• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Angel Beats! Gets Another Epilogue Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
This show is worth watching. I started it and watched the first two episodes in a day. The next day I finished the series. Its addicting and very well done.
Koterrr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
It's a bit like The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (in more ways than one)

I wonder why people keep saying that. Is it because of Yurippe's character? Or a "brigade"? Or a coodere girl? Yeah, if you try, you can draw parallels between them, but they are totally different characters in totally different worlds (not just metaphorically speaking) and the theme is not even close.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:27 am Reply with quote
Koterrr wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:
It's a bit like The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (in more ways than one)

I wonder why people keep saying that. Is it because of Yurippe's character? Or a "brigade"? Or a coodere girl? Yeah, if you try, you can draw parallels between them, but they are totally different characters in totally different worlds (not just metaphorically speaking) and the theme is not even close.

Aside from the general fact that they're both supernatural comedy series with some serious elements, high production values, and fairly similar art styles: Yurippe's appearance, manner and character have some similarities (and obviously differences, which is why it is "a bit" similar). The brigade has similarities, including but not limited to the types of stunts they pull (at a high-school... which contrast with their grand ideals...), and the reactions of the 'straight man' protagonist to Haruhi's crazy/unexpected plans. They both have a central character who is a silent and seemingly emotionless/robotic girl who works 'magic' via something similar to computer programming. As mentioned, both series "simultaneously lambaste and pay tribute to tropes and cliches". The setting is sort of inverted, in that rather than a seemingly normal high-school that hides supernatural elements, you have a thoroughly supernatural world that seems like a normal high-school. The themes are certainly different, but they do both involve the Haruhi character spoiler[rebelling against the world's norms and later coming to a type of acceptance].

These are grounds enough to say the series are "a bit" similar, even disregarding things like "they both squeeze in performances by an all-female high school rock band" or whatever. If they were the same characters in the same world, I would have said "It is identical to Haruhi Suzumiya", or at least "It is a total rip-off of Suzumiya Haruhi". Similarities do not even have to be intentional in order to be similarities.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3