• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk (TV 1997).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:27 am Reply with quote
Jabberwock wrote:
Craving more Berserk???? I know I was when I first finished the series, and still am after 4 years! Twisted Evil Try getting the manga, its up to volume 30 in Japan now I believe. Not sure where they are at in America, but it is being released over here. Another season would be wonderful, but it definitly "probably" wont happen atleast until they finish the manga, which is gonna be a while.

9 just hit the shelves here in the US. Dark Horse is releasing them 3 months a part, so it will take another year for them to surpass the events of the series. Still a good worthwhile purchase.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
SirWence wrote:
[But you are right there wont be a 'sequel' untill the manga actually ends.. who knows when that will happen though Razz

I don't think they'll be a sequel at all. The anime is pretty outdated in japan. Anime companies don't usually run out and make sequel because the manga end.
Iemander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
The anime perhaps, but the manga is still running hot. There's not a single doubt in my mind that a sequel will come out, or maybe just a complete reanimation of everything.

And the anime and manga are pretty much exactly the same imo, with a few distant changes.
Tetsaiga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
How many mangas are there in North america? I cant seem to find them where i live.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Volume 9 just came out last month in the U.S.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:

9 just hit the shelves here in the US. Dark Horse is releasing them 3 months a part, so it will take another year for them to surpass the events of the series. Still a good worthwhile purchase.

From Chris Warner, editor of Berserk
Quote:
As for the schedule of Berserk, there are a lot of considerations we have to make when we're looking at a book program. Around the time we were gearing up for Berserk, our bookstore buyers gave us the consensus that they preferred that books in a series arrive about three months apart, giving the individual stores adequate time to sell through their orders. The other aspects to consider are factors that take into consideration when you'll either reach a manga series end or catch up with its Japanese release. If the series is close-ended (no more new material being published in Japan), you can pretty much choose whatever schedule you like; when the series is ongoing, however, the sooner you catch up, the sooner you foul up your release schedule--you go from a book every three months to suddenly having no books appear for up to a year. That's generally hurtful to backlist sales and the interest overall of the series. For you folks here, the real hardcore Berserk fans, I know that's frustrating, because you want to read those books NOW. Remember, though, that the majority of people who read Berserk are more casual about it, and increasing the release schedule means that they have to spend a lot more money on Berserk. Some will choose to bail, and we'll lose readers. Although we care a lot about what the hardcore think and want, we have to also "listen" to the readers who don't get involved heavily, and that's probably 97% of the audience. It's a balancing act. That said, market conditions have changed somewhat since we first published Berserk, and its success in America now looks pretty firm, and we've probably weeded out the most casual readers--if you're still on board after nine volumes, you're probably in it for the long haul, so we are considering moving to a bimonthly schedule; remember, though, that unlike most of our manga, we're co-publishing Berserk with Digital Manga, so this isn't solely a Dark Horse call. Also, we have to solicit material almost a year in advance, so if we do move the schedule up, you probably won't see it until Fall of 2006.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:56 am Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:
The anime perhaps, but the manga is still running hot. There's not a single doubt in my mind that a sequel will come out, or maybe just a complete reanimation of everything.

And the anime and manga are pretty much exactly the same imo, with a few distant changes.

FAQ from Skullknight.net

Quote:
Is there a second season of the Berserk anime? Will there be?

The short answer is NO. Studio VAP produced the 25-episode series Kenpyuu Denki: Berserk in 1998 in Japan and have announced no plans of producing further episodes. Media Blasters acquired the rights to Berserk in 2002 and published 6 DVDs (details here) in America. There are constant rumors of a second-season. However, these are likely based on wishful thinking alone, and have no basis in fact.
Why aren't Skull Knight/Silat/Wyald/Puck in the anime?

Several characters were omitted from the anime adaptation of BERSERK. These include the elf Puck, the apostle Wyald, Silatt, the Bakiraka and several others. Each of these character removals were done so the anime would be self-contained in 25 episodes.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:17 am Reply with quote
According to the latest issue of Anime Insider, the Beserk Anime only covered 12 Volumes.

The Beserk Manga encompasses 28 Volumes. Something doesn't add up here.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:20 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
According to the latest issue of Anime Insider, the Beserk Anime only covered 12 Volumes.

Well anime are not obligated to cover everything in the manga (see Gantz, fruit basket, kare kano and many more) The manga cover like vol. 4 to 13 I believe. They skip the first 3 volume of the manga so it was never animated, thus leaving out key characters like Puck, Silatt and others. They play a major roles later on, thus they probably need to redo the first season in order to produce a second season.

It's been almost 8 years since its original anime production.
Iemander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:15 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
FAQ from Skullknight.net

Don't you think I already know all that mate?

A: I said what I said because popular manga like to get translated to screen, especially when they look as hot as Berserk, however, wrapped up manga must seem much more attractive than half finished one, and I'm not surprised animation studios want to wait till its done at the extremely slow pace the manga's being released.

But other than that, I'm damn sure there'll someday be another anime run of Berserk.

B: Yeah I definitely call that a few distant changes in the plot. Other people think it's the end of the world, but it's not really, Puk would've loved the 5 minutes of air show, Wyald is a bit of a shame but actually not really that much (He was afterall, just another apostle that nobody cared about really).
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:06 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Well anime are not obligated to cover everything in the manga (see Gantz, fruit basket, kare kano and many more) The manga cover like vol. 4 to 13 I believe. They skip the first 3 volume of the manga so it was never animated, thus leaving out key characters like Puck, Silatt and others. They play a major roles later on, thus they probably need to redo the first season in order to produce a second season.

It's been almost 8 years since its original anime production.

I know that, just a FYI for the uninformed.
remember love

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:20 am Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
SirWence wrote:
[But you are right there wont be a 'sequel' untill the manga actually ends.. who knows when that will happen though Razz

I don't think they'll be a sequel at all. The anime is pretty outdated in japan. Anime companies don't usually run out and make sequel because the manga end.

Well example, being against this case is vampirehunter D: Bloodlust. The first film came out what around 1985 and the second movie (bloodlust) didn't come out until 2002. So I think that goess against your theory. Also, I believe blue submarine no.6 was a manga way back in the 80s or 70s then made into an anime in the 90s by another person...so it's possible that a new gun may decide to get the rights to create his own sequal. (I'm not 100% sure of the information on bluesubmarine no6 but I remember him talking about it on the complementory for the special features I got with the special edition.)

Last edited by remember love on Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:56 am Reply with quote
Blue Submarine 06 was an original gonzo production, not based on a Manga.

Bloodlust is also not a sequal to the original, it is just an appending production (it doesnt follow the same plot as the first one nor does it continue, it also has a completely different production staff and writers and what not).
dan206

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:13 am Reply with quote
I finished watching Berserk a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say it is by far the best ainme i've ever seen. I think they should make this into a 3 part major motion picture like LOTR. I know it will problay never happen but i can always dream.
remember love

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:51 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Blue Submarine 06 was an original gonzo production, not based on a Manga.

Bloodlust is also not a sequal to the original, it is just an appending production (it doesnt follow the same plot as the first one nor does it continue, it also has a completely different production staff and writers and what not).

Did you watch the commentary for bluesubmarine? the creator did state that there was a comic book in which the idea was created, I'll even watch it later today and place a quote off it just to make sure I am not wrong which I'm pretty positive that I'm right almost 80% sure of it.

As far as Bloodlust goes in my opinion that counts as sequel. Just because it has a different storyline it's still based on the same idea of D going out after vampires and having a mysterious past that still mysterious after the endings of both movies where you still want to know more. You learn a little bit more of D's past in both movies....that spills sequals to me of trying to find out his past (though the books go more into details which I like).So in my book it counts as a sequal because it isn't an alternate universe and doesn't stray from the ideas of the main character and through out both movies you're wondering about D's past how he became to be after the first on the second one explains some more.

Here are some quotes from websites that also agree it's a sequal(please note this isn't advertisement these are just sources as if you used in language paper that support theories):
Quote:
http://reviews.theotaku.com/view.php?action=retrieve&id=10:
Fans of the original Vampire Hunter D were given a collective shock when a sequel was announced sooo many years later. And what a sequel it has become!

http://www.animefu.com/index.pl?node_id=7805
That is why I'm certain the sequel to this film will be much better

http://animeworld.com/reviews/vampirehunterd.html
This movie has a sequel, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, that is loosely based on the third novel in the series

http://www.ybfree.com/2VAMPIRED1.html
If you liked the first film, you will love the sequel. The fans clapped for every big scene and went nuts just seeing the title screen come up. This movie by far blows the original out of the water. This time D is joined by other bounty hunters, each armed with cool weapons that totally kicked ass. Stealth arrows, twirling blades, and more make for a vampire's worst nightmare.

These are just some examples of there are alot more websites out there that state the same thing that it IS a sequel.While the official homepage doesn't say if it's a sequal or not it doesn't say much of anything to begin with. But I think my sources up there prove my point.

And as far as the it had a completely different production staff and writer etc. that just proves what I said...that some new guy might be willing to come along and make a sequel. But also you do realize that both films were based off a books first film based on the first book Vampire Hunter D..Second film based on third book Vampire Hunter D :Demon death chase.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10