• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Force Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
sfried wrote:

Letthemeatraep wrote:
E3 was quite a show. Nintendo made an epic comeback, and the 3DS looked great for all of an hour until you realise every single game coming out for it(With a handful of exceptions) is a port from somewhere else, and the graphics from game to game seem wildly inconsistent to boot(Metal Gear looks great for example, but Ridge Racer is pretty much DS level)
I'd hate to turn this into a graphics argument, but, have you even played Ridge Racer for DS? I think 3DS looks PSP levels at worst, to between-Wii-and-XB360/PS3 at best (low geometry but plenty of nifty effects. See the Resident Evil Revelations pics which have been confirmed to be real-time demos). But regardless, the amount of 3rd party support is rather unparalleled, or at least compared to what I initially thought it would be.

The 3DS was always going to have the support of everyone who make DS games from day one, they'd have to be dense to think for a second that it isn't likely to at least match the success of the DS after all.

As for those Resi pics being real time... I don't believe that for a second. The gulf in technical prowess is too far between them and every other game seen on the 3DS, especially when you look at the other Capcom game Street Fighter IV, which seems a lot more believable in it's graphical capabilities, but nowhere near the level of those Resi shots.

I'm not saying the 3DS isn't going to be a powerful machine, I'd be surprised if it wasn't significantly more powerful than the (Now a tad technically dated) PSP, I'm just saying that the current round of shots and footage isn't really showing that off. It feels like Nintendo might have unveiled it a bit too early to me to be honest, which is why they went to such lengths to avoid showing any real footage besides Kid Icarus at their E3 show.

Regardless, it's going to be insanely successful no matter what, that's a given, so nitpicking largely irrelevant points like how launch games look is fairly petty I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3