• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Parent Navarre Reports Q4 Anime Sales Dip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
...oh, and if they licensed Cardcaptor Sakura, I'm pretty sure it would help sales right then and there! The value it's going for and WHY it has not been picked up yet, is beyond me...

Why, what's it going for? Because price of license aside, Sailor Moon would almost certainly earn more revenue.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
...oh, and if they licensed Cardcaptor Sakura, I'm pretty sure it would help sales right then and there! The value it's going for and WHY it has not been picked up yet, is beyond me...

Why, what's it going for? Because price of license aside, Sailor Moon would almost certainly earn more revenue.

About 2 years ago (when I actually was looking into it), it was going for over $100+ Usually around $120. Per boxset, mind you. Now, it goes for close to $200+ per set, if not, closer to $300...

I was actually on the FUNI forums to see if there was any support with bringing them over, but looks like people were more focused on having it re-dubbed, more than having it at all -_-; So that may not be a good thing... However, the demand for a sub cut only, shows demand in the worth of the product in the secondary market.

...just checking up eBay with the price of Sailor Moon, and it appears to be mostly between the $100-$200 mark per set. They do seem to be ALOT more plentiful than the CCS sets (I guess more SM were produced?) Still, sadly since Toei hates the R1 market, we may never see those again... CCS however? Shouldn't have any real reason NOT to be picked up again...
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
dynasore wrote:
People, listen to the Navarre Q4 conference call (40 mins) and draw your own conclusions.

Thanks for the link.

So basically FUNi is now dragging Navarre down, can't work well with the software side of Navarre and has to go.

FUNi's profits depends on their release schedule. It spikes and dips. So FUNi needs a steady stream of hits and that's why they are going for the co-productions.

It's not that much off from what ANN was reporting.
animeroxsmysoxs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
outlaw55 wrote:
In reference to the sales dip, all I have to say is, I REALLY wish people would BUY more anime in the states...

I know, right?
If people bought Anime, the industry wouldn't be in a crisis
domino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
poor Funi. Lately I can't find any anime for sale locally (except Best Buys offering Naruto, Death Note, Evangelion, and other popular series that aired on TV that I'm uninterested in). The limited availability of anime DVDs is a big problem for me, since I am an impulsive shopper who wants to buy things only when I can see and touch them.

And I guess their only upcoming release that grabs my attention is Hetalia..... the other shows I want on DVD are usually completely ignored (sports series, shoujo series) by these licensing groups. :\
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
This just confirms what Gen said when he stated that FUNi was "returning to more normal operations" meaning they have released all the Geneon, and ADV back log and are showing what they would be like had they not taken those on. so all in all the reduction was expected and still they aren't doing to badly compared to the others. Don't panic, Captain! The hull's dented, but we're still afloat, and the engine is still turning revolutions. We'll be alright. Wink
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
darkholme wrote:
If you really want to look at something interesting go read their SEC filling on the Navarre website. If you don't know how to read one of these things then hold off on commenting about financial conference calls because you'll just look like an idiot.

A couple points I want to make:

1. Sales decreased during the 4th Quarter 2010 vs 2009. However, operating income, net income and EBITDA all improved. Even when you take out the one time charges you show positive growth in these areas. This means even though they had less revenues in all areas, not just FUNI, they made more money on what they did sell and therefore they are in a more financially secure position.

2. "Discontinued Operations" - This is purely an accounting term people. It is meant to be used in annual and quarterly reports to tell investors that this operation will most likely not be on Navarre's books in the near future. In other words, they are planning on selling the company and you should not include the income from FUNI as part of your investment decision. It does not mean that FUNI is a toxic asset.

Good, someone who actually seems to understand accounting terms. The bit about discontinued operations is spot on, it's really there to tell people not to be surprised if the revenue from a particular source isn't there sometime soon. Corporations constantly have discontinued operations because they try to find ways to be more efficient. In this case, we're looking at two companies that don't fit that well together and it's beneficial for both to try to sell. All indications are that Navarre is willing to hold onto Funimation if they don't get a good enough deal, which certainly wouldn't be the case if Funimation was losing gobs of money and Navarre wanted to get rid of them ASAP.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
All indications are that Navarre is willing to hold onto Funimation if they don't get a good enough deal, which certainly wouldn't be the case if Funimation was losing gobs of money and Navarre wanted to get rid of them ASAP.

Conference call actually puts it differently. They are going to sell the company, hired a company to do it and has a history of attempting before so they know where to go.

On the good side, one of the analyst felt that FUNi was growing and was undervalued as a company.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
A 15% drop in sales (with a similar drop in SKU output) is not good news, but it's actually not terrible considering the sales slides at most other home video labels. (Overall DVD sales dove 13% in '09.)
What was the overall DVD sales change for just Q4?
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
From listening to Navarre's confrence call and from the 15% dip in revenue, the signs are there and everything is clearly obvious: Navarre is about ready to split from Funimation after nearly six years as its sole parent company and distributor.

So what does this mean? It means Funimation will be sold off to another parent company, and will go through a lenthy and confusing process of contracts,business structure and possible reorganizing.

People are failing to mention that Funimation like Section23 is a Texas based company. Though Navarre owns majority of Funimation's share, they have no say in the fate of the company except in reguards to assets,renvenue and stock value. Remember Texas business laws are very complex. Navarre has no ablility to shut down Funimation, but they can shrink the company down.

Is this bad news? No, not really. It just means that Funimation will spend the remainder of the 2nd quarter of 2010 looking for a new parent company willing to snatch it up. Once they find one An ADV-Section23-like transfer is likely to occur. but since Funimation is a parent owned label, the name will remain.

So if Funimation is looking for a japanese parent company I think they should consider two companies: TOEI or Sunrise. For Fukanaga(who's very familliar with Toyko's stock exchange ethics) he'll probably consider a full sale with terms and conditions tied to it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
All indications are that Navarre is willing to hold onto Funimation if they don't get a good enough deal, which certainly wouldn't be the case if Funimation was losing gobs of money and Navarre wanted to get rid of them ASAP.

Conference call actually puts it differently. They are going to sell the company, hired a company to do it and has a history of attempting before so they know where to go.

On the good side, one of the analyst felt that FUNi was growing and was undervalued as a company.

I'll take your word for it, since I couldn't get the call to work for me.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
This is getting really confusing here so much shit going on with the anime industry in the US and the way it looks like there not going to be one soon
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Funi's gonna get screwed, Funi's gonna get screwed... Laughing
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
*sighs* Now I know what Zac and Justin mean when they talk about random, rampant speculation. Mad
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I just wish someone had a plan. I just wish someone had a plan.

Instead we've been re-enacting the same old dance for something like ...going on 3 years since the Geneon collapse made everyone realize "we can't keep ignoring this like we did when Musicland went under"

Armchair generals myself included yell about declining sales, fans get yelled at for downloading, nothing changes.

Nothing changes.

There is no "paradigm shift" to a new plan.

Everyone wants to go back to the way things were.

The very fact that the standard for measuring market strength is based on DVD sales and not online sales, is self-evident.

I wish someone had a long term plan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8