• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Working!! Restaurant Comedy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
@ Takeyo - Dude. Come on. Your other objections are all legit, but how can a title possibly even enter into the equation? You are getting dangerously close to "oooooooo, there's a pea under my 16th mattress" territory here.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
Ha, cute joke Zalis116.

My guess is that Working!! is to generic a name to get the rights to in the US or international market so they had to make the change. I'm thinking along the lines of Resident Evil AKA Biohazard.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Takeyo - Dude. Come on. Your other objections are all legit, but how can a title possibly even enter into the equation? You are getting dangerously close to "oooooooo, there's a pea under my 16th mattress" territory here.

Not in my opinion. I can understand renaming a show like Wagana no Orinara-sama (although I think they could have done a bit better than "Our Home's Fox Deity"). That's got to be a mouth-full for the average viewer. Working!!, on the other hand, is English. Really simple English. There's just seems to be no reason, outside of perhaps IP issues, to change it.

Anyway, as I indicated, it's all aggregate. I wouldn't refuse to buy this series solely on a silly title change. That would be as bad as refusing to buy simply because NISA isn't automatically pricing its releases into bargain bin territory. And I know no one here is doing that, Blood-. Wink
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
All this fuss over a name? Anime fans never cease to amaze me with their pickiness. Laughing

But what a nice surprise! This was an anime I never thought would get licenced. Working!! wasn't a hugely memorable show for me, but it was enjoyable and I wouldn't mind watching it again.

I'm not sure what the problems people are having with NIS's video? I have the two Toradora! sets and I haven't had any problems. Overall I'm satisfied with their releases though the boxes are a strange shape for my shelf...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Working!!, on the other hand, is English. Really simple English. There's just seems to be no reason, outside of perhaps IP issues, to change it. ...
I think the point was that whatever the reason for changing it ~ from unavoidable, though a problem too hard and expensive to fix, all the way to a poor marketing decision ...
... tossing the choice of the title on the balance when deciding whether or not to pick up a series is acting preciously sensitive to the point of the bizarre.

"Princess and the Pea" is not a mere loose analogy, its a direct isomorphism.

As far as "perhaps IP issues" ... if the animated Avatar had to change its name when being adapted for the big screen, because "Dancing with Ewoks" Avatar already had the name sewed up ... an existing US broadcast network series is definitely going to block an international television series from being distributed in the US under that name.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I'm not sure what the problems people are having with NIS's video? I have the two Toradora! sets and I haven't had any problems. Overall I'm satisfied with their releases though the boxes are a strange shape for my shelf...

There were some huge problems with the encodes of the first set (take a look a the "Toradora ghosting" threads). NISA gets huge marks in customer service for pressing a lot of replacement discs and mailing them out to anyone who was unhappy with the originals. Unfortunately, the packaging of those replacements ended up scratching the new discs, but again, NISA deserves recognition for offering replacements for the replacements.

The encodes of the second Toradora! set were fine, but that time around, someone goofed on the packaging and ended up damaging the slim cases, which came out ugly as @#$%. I've not heard of a replacement program there, but I was able to trade mine out for a couple of Funimation slim cases (thanks again, Zac!), which appear to from the same manufacturer.

Last edited by Takeyo on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
I wouldn't refuse to buy this series solely on a silly title change. That would be as bad as refusing to buy simply because NISA isn't automatically pricing its releases into bargain bin territory. And I know no one here is doing that, Blood-. Wink

Yeah, because not buying something because you judge it too expensive is JUST AS BAD as refusing to buy something because of a title change. Rolling Eyes I never cease to be astounded by some of the colossally stupid comments I see expressed by so-called anime fans.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
agila61, I fail to see how allowing a title change I find aesthetically displeasing to merely tip the scale when deciding whether to buy a show I don't particularly love or even have a desire to watch again from a company whose marketing strategy I find unappealing and whose releases have been problematic for me in the past can be taken as overly sensitive.

We are not amused.

. . .

Wait, strike that last bit. Smile
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't care about the title change here, in fact I think it would be more memorable move there. This is because a lot of people would be REALLY confused if they come across an anime series that is titled "Working!!" (which some people would think that someone is working on an anime).

Apparently, I don't mind NIS America licensing more anime (as long as it is a title that I personally don't care about), but I would rather prefer them re-release their sub-only anime with dubs in the future. In fact, I feel really uncomfortable of NIS America picking up Working!! (or any anime in particular) because they haven't taken steps into dubbing. If NIS America doesn't re-release Toradora! with a dub by 2012, I'm putting all the blame in this douchebag (in fact, blame everything on this guy for Toradora! not getting a dub). I really want to hear more Hynden Walch and Cristina Vee (as Minorin and Taiga respectively from Toradora!).

Note that I'm giving NIS America two years to do this.

Last edited by Dark Paladin X on Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Sigh this one would have been awesome dubbed
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
So if Working!! were dubbed, then what would Poplar call Souta by screwing up a syllable each time? Since dub tracks call characters by their first name, so therefore the Takanashi -> Katanashi jokes (and there are a lot of them) wouldn't work. So what would the English dub be? Soda? Har har. That's so funny. Rolling Eyes
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So if Working!! were dubbed, then what would Poplar call Souta by screwing up a syllable each time? Since dub tracks call characters by their first name, so therefore the Takanashi -> Katanashi jokes (and there are a lot of them) wouldn't work. So what would the English dub be? Soda? Har har. That's so funny. Rolling Eyes

The Clannad dub still have Nagisa call Tomoya by the last name most of the time. But I think this is joke that can be worked around, just like how Bang Zoom! worked out the jokes at Lucky Star when they are dubbing them in English.

And I prefer them to dub Toradora! first, then license more anime. Otherwise, they'll be slowly losing their supporting fans like Bandai is doing.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

The Clannad dub still have Nagisa call Tomoya by the last name most of the time. But I think this is joke that can be worked around, just like how Bang Zoom! worked out the jokes at Lucky Star when they are dubbing them in English.

And I prefer them to dub Toradora! first, then license more anime. Otherwise, they'll be slowly losing their supporting fans like Bandai is doing.

............... you took the worked right out of my mouth. We all know that Toradora did well so why isn't NIS holding up their part of the bargain and dubbing it.

It's cool and all that they got this show, but unless they show signs of dubbing soon I will loose interest in them for good.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty happy that this is coming out, although I don't get the name change. I'm worried about what "hard cover art book" will do to the price, especially since the art of Working wasn't anything mind blowing so for me it's a book of crap that's just jacking up the price.

Anyways, here's hoping retail price is $40 tops and this doesn't end up getting recalled like other NIS shows.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I just don't understand why a name change is a big deal, regardless of the reason, because nobody seems to care in other industries. Car companies market the same car under different names all the time, but you don't hear people saying "I'm not buying a Volt/4Runner/Ballade because they called it the Ampera/Hilux Surf/Civic first."

Megiddo wrote:
So if Working!! were dubbed, then what would Poplar call Souta by screwing up a syllable each time? Since dub tracks call characters by their first name, so therefore the Takanashi -> Katanashi jokes (and there are a lot of them) wouldn't work. So what would the English dub be? Soda? Har har. That's so funny.

Is Takanashi -> Katanashi funny? I don't speak Japanese, so I wouldn't know. I probably wouldn't even recognize this as a joke if I read it in subtitles, I would think it was a typo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7