• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Missing Inaction

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keyl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
You know, it's funny lol. I just read these articles before reading this feature:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/08/17/introducing-catherine-the-first-hd-game-from-the-persona-team/
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/08/18/catherines-connection-to-persona-3-portable/

It ain't Persona 5, but it sure is damned close.

Also...I'm going out on a limb here....but kudos to Bamco to severely limiting their Tales localizations. The Tales games are the very examples of what's wrong with JRPGs in today's industry.

not close enough on Catherine. and Tales of Vesperia was still a better game then FFXIII. I'm sorry but the real problem JRPG's have is identity crisis. Not knowing how they should make the games on a HD console, that's why most still plays like the PS2 JRPG's. the Tales games and DQ games know how to make their games and they do it. Atleast that's my problem with JRG's.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
.....Good lord, Sigma Harmonics....

Was it really that bad? Laughing I remember really wanting to play that game when I first heard about it, but then it never got translated and I kind of forgot about it.

Anyways, yeah it's kind of annoying that Atlus is milking P3 so much, but like previous posters have said, that's surely not what a big percentage of their development staff is working on right now. Atlus takes some big risks with the games it localizes, so if living off the success of P3 is what it takes to stay in business, let them whore away!
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Geez, ANOTHER Persona 3 remake?! And here I am still debating between P3P and FES...

A bit disappointing about the Tales series in general. I had Symphonia for years, but it usually got pushed aside for other games so I just recently beat it and the sequel and really enjoyed both. I was hoping the one that just hit for Wii would come out here, but from what people are saying, that's probably not happening.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
Saga 2: SE too busy with their Tube RPG stiffy
7th Dragon: Sega being too busy being failures at near everything they do
Tales of Hearts: Namco Bandai couldn't localize Tales thier way out of a wet paper bag that was on fire and already broken open.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
Shantae: I can't deny it but I know nothing of Shantae. I heard a lot of people love it since she's one of the most unique heroines in game history (a genie girl is a very original idea) but I also heard about that cancellation. I bet those fans I know will be real happy when I show them this article and screenshot.

P3 Social: Are you kidding me? Enough is enough already. Can we please have Innocent Sin here now, please?

On your topic of RPGs, the problem is the American market is less and less interested in Japan's idea of RPGs and more interested in online crap like WoW. So the genre is becoming purposely eschewed and at the same time, most morons just say stuff like this to discourage future attempts: "It's always a story about some anime kid with a sword saving the world."

SaGa 2: Now now Todd, not everyone loathes SaGa Frontier. It's a classic game now that everyone's mastered the gameplay features. Unlimited Saga was the loathed one, due to its randomness (seriously, Monopoly board maps?). A shame we didn't get this one. The art style seems very unique. You also mentioned SaGa Frontier 2 in your caption. That one was a cult title, since it was very un-SaGa (linear gameplay for once). Still, it was a memorable and melancholy game.

7th Dragon: Well the story sounds interesting (dragon-dominated world, that's my kind of world!), but weren't we supposed to get this one?

Tales of Hearts: As an avid Tales fan who has essentially given up on future Tales games coming here (it's been nearly 2 years since our last mothership localization people), I agree that we should have gotten Hearts. Hell we need Vesperia Complete, Graces, Innocence, Radiant Myth 2 and VS too! Hearts, according to a good friend of mine, was exceptionally well done; it had a very intriguing storyline with great characters. And of course Innes and her lovely...um...badass weapon. It's time to face facts though. Our U.S. Namco branch hates Tales, they just don't care.

Ivy the Kiwi?: The last kiwi game we got was Kiwi Kraze back on the NES and that game was pretty quirky. I noticed the caption you put for the game. You're talking about the video with the kiwi who wanted to fly and died doing it. Yeah that one really makes me cry sometimes.
Vent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
Geez, ANOTHER Persona 3 remake?! And here I am still debating between P3P and FES....

Did you actually read the part where it's a cell phone MMO?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills over here! This is never going to come out in the US. It's a product of the bizarro world that is the Japanese cell-phone network. Before Crisis had more chance of hitting the US.
RyougaZell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love the misinformation most of the pages are giving regarding Persona 3 Social.

For starters, this review points out that Atlus 'redisgned' the main characters. They never did such thing. They are new 'common' characters since this is a multiplayer cellphone game.

And secondary... are you guys even aware this isn't the 1st Persona 3 cellphone game? No? Would you guys be surprised if I tell it ain't the 2nd nor 3rd? Its the 6th one. Yes. 6th.

Persona 3: Aigis - The First Mission
Megami Tensei Chaining Soul: Persona 3
Megami Tensei QIX: Persona 3
Persona 3 Ain Soph
Persona 3 Mobile Online

All this spinoffs don't bother me because of the fact that they are cellphone games. The kind of games the Japanese get in tons and are 99% of the time not localized?

They are doing Catherine anyway, for those that want something else. And this game's main character, Vincent, already makes a cameo on Persona 3 Portable. Screenshots of Catherine also show a Teddie (Persona 4) plushie. The director also said Catherine is their debut on HD, before the next year RPG...
Sima Yi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Oh, and for adding comment for Tales of Hearts, it simply won't be coming because Bamco are complete idiots... Yes, I'll have to be the first to touch on it. You should see Namco's Facebook pages of loyal Tales fans posting their troll of the day... Persistance is good!

Yeah, it must be that Namco Bandai Games America is run by idiots. It can't have anything to do with Tales being a retail disaster in recent times. How much did Tales of the Abyss sell in North America again? 30K? How about all of those crummy Tales of the World games for the PSP? Did those even do as well as Abyss? With the money spent on localizing a single Tales game they could probably localize 3 or 4 crappy Naruto/DBZ games each of which would almost certainly sell more units.

Now what should they localize in the future? Expensive to localize JRPG which is almost guaranteed to be yet another Tales disaster or multiple crummy licence games which have been a reliable cash cow?

You over-zealous Tales fans are the ones who don't get it, not NBGA. Namco Bandai Games America is a subsidiary of Bandai Namco. It's primary goal is to make money and keep its parent company happy. In a brutal recession it's even more important for them to stick to products which will make money. If you want to blame someone needlessly, blame the alleged Tales fans who don't buy Tales games. I mean after all, the way over-zealous Tales fans tell the story, there's an entire giant army of people waiting to buy these games, yet whenever they come out, 90% of these fans seem to vanish off the face of the earth as if they were phantoms. It's almost like Tales isn't even half as popular as the zealots would have us believe!

Look, I'm as big as fan of Tales as anyone. Tales of Vesperia is my favourite Xbox 360 JRPG even. But blaming anything other than sales for the release status of this series is a little foolish, don't you think?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Dude no offense, but you don't know squat about the Tales fandom. There are a lot of people out there that want to play more of the series. We're not situated in one area you know. Some have resorted to mods and imports because we have no other choices left. It isn't primarily sales that are the issue here.
Sima Yi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:30 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Dude no offense, but you don't know squat about the Tales fandom. There are a lot of people out there that want to play more of the series. We're not situated in one area you know. Some have resorted to mods and imports because we have no other choices left. It isn't primarily sales that are the issue here.

By all means oh zealous one, please tell me where these legions of Tales fans were outside of Japan when Tales of the Abyss released. You know, because it was a retail disaster and all, so obviously you must have a really, really good story to explain why the massive armies of Tales fans somehow forgot to mobilize when every single Tales game was released in North America after Symphonia. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3