• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oreshura/Ore no Kanojo (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:53 am Reply with quote
I think "unofficial couple" is a fair term to use. It explains why Chiwa would get upset, because she thought that Eita was already interested in her. Or at least, that he should be interested in her.

He outright said that he saw her as a sister, and she got upset, because she realised that he didn't think of her in the way she thought he did. If there was ever a time to tell Eita her feelings and try and make him see her in a new light it was then, but she didn't.

It is easy for us looking outside in to see the signals, but it's not so easy for him as he doesn't have the perspective we have. We know the trope that's being played out. We can see up close Chiwa's facial expressions. And we haven't been friends with Chiwa for nine years, so there's no friendship baggage for us. Eita thinks of her as a friend because that's how she's always been to him, but she wants to turn the friendship into a relationship without having the decency to tell him. She just expects him to know, as if he had a crystal ball.

Also, kids who have been together from a young age rarely marry. It's called the Westermarck Effect, and it gives an in-universe explanation as to why Eita - like many male Anime leads - isn't attracted to his childhood friend. He and Chiwa grew up almost as brother and sister, and it doesn't matter that they are not related. To put it quite simply, due to knowing her since he was young his brain is not wired to think of her in a sexual way. Of course, it doesn't explain why Chiwa - as per the typical female childhood friend stereotype - wants to jump his bones, but hey, this is Anime we're talking about.

I'll repeat what I said before; dense male leads make me groan. But most of the blame for Chiwa's current predicament lies with Chiwa, not Eita. I would argue that perhaps Chiwa should start acting normal first, and once she's done that, then we'll start on Eita.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:08 am Reply with quote
I agree with Dtm, as most of the blame should be on Chiwa. Eita cares enough about Chiwa that he changed his lazy lifestyle to a serious one. He basically went from a C student to an A+ student because he wants to become a doctor and protect Chiwa. Unfortunately for her, his love for her is like a older brother's love for a younger sister. Also do not forget the most important thing, he had a terrible upbringing towards love. His parents got divorced, they found new partners, and they basically abandoned him when he was only in middle school. So "love" was the reason his family broke apart and thus he holds a grudge towards it. So you have to cut him a break, if he can't pick up the fact Chiwa loves him. I hate dense males as much as the next guy, but he really has no experience with love and has a good reason to hate it. Also there is a chance his mind is preventing him from seeing any love, out of fear that it might ruin his good relationship with Chiwa.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
I would think that, after his experience with his parents, he would be tend to pick up on things like this more, not less. His reaction isn't one of not wanting to be a part of it, he comes across as having literally no idea.

Whether it's his fault isn't really related to whether he's denser than a neutron star. I think the complainers here aren't passing a judgment on the character, but on the writers.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Whether it's his fault isn't really related to whether he's denser than a neutron star. I think the complainers here aren't passing a judgment on the character, but on the writers.

I am not sure how you can make that separation. But no matter.

I think dtm42's counter-argument is perfectly reasonable -- in any relationship there is responsibility on both sides. In this case we have two partners trying to out-idiot each other for the title of over-bakka. Even so, just because one is dense doesn't excuse the other.

It is, however, understandable. The whole point of teen romance comedy is that kids usually screw up their romantic feelings and prospects and in that respect Oreshura/Ore is absolutely on formula. And these two characters have in addition to inexperience other circumstances that would lead them to mistakes, not the least of which is their common antagonist.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
on a different note, Masuzu was more likable this week. what ever she was trying to do to Chiwa failed and caught her off guard enough to prevent her from coming up with another manipulative scheme.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Finally got caught up on this one, and I like how the dynamic is working here. Seeing Masuzu's plans succeed magnificently but in an utterly different way than she anticipated has been fun to watch and the depth of the Eita/Chiwa connection has been unexpectedly strong. I'm definitely curious to see where they go from here, especially now that spoiler[Masuzu also seems to fully understand what's connecting the two of therm].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Eita can join Chunibyoi Demo Koi ga Shitai Rikka's club. lol
Durga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
The romance in this show isn't actually bad. For once I'm able to accept that the main guy is oblivious to his childhood friend's love, because he's never thought of her as a romantic option and instead family. Most telling about their relationship is that he considers her a spoiler[LITTLE sister figure, despite her technically being older. It could easily get creepy, but his big brother attitude actually comes across as endearing, even if he is oblivious to her intents.] I saw her intents from a mile away, but if you think of someone in that way, you probably wouldn't seriously consider that she was in love with you.

Though the comedy is really what has me happy with this show. The basic premise of using the fantasies of some guy without his consent to make a girl popular and actually have those plans work? Hilarious, especially with the way Masuzu has the two main characters wrapped around her fingers. It's almost a dark comedy at times considering the glee she takes in manipulating Eita, but I really like it.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

spoiler[Poor Chiwa got played and fooled on her first date.
Masuzu's little lesson for her was really cruel.
Eita got to play white knight, but turned out to be pathetic.
In the end, he was the one that got rescued by Chiwa.
Seems like Masuzu isn't actually half bad, just hard to understand.]
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Since I've been watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure alongside this show, the direct references add a little extra amusement for me. Smile
It seems that spoiler[the 3rd girl is someone who had/has chuunibyou and probably shared a common interest with Eita in the past.]

Edit: Also, unlike Chuu2Koi, I really like that Eita doesn't suppress his past as much and goes all out when he wants to.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3.

I didn't really enjoy it that much -- I just don't relate to and am not amused by Eita's fantasy super-hero schtick. It's really pointless. If you are going to stick up for someone, don't make it an embarrassing joke.

Another thing that was tiresome is the whole deal where the man-in-the-middle feels the need to lie to both ends, and then suffering ongoing stress for it. Can't he just spoiler[say to Chiwa, "hey Masuzu just showed up and wants to make me breakfast. Ant to Masuzu: "Chiwa's using my bathroom because hers is broken." It's not like he did anything wrong whatsoever, but he has to act totally guilty of something.] It's a lazy joke.

Oh, well. This show has potential I'm sure it will do better. spoiler[The unexpected kiss was interesting. They should have spent more time on the "I am evil" facade that Eita started to pick apart but let it go.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh God, the Jojo references are hilarious this episode. spoiler[That kiss scene is from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure's episode 1 from Phantom Blood that debuted in October of this year related to Dio. If it went further, it would of involved that puddle of water.]

Anyways, amusing episode and definitely better than the previous imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
still don't like Masuzu, but Chiwa spoiler[destroying those guys with kendo] was pretty awesome
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

spoiler[Suzu was once again mean to Chiwa.
Sometimes I really think what is her problem?!
Maybe she has some stray feelings for Eita after all..
Those love letters in Eita's foot locker smelled like trouble.
The pool part was pretty much LOL and embarrassing.
Himeka's confession on the school roof was kinda nice.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone besides me think the story could be improved some by having Chiwa kick Masuzu's ass? It would be good for both of them actually. Of course Chiwa would never do that, even after having her face pushed into her lunch.

That notwithstanding, it was a good development to see the vulnerable side of Masu. And it would seem that the bitch factor runs in the family.

Although I like the story in general, the persistent stupidity that seems to be required of the male harem lead is tiresome and far too predictable. Do you have to look incredibly guilty when you haven't done anything wrong?

From the ending credits, we have one more girl joining the harem after this one, which fills the quota for the otaku archetype. How exciting.

I'll say one good thing about it though (which is what I will keep watching for although I think I could just skip to the end) is that I don't think it is certain anymore that Eita is going to end up paired with Masuzu. The way they are setting it up he will either end up with none of them or they will have a Shuffle solution.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9