• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation: Fractale Simulcast Returns on Monday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InsaneLampshade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
VDZ wrote:

For some reason, I just can't shake the notion that this might just have been something like a marketing trick to achieve this exact result.

I've been thinking that too like immediately after the cancellation announcement.

Yep, probably not enough people watching the stream, therefore not enough ad revenue.

Cue massive publicity stunt, now everyone and their dog knows about the stream and might watch it.
(minus everyone outside of the US of course....)

Especially considering "we have been taking the appropriate legal action" seems to translate to: "we have done nothing". Wink

Last edited by InsaneLampshade on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
VDZ wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
While originally I only had mild interest in seeing this show, I'll definitely start watching it this week and support their efforts.

For some reason, I just can't shake the notion that this might just have been something like a marketing trick to achieve this exact result.

yeah, that was my immediate reaction, too, especially since the series wasn't really getting all that much hype. Maybe I'm just cynical... oh well, I wasn't interested in seeing it before, and I'm not interested in seeing it now. I was just interested to see how this whole internet piracy thing would work out, and wondering if my prediction that it would be cleared up and ready to go by ep 3 would be right. And it was! How amazing. Rolling Eyes
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
InsaneLampshade wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
VDZ wrote:

I've been thinking that too like immediately after the cancellation announcement.

Yep, probably not enough people watching the stream, therefore not enough ad revenue.

Cue massive publicity stunt, now everyone and their dog knows about the stream and might watch it.

(minus everyone outside of the US of course....)

Probably got some Japanese merch sales too. Blu-ray pre-orders maybe??? Nice scheme.

Huge marketing ploy. Picked up another (craptastic) simulcast in the meantime. Maybe some people that would have not otherwise latched onto that because it was all that's available. FUNi knows whats up.

Last edited by luffypirate on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
mulrich

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
So they realized how halting the LEGAL stream was counter-productive in that it only assures people have to get the fansubs to keep watching?

Maybe they do have brains after all.
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

Huge marketing ploy. Picked up another (craptastic) simulcast in the meantime. Maybe some people that would have not otherwise latched onto that because it was all that's available. FUNi knows whats up.

I doubt anyone started watching that other one... whatever it was... because it was "all that's available", what with the huge amounts of legal simulcasts this season. But it did give there new show some press.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I already said this elsewhere, but THANK GOD Funimation can simulcast Fractale again. Now everyone can just calm down about this instead of creating massive eruptions of fansub/piracy derbates.... until the next time of course. Maybe just in time for the spring anime season and I can only pray some anime debate forecast system is somehow already installed on this website or somewhere else on the internet by then.
steev-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
WHAT?! Are you saying that even though Funimation has had an ENTIRE week to solve all piracy on the internet they have yet to do so?! I mean seriously, you are dropping the ball Funimation! Mad

It is ironic that fansubs got Fractale taken down and more than likely, fansubs got Fractale streaming again. My guess is that it was the direct stream rips that really pissed off Fractale's producers. Then after seeing that a fansub was out with in hours of a Japanese raw release, they figured it was not Funimation's fault for the fansub. I guess it could've been a promotional stunt, but taking into consideration that Fractale's director is a narcissistic douche bag, I doubt that is the case. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
VDZ wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
While originally I only had mild interest in seeing this show, I'll definitely start watching it this week and support their efforts.

Sounds similar to Dance In The Vampire Bund which i thought was a publicity stunt myself especially now looking back at the reaction it got.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Yay! The simulcast is back! Hooray! Very Happy
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
The simulcast is back, hurray! Now I can go right back to not being able to see it legally because I'm British.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
This is great news! I also hope for a DVD release in the near future. x3
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
They need to rotate their ads more. I saw the same bing ad for both Fractale and Freezing.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
The simulcast is back, hurray! Now I can go right back to not being able to see it legally because I'm British.
But the French have been able to watch it all along. Seems like a big inconsistency in which European countries have access to legal streams and which don't.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
VDZ wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:

Sounds similar to Dance In The Vampire Bund which i thought was a publicity stunt myself especially now looking back at the reaction it got.

Yup! I had not the slightest bit of interest in that show, but after those censorship threats I'm drooling at the chance to own it on Blu-ray for cheap.
feitian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode on Hulu because the concept sounded interesting and the preview on the ANN.

The drama really soured it for me. Reasoning behind the pulling of simulcast is utterly baffling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6