• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Evangelion Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

Wow, it sounds like you've never even seen the series. First of all, the main character, Shinji, is not a pretty boy. He's a total wuss.

Uh.

justdiver wrote:
specifically, was the part in the series were the boy pretty much masturbates onto his unconscious friend....
justdiver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of whether or not it takes place in the series or in the movies (which is a trivial point to make a jab at, especially seeing as how I haven't seen the series in several years, who cares?) the fact remains that it does happen. And I think it would be extremely stupid for them to liscense the series but not the movies, seeing as how the series is utterly uncomprehendible without the movies. But I'm not here to argue with you, I was simply pointing out something I thought would be intersting to take into contemplation. No need to get testy over it and start flinging insults.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
justdiver wrote:
Regardless of whether or not it takes place in the series or in the movies (which is a trivial point to make a jab at, especially seeing as how I haven't seen the series in several years, who cares?) the fact remains that it does happen. And I think it would be extremely stupid for them to liscense the series but not the movies, seeing as how the series is utterly uncomprehendible without the movies. But I'm not here to argue with you, I was simply pointing out something I thought would be intersting to take into contemplation. No need to get testy over it and start flinging insults.

Um, you can understand the series without the movies, especially since the movies came AFTER. And nobody insulted you.

Steventheeunuch wrote:
Uh.

Uh? Shinji's a wuss. What are you talking about?
cheese

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:36 am Reply with quote
the last two episodes of the series mirror eoe and were created by anno for shits and giggles. he got death threats because the fans werent pleased with the fact that the ending was conceptual. eoe, as it is, is just as conceptual if not more so. (along with a ton of eye candy that so called eva fans ignorantly adored.) the movie wasnt intended to answer any questions, only raise more of them.

if you haven't seen the series yet, after all of these years, go out and buy it. i cant believe adult swim licensed it, its going to piss off thousands of devoted fans. (including myself.)

this isnt a series that should be watched periodically every other thursday night to kill time. violence and religious references should be this forums last concern. for christs sake, at least run the series in subtitles.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:45 am Reply with quote
cheese wrote:

if you haven't seen the series yet, after all of these years, go out and buy it. i can't believe adult swim licensed it, its going to piss off thousands of devoted fans. (including myself.)

Why? Why are you pissed off that this will create more exposure to the series?

Quote:
this isnt a series that should be watched periodically every other thursday night to kill time. violence and religious references should be this forums last concern. for christs sake, at least run the series in subtitles.

Um, chances are, if people are interested, they're going to stick with it for the long run, because it loses it's episodic quality fairly quickly.

Also, why?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:50 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

Uh? Shinji's a wuss. What are you talking about?

That wasn't the point. What he said was "the boy pretty much masturbates onto his unconscious friend....", not "the pretty boy masturbates onto his unconcious friend....". No one ever denied he was a wuss or stated otherwise.
cheese

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Um, chances are, if people are interested, they're going to stick with it for the long run, because it loses it's episodic quality fairly quickly.

are you smoking crack? I've seen the series about 5 times through over the past.. 5 or 6 years, ill let you know when it losses its "episodic quality"..

i would imagine that if eva needed exposier it would have gotten licensed by some gay ass television station years ago. its quite apparent that adult swim licensed it to make money and not "please its fan base."

public access stations down here have tried licensing it years before but they were never able to aquire enough funding to keep the series running.. why do you think that is?

perhaps someone will be able to explain why they also feel that running eva in dubbed format on a public access station is a lil' revolting and unsettling. until then, go ahead and run your mouth some more.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
are you smoking crack? I've seen the series about 5 times through over the past.. 5 or 6 years, ill let you know when it losses its "episodic quality"..

Umm.. what? All I'm saying is that due to it losing an episodic nature fairly quickly, it has a high possibility of roping in viewers in the long run, who'll sit through the entire thing.

Quote:
i would imagine that if eva needed exposier it would have gotten licensed by some gay ass television station years ago. its quite apparent that adult swim licensed it to make money and not "please its fan base."

Yeah, Adult Swim licensed it to make money- what? Last I remember, Adult Swim practically had to beg ADV to get the license for it, and if they really wanted to make money from it, it wouldn't be airing at whatever crazy time it airs now.

While Adult Swim are no saints by any extent, they do occasionally license and air shows which, by nature, will not rate very well (Paranoia Agent, anyone?), but considering they like them, they'll go on. The money spent on Anime, which rates very low compared to US-produced content, could have easily gone to stuff that'd generate more ratings. But it's not? I'll let you figure that one out.

Quote:
public access stations down here have tried licensing it years before but they were never able to aquire enough funding to keep the series running.. why do you think that is?

1. lack of interested viewers
2. ADV wanting to keep their A-list properties for TAN
3. No clue. Where do you live, anyway? In Australia, Eva has been run roughly three times on Free-to-air and Adult Swim, completely uncut.

Quote:
perhaps someone will be able to explain why they also feel that running eva in dubbed format on a public access station is a lil' revolting and unsettling.

I have no clue what you're talking about here. I'll do my best to answer this. Where did you get the idea that Evangelion would air subtitled? I mean, the standard so far forAnime on TV is that it airs dubbed, if available. Evangelion, regardless of it's fan status, would not be an exception.

Quote:
until then, go ahead and run your mouth some more.

Touche.

Look, bud, I'm not trying to be offensive, but if you feel the need to reply to this, please display a bit more coherancy. Present your arguments and your opinions a little clearer, and try not to berate people who are simply trying to have a conversation.
cheese

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:45 am Reply with quote
i wasnt berating anyone but you.

I've been more than coherent and have presented my arguments quite clearly given the length of my posts. im glad you took the time to dissect every sentence i posted, you did a grand job of stated your own personal opinion. Im pretty sure that, consider eva was the anime that single-handedly braught anime to the us, adult swim decided to air it for the ratings and not break even. who the hell cares if they begged adv? i sure as hell dont. im sure it also crossed your mind that adult swim airs nearly all of its anime late at night, so im not quite sure why youre arguing that eva has a shitty time slot?

as far as the subtitles bit, i posted that comment to evoke some comradery. like you need an explaination for anything? you seem to have all the answers. i admit, suggesting for you to run your mouth some more was probably out of line and not a neccissary comment.

to answer your question, i live in california. eva is no doubt the greatest anime ever created in my personal opinion, i hold it in high regard. my argument is that adult swim picked the worst time to start airing it. i wish they would have left it up to the anime enthusiast to take it upon themselves to purchase eva and view/appriciate it whole-heartedly if they have not already done so. why put such a great work of art through the commercial ringer?

isnt that what forums are all about.. voicing your opinion? what is your opinion anyway? I've yet to get an idea of what any of this arguing means to you.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:07 am Reply with quote
cheese wrote:
i wasnt berating anyone but you.

Greaat

From what I can sum up, the post you made, as well as your stance, is a fairly selfish one. So what if they didn't air it X years ago? What's the big problem with them airing it now? Just because you think it's some holy relic doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to access it with greater ease.

Having a personal opinion is fine, infact, it's encouraged, however if you're not willing to accept criticism of it, either don't reply, or don't post it in the first place.

As for the commercial ringer bit, well, considering the extent of merchandise-whoring Gainax put Evangelion through, Adult Swim would be the least of their problems. Also, not everyone is a gigantic-die hard sub enthusiast, so I don't know where you got the comradery thing from.

I hope this won't get replied to, because really, having to listen to grating eva fanboy whines isn't the best thing in the world Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3