• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live on Tape from Anime Expo 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shichimi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:50 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I had no idea Index and Railgun had nudity in it. Could someone tell me (objectively) how much is in there, and whether it's tasteful/plot relevant? I'm not a prude or anything, but I'd like to know before I buy from Funi.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:
Oh man, I had no idea Index and Railgun had nudity in it. Could someone tell me (objectively) how much is in there, and whether it's tasteful/plot relevant? I'm not a prude or anything, but I'd like to know before I buy from Funi.

As someone who's watched both series, I can say.....what nudity?
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:14 am Reply with quote
Oh Princess Knight guy, let me sign your petition, I've always wanted to read it and own it. Anime hyper
(but Justin and Zac are right. it's not as huge as Astro Boy, and it would sell terribly. Take it from a fellow old shoujo fan, its just not going to happen)

ANN panels sound like alot of fun Anime hyper If you ever come to Texas, I'd probably drive as long as I have to to be there, so save a Heat Guy J DVD for me.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
LOL! Should we expect to see a few handouts of Heat Guy J's DVDs at ANN's front page any soon?! Laughing

Keep trying Princess Knight fan! You're just amusing.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Shichimi wrote:

DmonHiro, did you watch those 2 anime in fansubs. Because are you aware Japan has been censoring anime (as in nudity eliminated in the TV version)? The fansub anime are usually the TV network version (which are subject to censorship), I know because if you recalled Rosario + Vampire panty shot has been censored on Japanese TV. So it may be possible the fansub version of Index and Railgun could be censored and you couldn't tell if this anime had nudity or not. The only way to find out, wait and see what the rating is: if the DVD has a TV-MA and it has S (which mean explicit sexual activity and also nudity) then yes the one you watch could've been censored. That's why I lost fate on fansubs because I can't tell if that anime is uncut or not. Most fansubs anime are the network TV version which are subject to censorship.

Last edited by mdo7 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Shichimi wrote:

Kuroko gets down in her skimmies multiple times to pounce on Misaka, but I don't recall there being any nudity.

mdo7 wrote:
The only way to find out, wait and see what the rating is: if the DVD has a TV-MA and it has S (which mean explicit sexual activity and also nudity) then yes the one you watch could've been censored.

Japanese DVDs do not have the same rating system as the United States.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
The only way to find out, wait and see what the rating is: if the DVD has a TV-MA and it has S (which mean explicit sexual activity and also nudity) then yes the one you watch could've been censored.

Japanese DVDs do not have the same rating system as the United States.

That's what I meant the US DVD. The US DVD are uncut and it would tell us that if the anime has nudity or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
For Index and Railgun, I don't think there is nudity on the level of fanservice like you would get from like Queen's Blade or the more extreme fanservice series of late. But there are 1 or 2 moments in each. In Index there is the instant where Toma blows up Index's cloth with his Imagine Breaker but nothing servicy and in Railgun there is that shower scene in episode 1. Railgun does do random ones like that filler-ish episode of them in bikinis and random moments of Kuroko but no nudity asides from that. Oh, and bath scene stuff in both series too. But again nothing to outrageously servicy. That's all I can remember and I think that's pretty much it. And none of it is upfront nudity like nipples or genitals. Just the regular "convenient towel or steam or whatever" type stuff.

Also I have to admit I feel bad for the Princess Knight guy. Not because of the expected reason though. Just because I pre-judged him before he even finished his question. His voice... I immediately braced myself, mentally eyerolled his question as soon as I heard his tone of voice. And I feel horrible for being prejudice like that. Although he didn't disappoint my pre-judgment, I still felt bad. But hey, one of Justin's goals is to try and get the more obscure "treasures" so who knows. He'll try at least if he gets the 1000 signatures. Good luck on it buddy.

Also, while I do hope it means an end to M. Knight (at least his involvement with the series), I hope it doesn't mean an end to the Last Air Bender movies.

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

DmonHiro, did you watch those 2 anime in fansubs.

I see you don't know who I am online, and what circles I frequent Very Happy. I watched the bluray rips for Index, and am participating in the making of the blurays for Railgun. As such, I watched these shows uncensored. There is NO nudity whatsoever in either show. There is the occasional fanservice shot, but not so much as a panty shot in them. Off the top of my head:

1. Index sleeping in Touma's bed wearing a long white shirt.
2. The "beach/hot spring" episode, with no actual nudity.
3. The "beach" episode in Index, same story.
4. Koroko attacking Misaka in the shower.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
Uhhg. All that generalization talk at the end.. At first I thought it was gonna be interesting, but then it was all just like "anime has deep characters!". What?

Seriously, most anime doesn't try to be mature entertainment, or high art. A lot of anime is unintelligible crap to push a commercial product. Or simple entertainment for little kids after school. Or some tear-jerker for teen girls to obsess over. It isn't that "anime" these days is dying. It's that you people have labeled it with unrealistic and naive expectations.

Where's the Shakespearean depth to Hinako, in Sleeping with Hinako? There isn't any, because there isn't mean to be any. It's just some crap for guys who are into that to get off to.

Did the guy compare Triplets and Persepolis to silent films? I'm not really sure what he was saying. But maybe that's because one is basically a silent film, and the other is basically black and white? I dunno.

Either way, both films are infinitely more intelligent, and just more entertaining than the majority of "anime" out there. Waltz with Bashir is another great none-Japanese none-American animated film.

Not all anime is NGE, or Lain. You can't look at a few select titles and say "this whole 'genre' is sophisticated, and filled with Shakespearean depth characters!". You can't look at the exceptions like that, because they are just that, exceptions.

Code Lyoko is a French production that I'd say easily has the same character depth as most shounen shows. Reboot's characters are the same as Dragon Ball Z's characters. "anime" isn't exclusive in the way it treats it's characters, and half the time it doesn't even treat them the way you guys are saying it does.

Or maybe I just didn't understand the question. I dunno.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote
Ah, well that sounds like the standard fare to be honest, then. I was just a little alarmed at the 'loliboobs' ( Confused Laughing ) comment in the AnnCast. Thanks for clearing that up!
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

DmonHiro, did you watch those 2 anime in fansubs.

I see you don't know who I am online, and what circles I frequent Very Happy. I watched the bluray rips for Index, and am participating in the making of the blurays for Railgun. As such, I watched these shows uncensored. There is NO nudity whatsoever in either show. There is the occasional fanservice shot, but not so much as a panty shot in them. Off the top of my head:

1. Index sleeping in Touma's bed wearing a long white shirt.
2. The "beach/hot spring" episode, with no actual nudity.
3. The "beach" episode in Index, same story.
4. Koroko attacking Misaka in the shower.

OK, so the Railgun and Index anime you watch are not fansubs but rip from the Blu-Ray disc and it's uncensored. So there's no nudity at all in this anime so that means I'm expecting Railgun and Index to have a TV-14 on the US DVD. That's good to know.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:

Not all anime is NGE, or Lain. You can't look at a few select titles and say "this whole 'genre' is sophisticated, and filled with Shakespearean depth characters!". You can't look at the exceptions like that, because they are just that, exceptions.

The thing is, there are much more of these exceptions made in Japan than other countries combined. Even in the 70's when bigger percentage of American cartoons were crap than in the late 80's and the 90's and I would say even Disney produced its worst in those decades in Japan there was Gundam, Space Battleship Yamato, Anne of Green Gables, Future Boy Conan, Galaxy Express 999, Rose of Versailles and Space Pirate Captain Harlock.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:

There's nudity in both series but in the sense that you don't actually see the naughty bits keep in mind that some of the characters are underage (Index) or in Middle School
-Index is complete nude in the OPENING
-Touma uses his Imagine Breaker to shred off Index's robe
-Hot Spring scene where you can see Index's rear end
-Touma and his father walking in on a character changing
-Touma walking in on Index and another character changing, twice
-Kuroko trying to jump Misaka's "bones" in the shower

Railgun has more fanservice scenes than Index but like the former you don't see the naughty bits
-Kuroko groping Misaka in the shower in the first episode
-Kuroko undressing herself in front of Misaka
-Obligatory beach episode
-Bath scene where Kuroko casually walks in on Misaka

Not a big deal, but I guess what Zac and Justin were getting on the fact that the show has alot of fanservice scenes involving characters who are roughly in middle school
Shichimi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
OK, getting confused now. Confused

-When you say full nudity in the Opening, do you mean in the opening credits or the opening episode? I guess if push comes to shove I can skip past that bit, though I'm not crazy about it.

-How frequent is the fanservice? Is it isolated within certain episodes, or does it occur more or less throughout?

This is starting to sounding more and more like a 'servicey' show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8