• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Licenses [2005-04-30]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:43 am Reply with quote
Professor Genius wrote:

If they're smart about it, they won't deal with all those puns. They'll get some clever and funny person to write the ADR script, thus sparing the average dub viewer who could care less about retardedly obscure jokes and give us some funny crap. Unfortunately, what we'll likely get is a dub that sticks very close to the original script, which is a loss for those of us who don't like checking liner notes just to get a joke that wasn't funny to begin with.

I kind of agree, but if shows like Azumanga and Cromartie, it will feel like I shouldn't have bought it when I could catch it on the WB if they drop all the obscure jokes, heck most of the jokes are the bread and butter or the show. Shows like these keep most of Japan only puns in the subs, and letting few slip though in the dub if it's a main part of the story, atleast afar as what ADV has done in the past. As longs as there are linear notes to answer all the "WTF?" questions, I'll like the jokes to stay, atleast stay in the Japanese subtitles part.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Kyuuketsuki_Kurai wrote:
Bottle Fairy looks really cute, and I'll probably give it a shot. Battleship Operations is supposed to be good. But... I'm unsure of the Doki Doki School Hours one. Is it actually any good? I haven't heard anything about it.

It's kinda of like Azumanga Daioh...but not nearly as good. They really overplay a lot of the running jokes pretty quickly...I wouldn't really recomend it.
Zapharan

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Kyuuketsuki_Kurai wrote:
Bottle Fairy looks really cute, and I'll probably give it a shot. Battleship Operations is supposed to be good. But... I'm unsure of the Doki Doki School Hours one. Is it actually any good? I haven't heard anything about it.

It's kinda of like Azumanga Daioh...but not nearly as good. They really overplay a lot of the running jokes pretty quickly...I wouldn't really recomend it.

Azumanga seems somewhat overrated to me. I never even got around to watching the last 6 or so episodes. It's a good series, but I just got tired of it. I thought Sensei no Ojikan (Doki Doki School Hours) was just as good though (at least the first 8 episodes, since that's all I've seen). It's not the exact same type of show as Azu, it's a bit different (not as random and crazy). But it does have really great (weird) characters, decent story, etc., and is pretty funny and enjoyable. If you haven't seen it, it's definitely worth checking out IMO.
Last Exile

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:54 am Reply with quote
Doki Doki School Hours = lame version of Azumanga Daioh
Bottle Fairy = Lame version of A Little Snow Fairy Sugar
Starship Operators = lame version of already lame reality TV

Wow, they licensed three compeltely crap titles. Suddenly my opinion of Geneon has plummeted.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:56 am Reply with quote
Last Exile wrote:

Wow, they licensed three compeltely crap titles. Suddenly my opinion of Geneon has plummeted.

Wow. You listed three titles as lame versions of something they're not, with no real justification. Suddenly, my opinion of you has plummeted.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Last Exile wrote:

Wow. You listed three titles as lame versions of something they're not, with no real justification. Suddenly, my opinion of you has plummeted.

LOL! Laughing
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Ah, words of wisdom. "Another man trash, is another man treasure." IMO are friggn' awsome. *Goes back to watching DB GT for laughs.*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Last Exile

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Last Exile wrote:

Each to their own.

Forgive me if your opinion doesn't prompt me to send you a suicide note in the mail.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Last Exile wrote:

So are you going to boycott Geneon now for licensing titles that you're not interested in? Of course, you are entitled to your own opinion, but it seems like you expect that Geneon has to only license titles that you like. I actually have a higher opinion of Geneon now, since they licensed Bottle Fairy. That title isn't a masterpiece, but I like diversity in anime and would definitely support a title such as that. I just hope that their licensing decisions will eventually pay off because I have supported them over the years, and I greatly appreciate the titles that I have bought from them. Now I think it is typical that Geneon licenses titles such as Bottle Fairy and I hope that the company will also be the one to license Pita-Ten.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
SnowfairyX wrote:
So are you going to boycott Geneon now for licensing titles that you're not interested in?

Actually, in a sense, that's exactly what he's doing. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't buy it. However, I doubt there is such a thing as a one-man boycott.

[OPINION]Geneon seems to be picking up those "outside the box" kind of anime such as the aforementioned as well as stuff like Melody of Obilvion (since when is Gainax ever inside the box) DearS (although it's a carbon copy) Yugo the Negotiator, etc. I don't mind, although I don't really care about these releases. What's interesting to me is that I feel that they are a prohibitive favorite to license Tsubasa Chronicle.[/OPINION]
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Last Exile wrote:

I don't know if you guys agree with me, but Bottle Fairy looks like a Japanese Muppet Babies or Baby Looney Tunes clone for me. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3