• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Dirty Pair: Project Eden

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:55 am Reply with quote
Just another voice to say how much Buried Treasure was so enjoyable. I was going to list off my personal favorites, but the list became way too long, so I'll just mention my two absolute favorites:
Eat-Man (I personally differ with Justin in that I prefer Eat-man '98 over the original anime, but the original is definitely a true original and both titles are truly ones that deserve another chance to shine over here)
Panzer Dragoon (This piece made me watch the OVA... Which then made me make a "Let's Watch" video to try to insult it properly; just search YouTube for it)

Thanks for the great articles, Justin, and here's hoping that the next one won't be as far away as it seems like it will be. I'd rather Buried Treasure be the Bastard!! of ANN instead of the Hunter X Hunter of ANN.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
I, too, would like to say how much I enjoyed Buried Treasure. It was easily my favorite column on the site. I can remember eagerly anticipating Thursday morning just for a new Buried Treasure. I knew the end was coming, but I'm still sad to see it go. I shall await your review of Rose of Versailles, a show which I absolutely loved.

To anyone who also really liked Buried Treasure, I suggest listening to Anime World Order, since they tend to review older titles as well. Between Buried Treasure and AWO, I've found some very good titles to check out.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
A lot of Dirty Pair fans don't like Warren's adaptations. They feel that the character personalities are changed too much.

A little ironic considering how inconsistant the characterizations are across the various incarnations of the anime, let alone the novels.

And I should say that I've really enjoyed reading Buried Treasure, and I'm looking forward to it whenever it shows itself again.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
Now this is a classic. It's funny out of the 3 films, 'Affair of Nolandia', '005 Conspiracy' and 'Eden', 'Eden is the most memorable. It's the one 'Dirty Pair' film I remember during the early days of "trading" anime tapes.

I finally managed after a long wait to acquire 2 copies of the set from 'Buy.com' back in 2008. The 2nd copy I gave to a close friend as a gift. Because he [like me] remembers those fond memories watching and loving this film.

As I look as this review I noticed the first clip. Which is the perfect clip as many remember it. The song "Matters to Me" runs through my head.

I really need to watch this again, because to be honest I never knew what the story was about. As I saw it "raw". But yet, it's a piece from my past, that nostalgia that says "you'd be a fool to let me go."
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of people saying I really enjoyed Buried Treasure/Garbage and that I look forward to reading it whenever you're inspired to write it. I was kind of surprised the column was on such a regular schedule in the first place, honestly. I do hope you continue to write new installments when you find the time/inspiration, and when you're really done, when you've dug up all the buried treasure you can find...well, am I the only one who'd pony up to buy a collection in book form? Even if it was a POD book from Lulu.com or whatever, I still think this column would be worthy of inclusion in anyone's anime reference library.

I'm also looking forward to Jason Thompson's new column. I loved the hell out of Manga: The Complete Guide and it's clear the guy knows his stuff, and I enjoy his writing a lot. Should be good!

Dirty Pair is a great way to go out. Dirty Pair: Affair on Nolandia was one of the very first anime I saw, and while I saw Project Eden eventually, I didn't get to see it nearly as many times as I did AoN and Flight 005 Conspiracy (both of which were in stock at my local Blockbuster, unlike Project Eden). I agree wholeheartedly about the dubs, too....the Streamline dubs are so superior it isn't even funny. Maybe if the DP TV series is a big enough success, Nozomi can reissue the DP movies with the old dubs? A guy can dream, can't he?

tempest wrote:
Wooga wrote:
Anyone who likes Dirt Pair should check out the BADASS American adaptation by Adam Warren. It has some of the most hands-down awesome, over the top action scenes I've ever read.

A lot of Dirty Pair fans don't like Warren's adaptations. They feel that the character personalities are changed too much. I have to agree that they are quite different, especially Yuri. But personally, I also love Adam Warren's Dirty Pair.

I love Warren's Dirty Pair stuff, too. I saw Affair on Nolandia within days of buying the first issue of "Dirty Pair: Fatal But Not Serious" and so I've never really known a time where I knew one version of the characters and not the other.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yurijuri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad to see that this column won't be updated often. It's exposed me to some interesting shows (never thought I would pick up Virtua Fighter). Thanks for your work!

I've seen both Project Eden and Affair on Nolandia. Both were fun to watch, though I liked Nolandia a bit more. Kei and Yuri might have really outdated looks, but I think their teamwork doesn't fade. It would be great to see more characters like them in present day anime.
moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I've really enjoyed this column, and I am looking forward to the Legend of the Galactic Heroes write up. I got into the show...I dunno, a while ago, but I only made it to episode 26 before I just got sidetracked.

The new manga feature will be awesome for me, too, as I'm so far out of the loop on manga it isn't even funny. I went back to school about 7 years ago, and it was pretty intense so I lost track of everything that wasn't school. I go to Borders or what have you and feel like I don't even know where to start. So yeah, some recommendations would be nice...

Also, I'll suggest that, if you ever wanted to, you could revisit more current series and do some write-ups a-la Rodger Ebert's Great Movies feature. I know I dig reading that stuff and would love to see stuff like that even for series that aren't quite so lost in time.
Somnium

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I also would like to just mention how much I loved seeing the new Buried Treasure column every few weeks. I won't claim to have watched every movie that you've reviewed, but since I started following the column I have found quite a few great hidden gems.

I will never forget the column that caught my eye, Heroic Legend of Arslan. And of course, the most memorable show that I found through your column, Hotori, The Simple Hope for Joy.

Well, again, I'm sorry to see the column become even less of a regular installment on ANN, but change is good and I'm excited to see some new things. Thanks for the years of insight into some movies I would have most certainly never found.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Buried Treasure is my favorite column, so I'm sad to see it slow to a crawl. The column has gotten me to check out a few titles, like Touch (Thank you Justin!) and Ki*me*ra (Damn you Justin!), with a sizeable chunk of the 101 columns on my radar. I'm looking forward to a Fighting Spirit BT. Smile I can't say that I'm excited for House of 1000 Manga, because I don't read manga, but I also don't collect figures and I like Astro Toy, so who knows.

Keep up the good work on the podcast, the occasional column, the vidoes and the as yet unannounced projects!
TheTheory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I knew this announcement was coming... between comments from Justin himself about a lack of materials, and the lack of regular updates. Still, Buried Treasure/Garbage was my favorite column and one that I mined frequently for cheap Amazon purchases. Thanks for all the columns to this point... and I look forward to whatever random BT/G column we might get in the future.

Quote:
am I the only one who'd pony up to buy a collection in book form? Even if it was a POD book from Lulu.com or whatever, I still think this column would be worthy of inclusion in anyone's anime reference library.

Have to agree with this. That would be an instant buy for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pakopakojr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Has it been nearly 4 years since Robot Carnival?
I've always thrown a cheer whenever I saw these monthly columns. It felt nice to find someone who wasn't afraid of going back in time and dusting off an old VHS tape. It didn't hurt that I felt some pride and joy in seeing many of these tapes (and DVDs) in my personal collection (Dennai Shoujo Ai, Koko wa Greenwood, Eat-man, etc)

Sure there were some shows I consider modern unsung heroes (Alien Nine, Serial Experiments Lain) than buried treasure. But then there were material that were so out there, 'Hideaki Anno Talks to Kids' for example, to which I chuckle at. And the immortal Marmalade Boy series was covered. It was one of those pioneering age-old shows that was brought over almost a decade after the show went off the air (and about 5 years after fansubbers finished -- and remastered -- the series).

Going through the archives, I also stumbled upon new articles, mainly the Garbage ones like Idol Fighter Su-Chi-Pai, that are still a treat to read. And dear gods, how did I miss that horrible western Sailor Moon at the end of Nurse Angel Ririka the first time? (The link is now broken, but its content is all over YouTube.)

Quote:
"I hate writing about anime people have no chance of seeing; I feel like a tease."

Justin Sevakis: writer, columnist, tease, educator. Even if things were mentioned as rare, import-only, or out of print, just having something written about them piques one's curiosity. I was never able to obtain a copy of Grey: Digital Target, but I did dig out the old Viz/Eclipse comics that were translated. And it was indeed enjoyable.

Even though Justin says the material in his past may be winding down, it doesn't mean new treasure can't be found. Iria: Zeiram the Animation, with designs from Katsura (DNAA, Video Girl Ai), Homeroom Affairs (a light-hearted ecchi OAV), Ruin Explorers (an unfinished OAV conceptually similar to Slayers), Dragon Half (one of the pioneers of off-the-wall wackiness), Photon: the Idiot Menace (a self-aware show about stupid people), The Irresponsible Captain (though this might be TRSI's flagship series)...

To Justin! To the future! Kampai!
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
pakopakojr wrote:
Homeroom Affairs (a light-hearted ecchi OAV)

Oh, man, I had forgotten Homeroom Affairs even existed! I remember that show getting a particularly negative review from Animerica back in the day and raising the ire of a LOT of people. I don't think I ever saw Homeroom Affairs, but one ecchi release that always struck me as a cut above was End of Summer (disclaimer: I haven't seen it in probably 10 years). The sequel was garbage, but that first movie struck me as a really heartfelt, adult drama.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Dirty Pair was the first anime I ever watched outside of what was available on American TV. I was first exposed to it at the Atlanta Fantasy Fair in 87(?) as a poorly executed fandub (bad translation peppered with lots of swearing). Couple of years later I came across the a Streamline VHS dub at the local video store.

Looks rather dated today, but still fun to put on every now and again.

If ADV had lackluster sales, probably because of two factors: 1) it wasn't the latest in anime, and 2) the market was already saturated with the Streamline dubs even if they were VHS.

It's a shame that plans were dropped to acquire the TV series; I so want to throw out my old 3rd gen VHS fansubs...
WonderDruq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
The guy forgot to mention that the Streamline version was directed by the late great Carl Macek. Dammit, how come no one ever gives his involvement with the Dirty Pair any recognition? Whenever they give examples of his work other than Robotech, the Lovely Angels are never mentioned. Why? Should he just be remembered for Robotech and whatever they list as examples of his other work?
WonderDruq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
The guy forgot to mention that the Streamline version was directed by the late great Carl Macek. Dammit, how come his involvement with the Dirty Pair never gets enough recognition? Everytime people give examples of his work other than Robotech, they never mention the Lovely Angels not once. So what is supposed to just be remembered for Robotech and whatever the other examples of his work they listed are? His version is alot better than ADV Films' version all the way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5