• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! All Scanlations, All The Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nineofclubs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
Oh my GOD! It's so awesome to see another Mahoraba fan!

The anime is awesome, and the manga is even better! It had such a nice, warm feel to it. I first saw it in either late '06-early'07, and thought that someone would surely license it. In my mind, this would be a series that fans of something like Fruits Basket would enjoy.

....I'm still waiting for it. Anime cry

I can say without a doubt, that Mahoraba is the best manga series i've ever read. It really was everything I could've asked for in a series.

Last edited by Nineofclubs on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
rainwithsunshine wrote:
Mahoraba~! I'm glad, too, to see another fan. I have faith that it will be release here eventually, but no telling when. Fingers crossed? Smile
Fingers are always crossed. I still tell people about it all the time, and try to get others into it in the hopes there'll be enough fan love that we'll see an English release yet!

Nineofclubs wrote:

I can say without a doubt, that Mahoraba is the best manga series i've ever read. It really was everthing I could've asked for in a series.

It really is awesome. Considering all the other stuff that was coming out at the time Mahoraba was airing, I'm surprised no one picked it up back then.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
Brian wrote:
<nonsense>
So, you are claiming that the audience for Maharaba and LotGH are narutards? Everyone I know that has even seen / read those doesn't give two sh*ts about Bleach, Naruto, or One Piece. I'm not sure if you are trying to insult the people who read good manga, or trying to insult the mangaka of good series themselves. Jesus, man; believe it or not, not everyone likes teen shounen.

No, that's not what he's saying, and I'm amazed you somehow managed to take it as such. He just said that the aggregator sites are getting all those millions upon millions of hits mainly for best selling manga, be it Naruto or something else. This argument is easily justified with the ranking system most of these aggregator sites have listed of the comics getting the most views. They always had Naruto at the top, along with every other best selling comic already available in English. Without those titles, these sites wouldn't be getting the millions upon millions of hits they're making money off of. If you're not reading the licensed stuff, good for you.

And guess what? I like LotGH. And you know what else? I own every volume of Naruto. Quit with the elitist attitude and quit assuming your preferences make you better than other people. You're the only one going around insulting people with that crap. Your "good" manga is always going to be total crap to someone else. It's called preference. It's unique to everyone.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
He just said that the aggregator sites are getting all those millions upon millions of hits mainly for best selling manga, be it Naruto or something else. This argument is easily justified with the ranking system most of these aggregator sites have listed of the comics getting the most views. ...

And it can be seen on Alexa as the reach and hitcounts swing up and down through the week with the release of the big three. Its the scanlation and ripping of the licensed titles that provide the larger share of the revenues that generate profits for the bigger sites and help keep the smaller sites in operation.

Of course, for those who enjoy manga, they'd want the creators rights protected for Naruto, Bleach and One Piece, even if they never read them, since you never know when someone learning the craft assisting for one of the big platforms will be coming up with their own interesting work.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I always wanted to watch 009 but I never knew what it was called. I'm into the new Anime's (can Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece be counted along with other series? =D).

I wonder if I can get this series on DVD somewhere...
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
Hmm... I always wanted to watch 009 but I never knew what it was called. I'm into the new Anime's (can Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece be counted along with other series? =D).

I wonder if I can get this series on DVD somewhere...

Sony released a 2 dvd's of the edited tv ed. then a 2-disc set with the same eps unedited [I have it, it's quite nice], though the show didn't take off so they hadn't released the rest yet. They did release Astro Boy and Blood+ in full though. While not complete, I think the 2-disc unedited one is worth tracking down, and can be found for fairly cheap at the moment [i got mine for 5 bucks new]
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Man, I had completely forgotten about the 2001 version of Cyborg 009. Watching it on Cartoon Network after school with that techno ending song...damn. I had always wondered why the story stopped so abruptly. A release would be heaven.

Forgive my retrospection. I just came back from Toy Story 3.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Long before Adult Swim switched from more serious Anime to american cartoons (a bad move in my opinion)

Just to nit-pick a little, Adult Swim has always played american animation (both original and not). A quick check on wiki shows that the first show shown was Home Movies. If the bumps are to be believed, it's those shows that carry Adult Swim's ratings. As long as those shows bring people in, then they'll be able to continue airing other, less (generally) popular shows. While it'd be nice to see an anime title take off on Adult Swim, there hasn't been anything recently unfortunately.

Definately agree with both Brians on Toonami though. It was a sad day when Tom said goodbye.
Panon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Oh Bandai Visual/Honneamise, you and your expensive releases with subpar video quality for DVDs. I've seen R2 rips and the legit physical R1 DVDs of Gunbuster, and boy were they not good.

!??! They looked like the exact same encode to me!

The R2 rips looked sharper, and the DVDs had bright white line going down the left side of the picture. And yes, they were the real DVDs, borrowed from a university library. As they often buy Criterion things as well, this is in the same vein for them. I'm sure their other releases are fine, but not Gunbuster's boxset.

This is why you don't use rips to discuss the quality of legitimate releases.

The R2 Gunbuster dvds contain the exact same white line down the left side of the picture.

You watched a rip that had been cropped and run through a sharpening filter.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Oh Bandai Visual/Honneamise, you and your expensive releases with subpar video quality for DVDs. I've seen R2 rips and the legit physical R1 DVDs of Gunbuster, and boy were they not good.

!??! They looked like the exact same encode to me!

The R2 rips looked sharper, and the DVDs had bright white line going down the left side of the picture. And yes, they were the real DVDs, borrowed from a university library. As they often buy Criterion things as well, this is in the same vein for them. I'm sure their other releases are fine, but not Gunbuster's boxset.

This is why you don't use rips to discuss the quality of legitimate releases.

The R2 Gunbuster dvds contain the exact same white line down the left side of the picture.

You watched a rip that had been cropped and run through a sharpening filter.

Then I'd like to say that those rips are superior to either DVD release. But, why in the hell is that white line there?
Campbell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Quote:
Long before Adult Swim switched from more serious Anime to american cartoons (a bad move in my opinion)

Just to nit-pick a little, Adult Swim has always played american animation (both original and not). A quick check on wiki shows that the first show shown was Home Movies. If the bumps are to be believed, it's those shows that carry Adult Swim's ratings. As long as those shows bring people in, then they'll be able to continue airing other, less (generally) popular shows. While it'd be nice to see an anime title take off on Adult Swim, there hasn't been anything recently unfortunately.

Oh, I'm glad you said it. They said on their bumps, forums, etc. so many times that the anime they play is not as generally popular as their American animated programs. If not for that I'm sure they'd love to play more anime.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Is it wrong to be thoroughly enjoying the recent scanlation take-downs and the resulting outrage from some people?

Yes.

Because it's not enjoying your guy doing better. It's enjoying the Enemy (which is, I believe, how most here think of "those people") doing worse. Gloating doesn't really suit anybody well, no matter how well you can justify a "they deserve it" claim. If you're jumping for joy at the thought of somebody else going bankrupt or landing behind bars, independent of how well the "Good Guys" might do...something's wrong. (Yes, the principle is the same even when it's scaled down to inconvenience.)

Besides, righteous indignation is unproductive.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:53 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the pointless "moral" commentary, Shay Guy.

loka wrote:
Brian wrote:
<nonsense>
So, you are claiming that the audience for Maharaba and LotGH are narutards?

No. That's actually sort of the opposite of what he was saying.

BTW, the Madman release of Honneamise is an NTSC-PAL conversion (looks pretty good), and includes extras, but not the director's commentary.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:12 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Sounds stupid enough to me. It's not about owing anybody, it's about profit. Why try to destroy a market that you could be converting into sales? It's a missed opportunity.
Who makes a profit from free? I think you need a refresher on what the term "market" means. Rolling Eyes These aggregators only live because they are free to anyone. Making the tealeaves now pay for that is catamount to pulling a plastic bag over their heads and tying it at the neck. In short it's suicide. Rolling Eyes
shaggyglasses

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:
Sounds stupid enough to me. It's not about owing anybody, it's about profit. Why try to destroy a market that you could be converting into sales? It's a missed opportunity.
Who makes a profit from free? I think you need a refresher on what the term "market" means. Rolling Eyes These aggregators only live because they are free to anyone. Making the tealeaves now pay for that is catamount to pulling a plastic bag over their heads and tying it at the neck. In short it's suicide. Rolling Eyes

It is possible to make profit from free. Free manga means easier diffusion into the population. People don't have to pay for access to the content which could mean more people will read it and thus a higher chance of creating fans and most importantly, hardcore fans. Once a large fan base is created, create some merchandise (toys, beach towels, umbrellas, costumes). The more hardcore fans would be buying the popular and niche merchandise (umbrellas, mouse pad) while the normal fans would be buying the more popular ones (toys, video games).

However, I've only seen this work on popular shows like Bleach, Naruto and One Piece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6