• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fractale Production Committee Halts N. American Simulcast

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vastoceans

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I hate to go all internet here, but...

LOLWUT?

Giving it to people that are happy with legal streaming and official Funi releases and then taking it away for such asinine reasons is ultimately going to lead to quite a few of us seeking out the show through more nefarious means. Seems a bit like shooting yourself in the foot, Fractale Production Committee. Well done.

I actually kind of feel bad for Funi.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
It's almost as if they were trying to find a reason to put a stop to Funi simulcasting the show. Assuming Funi had to pay for streaming rights, would they still be forced to pay even though they arent allowed to stream the shows?

And I agree with everyone else, in that this is just like Sony trying to put the genie back in the bottle after the PS3 got hacked, it isn't gonna happen.

As I struggled with the idiocy of this situation, this thought occurred to me as well. That the FPC wanted Funi to stop streaming Fractale for reason "X" (whatever it is) but for whatever reason couldn't admit that was the reason, so they pulled this, "erm, stop all illegal streams/downloads" insanity out of their bungholes. I just can't take this at face value because it's too insane.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
We understand your frustration, but it should be directed towards the speedsub groups that created this problem.

Lance Heiskell
Marketing Director

No, it's Japan's fault for thinking you can stop the speedsub group based in Sweden who get their RAWs straight from a Japanese uploader.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gentry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Gentry wrote:
I think they might be on about the illegal copies of the "funmation stream" (so their subs etc) online but I'm not sure. I don't think they were talking about any old fansub of the show as that doesn't make sense. The RAW would have come from japan in the first place in that case.

Boy, you'd think that, wouldn't you?

But nope. We clarified with Funimation on this. They mean everything.
Now that is insane. It's not Funmation's duty to protect any other copy of the show apart from their own. That's being unreasonable to expect them to do someone else's job in clearing all other fansubs (which with the nature of the internet is an impossible job in the first place.)

Crazy, crazy world.
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
We understand your frustration, but it should be directed towards the speedsub groups that created this problem.

Well, you have my condolences at least.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:

Lance Heiskell
Marketing Director

Sorry, Lance, but while technically you are right, here in the real world that doesn't cut any ice. Does the FPC actually believe that Funi has the power to shut down EVERY illegal rip/fansub of Fractale on the Internet??? What do you guys plan to do after lunch? Cure cancer?
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
lheiskell wrote:

Lance Heiskell
Marketing Director

No, it's Japan's fault for thinking you can stop the speedsub group based in Sweden who get their RAWs straight from a Japanese uploader.

Sure, blame it entirely on fansubs Rolling Eyes
Not that fansubs aren't part of the problem but idiotic production companies need to learn how the internet works...

Anyways, at least this should be interesting to see how it turns out.
dawgstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I feel so bad for Funimation. If they could have pushed the 'stop fansubs' button they would have done it ages ago.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:

Lance Heiskell
Marketing Director

No, now with this comment you and Japan seem to be going down the same illogical road. Official streams were supposed to be a way to give you guys an revenue from putting out subs from Japan faster than fansubbers could get theirs out, it is not the magic cure to end fansubbing.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

While expressing no opinion on the matter whatsoever, do not believe it when fansub/distro groups claim to be based overseas. Less than 10% actually are. Registering an overseas domain or using an overseas server does not make you based overseas, either literally or legally.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Fractale Production Committee, I made you some web material.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:

Lance Heiskell
Marketing Director

My condolences also. I even watched the first episode twice. I'm really happy you stream on hulu by the way.
SanityPillar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:

Lance Heiskell
Marketing Director

I'm prepared to send you the name and address of at least one prominent member of a speedsubbing group who did Fractale.

Will you pursue legal action against them if I do? If not, then you have no right to put 100% of the blame against them as you are not doing your job as Fuji's distribution partner.

I will take a lack of response as admitting you are not doing your job to stop the problem and using speedsubs as a cop-out.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

While expressing no opinion on the matter whatsoever, do not believe it when fansub/distro groups claim to be based overseas. Less than 10% actually are. Registering an overseas domain or using an overseas server does not make you based overseas, either literally or legally.

OK, how about this:

No, It's Japan's fault for thinking you have either the time, resources, or money to shut down every known illegal source of their show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

I suppose if there is going to be a thread with ridiculous internet percentages it should be a thread with a ridiculous topic such as this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 26