• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Partial English Cast for Hetalia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
PBsallad wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
I really wasn't expecting Vic as Greece, but it could work...maybe.

I wasn't really even expecting Vic to audition, let alone get a role. He's known for not liking yaoi. And after looking up Greece it's implied him and Japan slept with each other.

Well, he did play Fai. But he denied any and all yaoi involving him despite Fai being camp gay.

Wow seriously? Fai is the gayest character in CLAMP's universe. How can someone deny something that's so obvious?? Confused

Too bad Vic is in Hetalia. He'll ruin Greece for me but it's a good thing he didn't get Italy. That would have been a disaster.
Saturn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:

PBsallad wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
I really wasn't expecting Vic as Greece, but it could work...maybe.

I wasn't really even expecting Vic to audition, let alone get a role. He's known for not liking yaoi. And after looking up Greece it's implied him and Japan slept with each other.

It makes me wonder if Funimation just likes messing with him. "There a male character that's implied to have had sex with another male? Vic auditioned for the series? Huh...Cool" In Hetalia's case, most stuff is implied anyway. For the most part, it's just fans having shippings, misinterpreted moments, stuff like that. Enough for people to ignore, though there's no denying some of the undertones (and, well, stuff involving France).

I dunno, the Greece/Japan thing is pretty much canon. The only one still in denial about that is... well, Japan >_>

I'm not a big fan of Funimation dubs in general, but I'll give it a listen. As I always say, if it isn't any good, there will still be a sub track Very Happy
I *am* pretty interested to see who will be doing Russia, though!
AntztheGreat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
http://twitter.com/funimation/status/17971880523

The Ryan Reynolds mystery is solved. Sort of.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
They don't HAVE to announce it now. It's pretty obvious who both Russia and France are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoeCZf9zc1A

Russia is Jerry Jewell.

France is J Michael Tatum.

This is awesome. Anime smile That is all.

Guess this kills my assumption that he'd be playing Japan, and that Chris Patton would be France as well. After hearing the approach to the accents, though, I'm actually going to bet dollars-to-donuts that accent-happy Patton IS in this somewhere, and I'ma guess England! Twisted Evil

On a side note, there is no Ireland character, but if there WAS that's where Jerry Jewell would have been cast. Anyone remember his incomprehensibly hilarious Jin in Yu Yu Hakusho? Laughing

Last edited by JacobC on Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:

I dunno, the Greece/Japan thing is pretty much canon. The only one still in denial about that is... well, Japan >_>

Pretty much, though it's worth mentioning that scene was never officially included in a published volume from what I know. Himaruya redraws many strips for new volumes and the anime has a habit of adapting them, but I can honestly see it being abandoned, either by Himaruya's choice or an editor's. Or just an "after scene" added to kill the implication if it's ever redrawn and published....

AntztheGreat wrote:
http://twitter.com/funimation/status/17971880523

The Ryan Reynolds mystery is solved. Sort of.

Interesting twist in events! Well, nice to see new talent. Good luck to her^^ And Ryan Bijan; looks like he/she is a new one, too.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
They don't HAVE to announce it now. It's pretty obvious who both Russia and France are.

Russia is Jerry Jewell.

I just watched that. I laughed so hard; the accents are so freaking awesome. Anime hyper
Why must September be so far away? XP
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

Russia is Jerry Jewell.

I just watched that. I laughed so hard; the accents are so freaking awesome. Anime hyper
Why must September be so far away? XP

Oh, I know. I get the feeling this is one I'll only be able to watch in dub anymore and will have to invite over a bunch of people who don't even like anime to subject them to it.

I actually have NO idea why I didn't think of Jerry Jewell playing him before, because it makes total sense. Barry the Chopper and The Rail Tracer in Russia. We are aaaaaaaaall going to die. Twisted Evil
PBsallad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Doctor Worm wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
Liam O' Brien as Russia ("All will become one with Russia, KOL KOL KOL~!" Light, charming n' creepy.)

Bryan Massey as Germany (Thick, scary voice, often unintentionally funny, but can sound pretty cuddly, too. Goodness knows Germany has a lot of cuddly moments with Italy, hur hurr.)

Joel MacDonald as Italy (Probably just my desire for this guy to get more work, but specifically I'm thinking of his Jacuzzi voice here. It's just perfect. I know Haberkorn could probably get this one, and it'll be funny, but I'd like to be surprised otherwise too.)

I don't want to shoot down your Liam suggestion but as far as I've been able to tell, he's been pretty much a strict west coast actor.

Love the Germany and Italy suggestions. Joel's Jacuzzi voice would be GREAT for Italy imo but I recall listening to a podcast show where he pretty much said that Jacuzzi voice was a major killer to his throat (If you've ever heard Joel McDonald talk his voice is crazy-different from Jacuzzi's. Trust me, he does not have a Greg Ayres sort of thing going on with his voice haha) so a Jacuzzi like voice for Italy would be fantastic but I'm trying my best not to build my hopes up for such a thing too much.

Joel's Jacuzzi is awesome. I listened to a podcast he was on too and he said that in the audition he hoped he wouldn't have to do that again. But when her got the part and did it more the voice got easier to do. I doubt he'll be Italy though. One of the writers, maybe.
Megsee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I actually have NO idea why I didn't think of Jerry Jewell playing him before, because it makes total sense. Barry the Chopper and The Rail Tracer in Russia. We are aaaaaaaaall going to die. Twisted Evil

Totally agree with you there. I'd done casting predictions and now I feel so stupid for not even considering Jerry Jewell. After hearing that clip it just feels so right, equal parts creepy and adorable.

Can't wait to own this on DVD!
Very Happy
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Seriously, just be glad this show even has a English audio track. Could have easily been subtitle only like Toradora, Your Under Arrest, Gintama, etc.

Seriously, FUNimation doesn't need to rely on that alleged homophobe. He doesn't like the Yaoi undertones or the fandom shipping, he can find work elsewhere. Nothing stopping him from doing it.
Saturn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Saturn wrote:

Pretty much, though it's worth mentioning that scene was never officially included in a published volume from what I know. Himaruya redraws many strips for new volumes and the anime has a habit of adapting them, but I can honestly see it being abandoned, either by Himaruya's choice or an editor's. Or just an "after scene" added to kill the implication if it's ever redrawn and published....

True, but I don't see the fangirls letting that deter them from giving Vic unmerciful hell...
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Seriously, just be glad this show even has a English audio track. Could have easily been subtitle only like Toradora, Your Under Arrest, Gintama, etc.

Seriously, FUNimation doesn't need to rely on that alleged homophobe. He doesn't like the Yaoi undertones or the fandom shipping, he can find work elsewhere. Nothing stopping him from doing it.

He's there, he's popular, he gets cast. They aren't relying on him, especially when (in this case) he's been cast as a fairly minor character. Greece shows up in, what, 6 or 7 episodes? In the end, it's all his opinion and matters nothing to the quality of the show, even if his action seem annoying. No one ever said he had to like the undertones/shipping to enjoy the show--it's all about if he can ignore it, criticize it constructively, or what have you. Vic hasn't said anything about Hetalia insofar, so there's nothing to really be upset at (yet, anyway).

Saturn wrote:

True, but I don't see the fangirls letting that deter them from giving Vic unmerciful hell...

Oh, most certainly not.

I think one thing people need to keep in mind is that, under the law, Funimation probably couldn't have kept Vic from being cast if he was good enough for the job. People didn't want him, and it's all based on his alleged beliefs. Lots of issues with not hiring someone for those reasons.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
I think one thing people need to keep in mind is that, under the law, Funimation probably couldn't have kept Vic from being cast if he was good enough for the job. People didn't want him, and it's all based on his alleged beliefs. Lots of issues with not hiring someone for those reasons.

Theirs a seriously big difference between excluding someone from working on something due to discrimination vs. willfully working on something that revolts you.

If Vic has a hatred of all things Gay and Yaoi, he shouldn't be working on a series well know for it's Gay undertones. Simple as that.

But he's working on it, and hopefully, he doesn't say something incredibly stupid like with the whole Tsubasa comment.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
^
That particular comment was towards a portion of the fandom, which I've mostly observed on other sites, and how they were asking Funimation not to cast him and throwing a fit that he was. I'm partially annoyed because Vic being the series doesn't lessen its quality--there are plenty of people who make terrible life decisions or seem downright crazy but still make good films or can act. And then I'm just annoyed because the stuff is still only alleged and it totally ignores the discrimination laws. If they're annoyed, they shouldn't scapegoat Funimation; be annoyed with Vic himself.

I agree that if Vic doesn't like it, then it's in his best interest to stay away or keep quiet. In the end, it's his decision and he probably wants the money, though. In which case, if he does hold something against the undertones, he should stay out of the spotlight with his opinion lest he invoke the rage of Hetalia's rabid fans (while others just lose respect).
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Please announce who will be voicing America. I really hope that it's Johnny Yong Bosch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9