• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Anime In Three Dimensions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
FYI, Fathom Events just informed me via Twitter that they're screening GANTZ on 1/20. Locations and ticket sales date TBD, obviously.

Loving the feedback - I realize that the genre is really broad and I missed a lot of stuff, which is why I solicited feedback in my closing statement. This will make excellent ammo for MORE MIKE TALKING ABOUT LIVE-ACTION ANIME STUFF column, coming next year! Very Happy

Well then you might be interested to see the Live Action Negima tv series where they decided that no one would care if Negi was played by a Japanese girl. It also has a large portion of the cast as adults playing children, and the music is a bad ripoff of Harry Potter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHCCoO1AGLQ
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
ugh... You just had to remind me of the live action Fist of the North Star Crying or Very sad
treatment

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
the best live-action adaptation of an anime/manga title I'd seen so far was still the H2 ~Kimi to itahibi show.

it's a really well-acted and stuff for a japanese live-action tv show. almost as good as any k-drama.

in the other extreme end of the spectrum, you get Pretty Guardian, which actually was not that bad either. it was really ridiculously hammy and stuff, but whatcha gonna do? it's a damn magical girl show with really pretty asian girls. Very Happy

there's also that Boys Over Flowers k-drama adaptation that alot of people I know (mostly girls and women) are really crazy about.

The Touch movie drama was relatively ok for the most part and surprisingly well-acted, too. Just quite short and quite a bit of a director's bizarro adaptation (or re-imaging) for a rather well-known institutional anime/manga title in Japan.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:20 am Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
Some of the Japanese live action stuff would not be so bad if it wasn't for the awful acting.
That can be said for just about every country with a film industry. Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Mike Toole wrote:
FYI, Fathom Events just informed me via Twitter that they're screening GANTZ on 1/20. Locations and ticket sales date TBD, obviously.

Loving the feedback - I realize that the genre is really broad and I missed a lot of stuff, which is why I solicited feedback in my closing statement. This will make excellent ammo for MORE MIKE TALKING ABOUT LIVE-ACTION ANIME STUFF column, coming next year! Very Happy

Well then you might be interested to see the Live Action Negima tv series where they decided that no one would care if Negi was played by a Japanese girl. It also has a large portion of the cast as adults playing children, and the music is a bad ripoff of Harry Potter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHCCoO1AGLQ
The whole concept is a bad ripoff of Harry Potter with copious amount of fanservice to try and glaze over that fact. Wink
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
I'm rather partial to the 1997 Eko Eko Azarak TV series (JET TV's English dub is something I should've recorded) and the first two movies ('95 and '96). Never read the original manga, though I've seen a few panels.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:47 am Reply with quote
In my travels—often while looking up information on hentai OAVs—I've run across live action versions of:

• U-Jin's Angel (released by Media Blasters)
H de Happy Pin! Pin! Pin! (based on a manga by Takeshi Oshima)
Ogenki Clinic (released by Media Blasters)
Tales Trilogy, The (Kōnai Shasei, AKA Tales of…)
Weather Report Girl (both released by CPM/Asia Pulp Cinema: Weather Woman and Weather Woman Returns)

Additionally, Milk Morinaga's Dakaretai Onna ("Her Need for Embrace") was adapted into an OAV with live action framing scenes—which were the highlight of the show; and the Cream Lemon anthology series includes a live action movie and video.

As for non-hentai, there was a movie and a video series of live-action adaptations of Shonan Bakusozoku, as well as the Kamikaze Girls movie.

More here. (This is a hidden link, which was concealed to cut down on the number of submissions in this category of the Encyclopedia.)

Off topic, there is also the (non-hentai) live action/anime mix Twilight of the Cockroaches, which Streamline Pictures released on dubbed VHS, and sublicensed(?) to Lumivision for release on subtitled laserdisc.

:::

List of adaptations mentioned so far:

8th Man
20th Century Boys (movie (multiple))
Akihabara@DEEP
Ambassador Magma (TV series)
Angel (video/movie)
Antique
Ashita no Joe (movie)
Astro Boy (TV series (Japan) and movie (U.S.A.))
Basilisk (movie)
Be-Bop-Highschool (movie (multiple))
Bio-Booster Armor Guyver, The (movie (two))
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (TV series)
Blood: The Last Vampire (movie (U.S.A.))
Blue Spring
Casshern (movie)
City Hunter (movie (Hong Kong))
Cromartie High School (TV series)
Crying Freeman (movie (France/Canada))
Cutie Honey (movie and video)
Death Note (movies (two))
Detroit Metal City (movie)
Devilman (movie)
Dororo (movie)
Dragon Ball (movie (three: Taiwan, Korea, and U.S.A.))
Dragonhead
Drifting Classroom (movie)
Eko Eko Azarak (TV series and three movies)
Fist of the North Star (movie (U.S.A.))
Fruits Basket
Giant Robo (TV series)
Golgo 13 (movie)
G-Saviour (movie—inspired by anime)
Great Teacher Onizuka (TV series)
H de Happy Pin! Pin! Pin! (video)
H2 (TV series)
Hana yori Dango (TV series (three): Taiwan, Korea, and Japan)
Hanzo the Razor (movie (three))
Honey and Clover
Initial D (movie (Hong Kong))
Iria (movie (two—source of anime))
Itazura na Kiss (TV series (three): Japan, Korea, and Taiwan (three))
Kamen Rider (TV series (multiple))
Kamui
Kekko Kamen (movie (three))
Kimi ni Todoke
La Blue Girl (video (three))
Lady Snowblood (movie (two))
Last Quarter
Lone Wolf and Cub (movie (six) and TV series)
Lovely Complex
Lupin the 3rd (movie)
Maison Ikkoku (movie and TV series)
NANA (movie (two))
Negima (TV series)
Nodame Cantabile
Ogenki Clinic (video/movie)
Oldboy (movie (Korea))
Phoenix (movie: live action/anime mix)
Prince of Tennis
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (movie (Hong Kong))
Rose of Versailles (movie)
Rough
Saikano
Seigi no Mikata (TV series)
Shonan Bakusozoku (movie and video (four?))
Solanin (movie)
Speed Racer (movie (U.S.A.))
Sukeban Deka (TV series (three))
Tales Trilogy, The (video (multiple))
Tetsujin 28
Uchū Senkan Yamato (movie)
Uzumaki
Vampire (TV series)
Weather Report Girl
Yatterman (movie)
Yawara! (TV series)
You're Under Arrest (TV series)

In development/pre-release:

Akira (movie (U.S.A.))
Battle Angel (movie (U.S.A.))
Bunny Drop (TV series?)
Cowboy Bebop (movie (U.S.A.))
Death Note (movie (U.S.A.))
GANTZ (movie)
Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, The (movie (U.S.A.))
Mai, the Psychic Girl (movie (U.S.A.))
MPD Psycho (movie (U.S.A.))
Neon Genesis Evangelion (movie (U.S.A.))
Ninja Scroll (movie (U.S.A.))
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The whole concept is a bad ripoff of Harry Potter with copious amount of fanservice to try and glaze over that fact. Wink

I suggest you read the manga, Negima has very little to do with Harry Potter. The plots are completely different, with Negima emphasizing that the average person doesn't go around wanting to harm people, and that means Negi's enemies shouldn't either. It's just that Negi doesn't agree with the methods that his enemies use.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I suggest you read the manga, Negima has very little to do with Harry Potter. The plots are completely different, with Negima emphasizing that the average person doesn't go around wanting to harm people, and that means Negi's enemies shouldn't either. It's just that Negi doesn't agree with the methods that his enemies use.

I wouldn't called Negima a copied off of Harry Potter. I did recalled Ken Akamatsu said he did like the Harry Potter series and I can tell it sort of influence the series, but not a rip-off.

Anyway, back on topic. I was suprised that Mike didn't mention the live-action Higurashi and the 2 Battle Royale live action movie. I haven't got chance to see the live-action Higurashi or the Battle Royale movie (I heard the second one was bad in term of acting and script). Also, I didn't like the live-action Negima. There was a lot of thing wrong with it, I like to see another good adaptation of that show, can Japan team up with UK for the live-action Negima, it would look more convincing if Negi was played by a British actor not a Japanese actress. I seem the trailer for Gantz and it does look very interesting and I'm glad to see the movie is coming to US. One other thing though. You forgot Taiwan has done several live-action stuff like:

-Mars (based on the manga by Fuyumi Soryo)
-Meteor Garden (based on Boys over Flower)
-It started with a Kiss (based on Itazura Na Kiss) (poster for it below)

I did recalled Korea has also adapted Boys over Flower also.

Below is Playful Kiss, Korean live-action version of Itazura Na Kiss.

I would love to see a North American and a South American telenovela adaptation of Boys over Flowers, Itazura Na Kiss, and Mars since I like the story so much and also what's wrong with non-Asian countries try to adapt these for these countries. Again and Again, people complain about how US and non-Asian countries turn anime and manga into live-action movie but yet never complain about Japan and Asia doing these despite the fact some of them were horrible. Talk about double standard-Asian supremacy hypocrisy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
treatment

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:55 am Reply with quote
Talk about old-school title, I just found out that the old Video Girl Ai live-action movie was actually subbed recently.

iirc, the live-action movie itself was not that half-bad in the adaptation considering the year it was made/released and the material they actually had. The acting was tolerable and you gotta give those actors some leeway for honestly trying to make a good an adaptation as they can. The usual overacting/underacting was at a tolerable minimum, fortunately.

Of course, the anime-ova's was alot lot better (in both japanese and english-dubbed versions) and the manga version was still superior to either one. Yeah. I still have both the old VIZ/Pioneer dvd and the complete manga set of VGAi. Very Happy

That said, I wonder if (or rather, hoping) the old old Miyuki and Hiatari Ryoko live-action versions will show up sometime soon and subbed, too. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3