop blaming internet sites and take responsibility for not utilizing the internet to its fullest potential. The publishers did not take control of the problem when it first occur and now want people to stop reading scanlation after all these years. So, due to the drop in sales the publishers are blaming the scanlation sites and crying out about how much it hurt the creators involved in producing manga (guilt trip).

This makes me sick to my stomach. What if you were a manga artist, and had your only means of a living broken because a group of "fans" don't have patience? You can't simply blame everything on the publishers and attack for game. The "fans" like you are at fault for not realizing that what scanslations are is essentially stealing.

In fact you are both right. The best way to tackle the problem is to deal with the cause to lower demand for these types of sites, heavy handed methods just don't work as proven time and time again. Many fans don't have the patience to wait for the release where they are and translate, but then the release dates for some manga, even the best selling manga is poor, waiting months between volumes of manga released in Japan a few years ago, also the problem of all those mangas that never get fully released or not at all out side Japan.

Its the same problem for anime/music/films regardless of where they originate and the truth is that mainly, only pirates (regardless if you this they are a good or bad thing) make full use and don't region block of the distribution system known as the Internet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9