• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: I.G Reveals Gargantia in the Verdurous Planet Anime's Story, Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
configspace wrote:
All the people complaining about how this looks, isn't that superficial? I mean isn't it ironic those who are supposed to be all about substance over style, interested in the story and sci-fi aspect, now complaining about its style?

I don't actually see anyone in this thread professing to be "all about substance over style". And even if anyone here did feel that way, I highly doubt it would be to the exaggerated level you're implying here. One can certainly prioritize substance and still find a show's superficial elements to be a detriment. It's not a black and white thing.

Quote:
If you're about substance over style, then why should the sensual aesthetics bother you?

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with sensual character designs. So long as they aren't exaggerated to the point where it becomes ridiculous or distracting. What I, and I think a lot of people are criticizing is the fact that this seems like it will be another harem show. That's definitely not a superficial aspect.

@configspace
I agree with ikillchicken that you're exaggerating just a bit. What people are mostly concerned with is the harem feel which is substance as it's part of the story. I have nothing against harem series, it's just that I don't want the science fiction elements to take a back seat to it. The fact that Urobuchi is writing it gives me hope.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

How about a billion tons comet made out of water breaking into 3275 Tunguska class impacts mostly over the pacific ocean?

A billion tons would be a drop in the bucket. The Antarctic ice sheet is approximately 30 million cubic kilometers of ice.

A cubic meter of pure water at four degrees Celsius weighs 1,000 kilograms (one metric ton, or about 1.1 imperial tons). A single cubic kilometer would be 1 million metric tons of water. It would take only 1000 of those to make a billion metric tons (over 10% more than the amount from the comet you mentioned).

For another comparison, it is estimated changes in the mass of Greenland's ice sheet suggest it is melting at a rate of about 239 cubic kilometers per year. That is over one quarter the amount of water the comet you mentioned would contribute, and that is happening every year.

When I said massive ice-bearing comet, I meant massive; think the size of a small moon.

To say such an impact would have a devastating effect on the Earth would be an understatement. It is estimated the meteorite impact that was responsible for killing off the dinosaurs was roughly a "mere" 10km in diameter.

The mean elevation of land on the planet is 2,755 feet. Keep in mind melting all ice on the planet would result in a rise of only around 200 feet, and you'll begin to get a hint of what it would take to make the planet a world covered with water.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
One of the more popular hentai artists drawing attractive character designs? What a shock!

This just seems to be making up for the backlash that people had against Psycho Pass in Japan. People wanted more cute girl suffering from Urobuchi and Psycho Pass didn't really live up to what people wanted (and why its an absolute flop in sales compared to Madoka and Fate/Zero, when many people thought anything that Urobuchi wrote after those two massive hits would be an easy sell). Cute girl suffering is what he does best, so I'm looking forward to it in this one.

Of course you are Rolling Eyes

EDIT: In all fairness to Gen, believe me when I do not relish saying this, his employer is Nitroplus. We already have our semicolon-series for the year and we still are having fun with PSYCHO PASS, so it is to be expected that his employer will want to push something that is more geared towards their other product lines: eroges and erovns. It would seem that they are the ones bankrolling this, after all. And it is much like some in Hollywood have to produce crap that sells every once in awhile in order to do their more interesting projects. It doesn't mean I have to like it, but them's the breaks. I'll still give it a shot.

Last edited by dragon695 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

Is it rare for mecha to able to operate both on land and underwater? I ask since 1. I haven't seen much mecha anime therefore, know little about them and 2. the few that I have seen are usually able to transition from space to air (or is it atmosphere?) to land but not into water.

Since this series takes place on an Earth that's mainly underwater, I wonder if the creators will factor this in?

Also, I like his suit; looks like a jacket combined with tights in some sort of spandex-like fabric.

Mecha going underwater isn't particularly uncommon, though if a machine isn't designed for it there tends to be a tangible impact on performance. I would imagine & hope that the show would take that into account and address it if the hero's taking an active role in this new way of life he's found.

________

The harem complaint strikes me as remarkably premature...a majority female cast does not count as a warning sign in my book.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Mecha going underwater isn't particularly uncommon, though if a machine isn't designed for it there tends to be a tangible impact on performance. I would imagine & hope that the show would take that into account and address it if the hero's taking an active role in this new way of life he's found.

________

The harem complaint strikes me as remarkably premature...a majority female cast does not count as a warning sign in my book.

I could probably see the mecha being used to lay limpet mines on enemy ships if they were to utilize it underwater; its actual combat capability would be very marginal at best unless they modified it accordingly. In any case, well-laid limpet mines on one of those residential ships would make the MV Wilhelm Gustloff look like the Costa Concordia in comparison.

I never really understood the kneejerk response a lot of anime fans have whenever they encounter majority-female casts. Then again, I can actually enjoy harem shows, so...
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
I think the harem complaints are also very premature, all of which simply comes from the looks.

However, let's assume that there are some harem elements. I don't see how that is mutually exclusive to the sci-fi element or even a good story at all. If people think it is a detriment, that is because they have in mind elements that they think cannot work together. But that's merely a personal filter and goes back to what I mentioned before. It's not "story" per se people are concerned about, or even substance--it's a very particular story, with substance of specific elements (i.e. elements A and B, but NOT C and D), that I see most who complain (prematurely) want.

Looking back Macross, the premise sounded pretty darn ridiculous, and probably still is to most people when you explain it to them. Again, it's because even if they are "story-driven", 'serious sci-fi' people, they are more accurately, driven by particular combination of things of substance and/or style that make up their personal filters, as opposed to actually be generally story driven.

If there are any, I see most romance, love polygons, ero-romcom bits, etc. being a positive contribution in just about every show, working to enhance the characters and relationships.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
I never really understood the kneejerk response a lot of anime fans have whenever they encounter majority-female casts. Then again, I can actually enjoy harem shows, so...

Is it not the same response that we get when fans encounter an +80% male cast? Usually you hear complaints of sausage fest, etc. Can you enjoy sausage fests?

I think it is more concerning that the character designer is a hentai artist. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but considering one of the staples of Nitroplus (Gen's Employer) is eroge/erovn, it does not bode well. Then again, I'm sure there were many who felt the same way about PMMM. So I wouldn't call it knee-jerk so much as caution to not get one's hopes up.

configspace wrote:
If there are any, I see most romance, love polygons, ero-romcom bits, etc. being a positive contribution in just about every show, working to enhance the characters and relationships.

I don't since it often comes off as cheap or forced. I like it when it is well handled and weaved carefully into the story.. In that case, it then adds a richness that we wouldn't otherwise have. However, when it seems to be just added to check off a list of otaku favorite tropes, then I feel it is nothing but a stinking pile of crap you can't avoid stepping in.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Panzer Vor wrote:

Is it not the same response that we get when fans encounter an +80% male cast? Usually you hear complaints of sausage fest, etc. Can you enjoy sausage fests?

"I love sausage festival! Like in Vienna." - Toki Wartooth, Metalocalypse

Out-of-context quote aside, that's another kneejerk reaction that I never quite understood either. Everything just has to come down to sex with those sorts of people.
totoum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

I think it is more concerning that the character designer is a hentai artist. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but considering one of the staples of Nitroplus (Gen's Employer) is eroge/erovn, it does not bode well.

If someone wants to see what gen urobuchi working with a "harem" (to be exact, 1 guy surrounded by 4 girls and 1 male antagonist) looks like just watch phantom:requiem for the phantom it's an adaptation of an adult VN urobuchi did for nitro+ , it cuts out the sex scenes (but there's a lot implied)
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:
This just seems to be making up for the backlash that people had against Psycho Pass in Japan.

No it isnt,anime takes quite a while to create.Nobody can create in like a half year,because his previous series was a flop.
Anyways the premise looks good,the director only has worked on some ambitious and successful show I will definitely check it out.Sure the character designs look harem-ish.But upon checking their other faces which can be found on official site,I saw that there is no blushing face which seems to me like a pretty good indicator there is no romantic involvement(thus there is no harem).So yeah I guess we will have to wait for PV,

Well said. Also, I'm with you, based on all of that I'm still inclined to believe that this is going to be an ambitious show and not just a harem/romance show.

Yeah, shows take too long to make and plan and too many various staff for this to have been made just as an "opposite number" to Psycho-Pass, which essentially just started since it's got over half of it's run left. And Production I.G clearly loves doing scifi shows like Psycho-Pass looking at their catalog. Also, regardless of annoying "sales-age" arguments since sale don't equal quality, (and supposed sales numbers for a show that doesn't even have any releases yet to count any sales since the first volume doesn't even come out until the end of the month), FAR more importantly, Psycho-Pass is f-ing awesome and easily the best show of the new season IMO.

Plus they probably won't tell the whole story immediately anyway since those types of shows, like Ghost in the Shell, always feel like they sell better (or sell way longer) and last longer here in the US anyway. For example GITS SAC still feels very alive here whenever it returns to Adult Swim/Toonami despite starting to get old, it's probably still selling DVD sets and the compilation movies here even now.

GWOtaku wrote:

Totally agree.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I think the harem complaints are also very premature, all of which simply comes from the looks.

We're talking about a show based only on a small amount of very preliminary information. Literally everything said here is "premature". We're all just speculating. Given that nobody has tried to pass that off as some kind of absolute judgment of how this show will be, I don't see the problem.

Quote:
If people think it is a detriment, that is because they have in mind elements that they think cannot work together. But that's merely a personal filter and goes back to what I mentioned before. It's not "story" per se people are concerned about, or even substance--it's a very particular story, with substance of specific elements (i.e. elements A and B, but NOT C and D), that I see most who complain (prematurely) want.

You know, I'm getting pretty sick of listening to you take a piss at people based on nothing more than a bunch of generalizations you've pulled out of your ass. One again, you're painting this as some kind of ridiculous black and white issue despite nobody having made any claims even remotely similar to that. Nobody has claimed that the only thing whatsoever that they care about is "substance" and that they will absolutely and unequivocally never take anything else into account. Hence, if I, or anyone else in this this thread wants to say* that they like shows with substance but just personally I don't like harems then there is no contradiction or hypocrisy in that whatsoever. Nor does it follow that I can't still prioritize substance in a show despite factoring in some personal preferences. Once again, this is not a black and white issue.

*Not that anyone actually said this either. In actuality, nobody has even mentioned anything related to preferring substance over style. Your whole argument rests on your assumption that "people like you" think this which is just stupid.

Quote:

That is your opinion. I however find harems to be one of the most consistently awful things in anime. With an alarming frequency they result in terrible one note characters, a bloated cast that the show can't support, boring main characters, immensely trite ecchi antics, and boring storylines that prioritize slice of life tedium over actual action or drama. Of course, that is not to say all harems suffer from all these issues by any means or even that it is impossible to include a harem without it being a detriment. However, I feel perfectly justified in viewing a potential harem as a negative thing for reasons well beyond personal preference.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
we get when fans encounter an +80% male cast? Usually you hear complaints of sausage fest, etc. Can you enjoy sausage fests?

LoGH only has about three women that actually play roles of importance, and one of them only serves as off-screen motivation for a third of the total length.

As for the complaints about lots of women in a show like this, I'm sure El Hazard would receive the exact same complaints if it were airing next year for the first time. That's a fantasy anime, but oh no, it has multiple wimminz loving the same guy. Must be the worst thing ever!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That's a fantasy anime, but oh no, it has multiple wimminz loving the same guy. Must be the worst thing ever!

Nobody in this topic wrote:
This must be the worst thing ever.

If you're just going to argue with the voices in your head, please do it elsewhere. Rolling Eyes
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I however find harems to be one of the most consistently awful things in anime. With an alarming frequency they result in terrible one note characters, a bloated cast that the show can't support, boring main characters, immensely trite ecchi antics, and boring storylines that prioritize slice of life tedium over actual action or drama. Of course, that is not to say all harems suffer from all these issues by any means or even that it is impossible to include a harem without it being a detriment. However, I feel perfectly justified in viewing a potential harem as a negative thing for reasons well beyond personal preference.

Which harem titles have you watched?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:

Thanks for the reply (In the meantime, I had found one show with "water" mecha. And it...didn't look too promising.)

I suppose since underwater combat might rely more on torpedoes, tactics similar to submarine warfare (speaking of which I really should watch Blue Sub. #6), and melee attacks, there probably won't be alot of room for theatrics.

Plus, they have to factor in how long the mecha can stay underwater, how deep can the machine go, levels of pressure, temperature, usage of active and/or passive sonar to detect enemies, etc.

Unless they say, "Screw physics" and just go for broke. In which case, I might skip it.

As for the female cast...who knows. Harem or not, I just want to see a decent action anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4